“Great Value for the Money”
Review of Hotel Carter

Hotel Carter
Ranked #415 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Rochester, New York
“Great Value for the Money”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Yes, the negative reviews had scared me. They were unfounded. My room was on the 8th floor. Not completely remodeled, but freshly painted, new tv, very comfortable queen size bed, newly tiled bathroom. Air conditioner worked fine. Awesome pillows. Hot Shower. Linens, mattress, towels, etc, all CLEAN. Best of all, the staff was consistently accommodating and friendly across the board. Better than some 5 stars I've stayed at. Can't say enough good about them.
The only surprise was that they haven't changed the carpet in the lobby. In summary, old - yes, dirty-no and you can't touch the price and location.

Room Tip: The pictures are of rooms on the 4th floor but it's hard to get.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jeff R
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at Hotel Carter. We take great pride in our cleanliness and service.We look forward to hosting you again in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We got a cheapo reservation on the web ($113 plus tax made about $144 per night). Stayed 2 nights. The location is perfect, right in the Times Square, Theater District and Garment District and walking distance to Bryant Park and a little farther to Penn Station. You can get anywhere from here. But the amenities are minimal. WHile the room and bathroom were clean, there was no coffee pot or reading lamps. Yes, there were towels and shampoos. No one made our bed or gave us new towels, but that wasn't really a problem. Wifi cost $10 for a 24-hour card. Lots of security downstairs. No restaurant or pool.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Helena W
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Carter.! I was glad to read that your enjoy the location of the hotel. Thank you again and hope to see you soon
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed for 3 nights at Hotel Carter for an avg of US$150. The location is great since it is basically on 43rd between 7th and 8th. I rolled my suitcase from Penn Station and it wasn't bad. Right near Times Square.

Lobby
The check in starts at 3pm, and check out is 11am. I arrived at about 9:30 am, so it was too early. You can pay $4/luggage to keep in a separate locked room. They will tag your suitcase and when you come back you just point out your suitcase and give the person your tag. There is a tickets booth in the lobby as well. There is Wifi but you have to pay for it. I didn't pay for wifi, so I don't know the cost.

The concierge is hit or miss. There were some friendly people and some that were alright. The person checking us in was talking to her colleague the entire time of the check in. The conversation was strange since she was saying how she cares more about older people than children. Honestly, it was raining the day I checked in. I rather be checked in faster than wait because she was carrying a conversation that can continue afterwards. Also when I asked about the wifi and other questions, while I received an answer, it was just like a really straight reply. The check out person was nice but all she had to do was take the room key.

There are couches for you to wait and there's a tv there as well. There are 3 elevators in the lobby. There are also washrooms on the side. There doesn't appear to be a dining area but it's attached to a diner where you can buy breakfast. I didn't eat there.

One thing to note when you arrive at the doors of the hotel is a set of mini stairs. So you'll have to carry your suitcase up. I didn't notice a ramp but that could be hidden.

Room
My room had two double beds and a nice size closet and a washroom. There was a air conditioner attached to the window and that was about it. The washroom had no ventilation. So it felt quite moist at times after a shower? The beds were alright, not too firm and not too soft. I checked for bedbugs and our beds in our room did not have it. They cleaned our room during the third day of our stay. Personally, we kept our towels off the floor, so it didn't really matter to me but if that matters to you, I just want to note that they cleaned our room once in our three night stay. There is a mini tv in the room too. There was no safe in the room. I don't usually use safes in hotel rooms anyway but that might be important for others.

Bathroom
The shower head in the washroom was nice. Just because it had good pressure. Usually in the hotels I've stayed at the pressure is pretty light, so this was great! Especially after a long walk. The mirror on our sink wouldn't close so it's always opened. There was no hair dryer. I didn't try to request for one though.

Overall
If you only care about location and price, then this is a good hotel option. When I was booking, there were more expensive choices for about the same amount of stars and further. Hotel Carter is very convenient because it's just steps away from Times Square and if you want to watch a show on Broadway. Also there are a lot of food options. There's a few McDonald's and Starbucks near by. There is also a few Gentlemen's clubs but what happens inside those doesn't affect the location of Hotel Carter. The only thing for me is, I wish there was ventilation for the washroom. I understand in older NYC homes and hotels the washroom might not have a window but it would be nice to have a vent but it could be due to the structure. I noticed that it's not like I could hear noise from the outside, even though we are next to Times Square. In the bathroom, I can hear some rumbling but within the room itself, the noise level was good. There might be one night we could hear our neighbours but usually it was quiet.

I would stay here again for the right price due to convenience of location and big beds. It does look outdated though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Choco_robba
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments and share some great information with others. We look forward to your return trip to NYC.
England
Reviewed 16 June 2014

After reading all the previous reviews me and my partner were very apprehensive about staying at Hotel Carter! However...we were pleasantly surprised when arriving here. We were greeted by security doormen and our first impressions were great!

The hotel was very clean, a little old fashioned but staff were lovely and friendly! Free wifi in the lobby.

We stayed on the 5th floor and our room was very spacious, queen sized bed, flat screen t.v, air con was very good. Clean bathroom with powerful, hot shower! & we were given clean towels etc every other day!

The hotel is along the same road as Hard Rock Cafe and in between Times Square and 8th avenue which has plenty of restaurants and diners!

Shuttle bus to JFK for two - $50

If you're looking for a basic hotel, just to rest your head then Hotel Carter is perfect!!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Clp4x
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words, particularly about the Hotel Carter Team. We take great pride in our people and feel strongly they are, hands down, our biggest asset. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Houston
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

One month after booking a room at this hotel I decided to do some research and after reading all the comments I was starting to get worried but decided to stay at this hotel anyways . After my 1st 3 days in my 1st hotel it was time to pack and head over to hotel carter all the bad reviews stuck in my head . I tried to check in early and to my surprised I was able to check in at 12:30pm . Front desk was friendly as I'm walking into my room the room was clean and way bigger then the other hotel I was staying in around the corner . I keep my do not disturb sign on my door at all times but every-time a cleaning lady saw me they asked if I needed fresh towels or trash i didn't want . And it's also in a perfect location . over all I had a good experience and I already recommended this hotel to friends that travel to NYC if you are out and about all say and want a cheap hotel on a perfect location then this is the place to be . I'm a huge breakfast lover and the cafe next door serves it all day and it's good . And yes I will be back !

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Reyesrr55
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay! We are glad that we met your expectations. Warm Regards.
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Not worth the $200 per night, very over priced for what you get. Tiny room, tiny bathroom, towels are like paper and you have to ask for more as your room not serviced, we stayed 4 nights. Only good thing is location just off times square. Security at hotel lobby. Staff where friendly

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Bit nervous after reading reviews but Room was comfortable, big walk in closet to store luggage and decent size bathroom. Very old but reasonably clean , staff were helpful, and doorman was a great help with the luggage. lifts a bit slow in the morning, especially up to 17th floor. Could do with an extra blanket on bed. Location is very close to Times Square. Wouldn't be my first choice but was ok.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Swaneeqld
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide the best service experience and it is great to read from our guest. We look forward to your return trip to NYC and of course be our guest again