“Great All Around” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Delaware
“Great All Around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

The location is perfect...near shopping, food, and attractions. The staff was extremely kind and friendly. The decor and ambiance is European chique and comfort, especially the open tiled bath. We took advantage of the Jetsetter promotion. Despite the discount at the restaurants, we did not take advantage, thought they looked interesting. The companion hotel is The Court next door.
The visitors were from all over the world and very friendly and quiet.

Room Tip: The king suite is perfect for two and worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear DelawareSandy,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany! We are delighted that you enjoyed our spacious, modern rooms and amenities—the Loft Suites are particularly great, and we are so glad you had a great stay on one. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Should you be interested in returning to visit in January or February, we have some great promotions running, including our Book Direct and Save rate at 10% off, or our Advance Purchase Rate at 20% off (includes breakfast!). Visit our website or contact our Director of Revenue and Reservation, Christopher Jevas, at christopherj@stgilesnewyork.com for more information.

We hope to welcome you back to The Tuscany for a future visit!

@StGilesTuscany

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Salem, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Returned from a weekend in NYC. Had not stayed in the city for many years, so was really looking forward to this. Overall, a decent stay at the Tuscany. The check-in was painless and we were accommodated early. Our room was on the second floor facing the back of the house. It was very quiet and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was somewhat cramped, (no counter space for toiletries) although the shower was great. The room was spacious to the point that there was actually a lot of wasted space, but not very inviting or warm.

My biggest gripe probably had not too much to do with the hotel itself, but the location. It is in Murray Hill, which was not nearly as lively as other parts of town that we ventured to. And, amazingly, on Saturday night, the hotel bar (and the one next door at the Court) did not open until 6pm. We had to go up the street to get a cocktail. And, the "happy hour" specials were decidedly unappetizing. House wine and beers for about a $1 less than there usual prices. No craft beers on special (although NY has many craft breweries) and no food specials whatsoever. My idea of a happy hour is that there are unusual items on special including food. And, on Sunday evening, the bar at the Court was not open at all. I guess that the hotel group has made a decision that Sunday is not a great bar night, but it left little in the way of choices, as the selection at the Tuscany bar is far inferior to what is available at the Court.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dudleywysong
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear dudleywysong,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany. We are glad to hear that check in was easy and efficient and that we were able to accommodate you with an early arrival. We are also delighted that you found our rooms comfortable and the shower to your liking. We regret to hear that some of the room features, our location, and the hours of operation of our food and beverage outlets did not meet your expectations. We are in a period of transition with our food and beverage service, and we will be expanding our hours, food and beverage options in the coming months. And if our outlets are not meeting your needs, our front desk and concierge staff are on hand to offer excellent selections within a three0block radius of the hotel. Should you be so inclined, I would like to speak with you further regarding your visit so that we can determine the best way to provide an outstanding experience to each and every guest. We are sorry to hear that your experience of Murray Hill left you feeling disappointed—we love welcoming and introducing people to the neighborhood and would love to have another opportunity to show you its true character.

Lagos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

This hotel is a good choice for Manhattan. The rooms are spacious, well maintained, the hotel is well positioned and the staff are great. It also comes at a great price too compared with other hotels within the same class.

On location: It is close enough (walking distance) to major tourists sites and far enough from the madness and noise. it is about 6 minutes walk to Grand Central station. 12 minutes to Bryant Park and 20 minutes to Time Square. There are lots of shops restaurants and cafes all around.We even found a church, The Landmark Episcopal Church in Murray Hill close by and we were able to attend the morning service.

The staff here are great and attentive. They kept all my amazon orders which were delivered before my arrival.

Don't bother about the hotel breakfast (they have a small in house cafe (Audrey's Cafe ) that serves basic breakfast, muffins, toast ,coffee etc). For me it was even a good option that breakfast was not in the room rate because there are great restaurants all around to enjoy fabulous breakfast. The sister property next door (The Court) offers breakfast. It was adequate but not great.

You must not miss breakfast at Pershing Square Restaurant directly opposite the Grand Central station. People queue here to get sitted. That is how good the breakfast is.

Scotty's Diner on Lexington Avenue (3 minutes walk from the hotel) is also a great choice. there are also Chinese, Italian and Indian restaurants all around. the Chinese restaurant just beside Scotty's is good (cant remember the name)

The rooms are well sized, recently renovated with all that you need including an electric iron. You have to ask for the coffee making machine and they'll deliver one to your room with complementary teas, coffee etc.

They were very thoughtful to have the American adapter in the room at a small fee.

One of the most delightful things for me is the variety of TV channels available. We were able to watch our favorite English Premier League matches! This for me was a huge bonus

I couldn't recommend this place enough for couples, solos and families with older children.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear MissMot,

What a marvelous review of your recent visit to The Tuscany—thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor! We love it when guests discover what a hidden gem Murray Hill is, and we are delighted to see that you made the most of the restaurants and shops just a short walk away (Mapo Tofu is the great little Chinese restaurant next to Scotty’s Diner!). We love it when our staff leaves a great impression, and I will be happy to share your kind words with the front office team. Please come back and catch another Premier League game with us again soon!

