“Boutique Hotel with Fantastic Ambience!”

IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel
Ranked #247 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was my second stay at this property, and after another outstanding experience, I will definitely stay at the 70 Park Hotel on future visits to NYC!

This was a belated anniversary celebration for my husband and I, so we opted to stay in a queen suite. The room was GORGEOUS - decorated in a sophisticated, modern colors with huge windows and a fabulous seating alcove with a view of the Empire State Building. The bathroom was spacious with a jetted, whirlpool tub and the queen bed was incredibly comfortable.

What truly makes this hotel special, however, is the exceptional people who work there. When we arrived, there was a bottle of wine, box of mini cupcakes and a card signed by hotel management and staff members. I have never felt more welcome at a hotel!

This hotel is also in a great location - just a few blocks from Grand Central Station and there is a Starbucks just a block away. There are also some great restaurants in the neighborhood, which is quiet and much less hectic than other parts of the city. We have also stayed at The Muse, another Kimpton property near Times Square, but much prefer the quiet, relaxed atmosphere of the 70 Park Hotel. This hotel truly is an oasis in the city!

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors tend to have great views and are quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

A TripAdvisor Member
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel is within walking distance of Grand Central Terminal. Not as central as some other hotels but that was good as New York traffic is noisy. Room was on the 4th floor. After the first night could sleep through the traffic, so no real problem. The hotel and room was really clean. Wardrobe, iron, ironing board, hairdryer all in the room. Bed was big and very comfortable. Lots of towels. Bath and shower. Breakfast was a selection of cereals, bagels, Danish pastries, salmon, boiled eggs, toast, yoghurts, tea and coffee - as much as you could eat. Liked that you didn't have to go out to eat first thing. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have a decided preference for Kimpton Hotels, and will usually opt for one of their properties, if available.

I stay at this hotel fairly often. It's very well located, and well appointed. The staff is friendly, and anticipates needs. It's not a rote recitation from the manual, but rather a very warm personal touch. Check in is quick. The room, which was an upgrade, was commodious, and the bed and linen comfy. Furniture was stylish and comfortable.

But there was trouble in paradise. The heat in my room didn't work, and the shower lacked water pressure. A rare event, but not a pleasant surprise, especially after a long day at work. This was a first in the many nights I've stayed at Kimpton hotels. Usually there aren't any problems.

The staff went way beyond the minimum they could get away with in order to make amends.

I judge more on what a company will do when things go wrong, than just on what happens when all is good.

Kimpton hotels gets it right, on both counts. I'm back for two more nights next week.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Rob S
Reviewed 27 October 2013

In the past, all I looked for in an NYC hotel was a comfortable bed an a nearby subway station. My boyfriend and I stayed at 70 Park Ave. for a weekend and truly loved the experience. The customer service was great from the start, and the room was quite spacious. Perks include: complimentary coffee in the morning, the New York Times left at your door daily, nightly wine reception and it's just a short walk from Grand Central station. I'd highly recommend staying here, I had no complaints.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erica C
Reviewed 27 October 2013

After extensive searching for a cost-effective and comfortable hotel in NYC for under $300, I was thrilled to find 70 Park Avenue which offered a great rate via AAA for under 250, including taxes! What a deal for NYC! My husband and I were touring for two days and one night in celebration of our anniversary, which I let the hotel know in the comments section when I booked the room. We had booked a queen bedroom. Upon arriving at the hotel around noon, we were warmly welcomed and informed that we had been upgraded to a queen suite! Whoo, hooo! Hello NYC! We also had a complimentary bottle of wine and free wine tickets for the bar! We were too early to check in and check out this upgraded room, so the hotel graciously held our bags while we toured for the day. Upon our return that evening, we checked into our room and were absolutely blown away. Major space, two rooms, wine, bathrobes, slippers, and ever oh so comfortable! We were on the 14th floor in a corner room that had a view of the Empire State Building. We loved this room so much that we decided to stay one additional night and the hotel offered us a very reasonable 2nd night rate for the room. On the second day, we took advantage of the wine happy hour, which was great, and we also did the continental breakfast which was very good for the price: bagel, lox, coffee, Greek yogurt with granola, chocolate croissant all for under $20! Again, very good for NYC. The hotel staff were so friendly, kind and helpful. We will definitely return again and I have told many of my friends about this gem of a hotel. Also, it is in close proximity to Grand Central Station, which is perfect if you plan on using the subway system, which I think is the only way to expediently get around NYC, besides walking. And it is an easy walk to the Empire State Building, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue, etc. And, we loved the restaurant/deli-Malone's-one block east on Lexington Avenue. Thank you 50 Park Avenue.

Room Tip: We were on the 14th floor. Never heard anyone else. Did hear street noise, but that's NYC!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lovetogo55
Bill B, General Manager at IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Lovetogo55,

Thank you so much for the AWESOME review!!! We are so glad that we were able to make your anniversary so special!!

And no need to thank us, it's truly our pleasure!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and I chose it to celebrate the birthday of my two grown daughters. I let the hotel know ahead of time about the celebration and they provided special goodies in the room for us, as well as free drinks in the bar. We encountered a small problem with our room which was dealt with in a swift and pleasant way. I have never seen a more responsive and friendly staff. While the room with two queen beds is not large by any means, it seemed a good deal for New York. There are not many hotels that provide two queen beds.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Wanderer07

Dear Wanderer07,

Thank you so much for choosing our property to celebrate your daughters birthdays!!! We're so glad to hear that you loved the treats!
I'm sorry it seems you encountered a small glitch during your stay but we sure are happy that we were able to make it up to you!!
Hopefully we'll be seeing you for many more birthdays to come!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 22 October 2013

While the customer service was friendly, the property itself is not up to Kimpton standards. It feels very dated. I've stayed at 7 different Kimpton locations and have loved every single one up to now. As many other reviewers stated, the room is just too small - even for NYC - to be considered a nice, boutique hotel. The bathroom door sides to close since there isn't enough room to have a regular door open out in to the bedroom (it would hit the bed) or in to the bathroom (it would hit the toilet). The bathroom had a very ill-placed radiator less than an inch from the toilet. The towels were thin and scratchy. The water pressure in the bathroom sink was stronger than it was in the shower and the water didn't get very hot. I bent down to plug in my computer at the desk (the outlets should be built into the top of the desk, not on the floor) and the baseboards and power strip (seriously?) had a half inch of dust built up. The wood blinds were very dusty as well. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were soft (as is true in other Kimpton Hotesl I've stayed at).

In looking through previous reviews some guests seemed to think this this hotel was fine. I guess it depends on your standards. If you are a savvy traveler and have experienced a truly decent boutique hotel you will NOT find this one satisfactory. However, if you enjoy a standard budget hotel chain (because this location barely meets those standards) it might suit your tastes. As a frequent business traveler...no way, no how.

Very disappointed as I swear by Kimpton Hotels as a business traveler. I will continue to stay at other locations but never this location again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank kirstin99
Bill B, General Manager at IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear kirstin99,

I want to personally apologize for us not meeting your expectations during this trip, I would very much like to go over the details about the issues you experienced.
Please feel free to email me directly at bill.babis@70parkave.com.

Hopefully we can regain your loyalty at this Kimpton propertly! I look forward to speaking with you!

Warmest Regards,