Carlisle, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

First, we got a bargain by reserving this through Jetsetter. That made the stay even better. If way had paid the rack rate for the room, we would have been just as pleased. We're not used to staying on the East side when we visit NYC. We're usually over closer to Broadway if we are seeing a show or trying to save a little money by staying downtown. This is a great hotel. We drove in for a change, and parked at the entrance. Most of the staff was young and very friendly and conversational. If you're looking for a stuffy concierge, this is not your place. If you are looking for people to give you advice and help, be their guest. The room was fantastically large with a huge closet. We took a little while to get the hang of the lighting system (the lights for the bathroom and most of the bedroom have a master switch by the door). Great, huge TV with good reception. Lots of room to store things and nice upholstered chairs to relax in with a table in between and a large hanging lamp above. The bath is smallish, but has a beautiful glass shower with a waterfall head and a tight-fitting glass door that didn't leak water outside the enclosure. There was a drawer under the sink with a hair dryer and extra towels, tissues, etc. No real restaurant on site (it's small), but a bar/lounge area that seemed to be intermittently staffed.We were there for just one night, and once I got there, I wish we would have been staying longer. I liked being there, and the staff seemed that they enjoyed being there, too.

Room Tip: We were down on the fourth floor, so I don't know if there are better views up above. Our room w...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear willgal,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany! We are delighted to heat that you had such a wonderful stay with us, and that our great staff left a wonderful impression—I will be sure to share your kind words with our entire Front Office team. We are so glad that our spacious rooms and modern amenities seemed to be a perfect fit for you. Please come back and stay with us again soon, this time for a longer visit!

sherman oaks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I travel all over the world and I never have contributed to Travel Advisor because I like to forget most of my hotel experiences. I was so impressed that I would lose sleep if I didn't commend this hotel. I was also hesitant to give a review because if this hotel gets popular, I am nervous I wont be able to get a reservation again! I am the pickiest of travelers and there is never a place where I havn't had a problem...except this hotel! I am a former New Yorker and come back every few months. I had stayed in this area one time before and loved it so knew that the location was excellent. There is a beautiful relaxing feel when you walk in the lobby. I am used to the four seasons and ritz carlton so wasn't sure if a boutique hotel was for me. The staff are are very hip and young, unlike the fancy hotels but I loved it! Our room fit 2 kids and 2 adults with no problem. The beds were so comfy, the view of the chrysler Building was perfect for my facebook update photo :) The bathroom shower was the best I ever had in NYC. I felt like I was in my own apartment. There is a huge drawer in the bathroom that I held all of my junk in so the sink was not crowded, there was a great hall to put my suitcases in when packing and unpacking. The closet was a normal size. There were enough drawers for NYC standards, a full length mirror, a beautiful large screen tv, a reading light, a great desk with tons of outlets for my ipads, ipods, computers and phones. The day bed was perfect for my 9 year old to sleep. Anything I needed, I literally got it in just a few minutes!! The funniest part of the stay was that I was in the elevator on the way up and I said "I am in the mood for coffee, I wish there was coffee in the lobby". I got up to my room and there was a coffee pot with coffee in my room!! It was just a coincidence because while I was gone eating or shopping, housekeeping happened to put it in my room without me asking - but it was funny, since we were astonished at how fast things happened there! haha. One of the staff members at the desk didn't bother to look up anytime we came down to the lobby but the rest of the staff made up for it. In fact, he was really rude to me when I asked him if anybody had found a scarf I lost , but he gave me a late checkout, so that made me happy. My only negative comment is that I can't find the hotel for next year at the "jetsetter"price I had found for this trip/. I have 2 more trips to NY coming up and I have been checking every day. The price they charge is MORE than reasonable but I am able to stay in my family's apartment for free so it has to be cheaper for me to make sense..if I get a little better price than what is showing right now, I am definitely staying there every time I come!

Room Tip: The elevator beeps every single time it opens and closes but compared to NYC noises outside, you get...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank latripshermanoaks
Dear latripshermanoaks,

It was an absolute pleasure to read about your recent stay at The Tuscany, thank you so much for sharing it here on TripAdvisor! We are especially happy to impress a former New Yorker. I am delighted to hear that out staff took such great care during your visit, and I will be sure to share your review with them (rudeness, however, is not tolerated, and I will be sure to bring this to everyone’s attention—warm, friendly service is our standard with each and every guest!).

I would be our pleasure to look at the dates of your upcoming visit for our best rates and availability. Simply email our Director of Revenue and Reservations, Christopher Jevas, and mention the promo code THANKS for great rates and special offers for your upcoming stays.

We hope to welcome you back to The Tuscany very soon!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited New York for the first time for his 30th birthday in November 2013 and this hotel was a perfect base for us to explore the city. We purchased a subway ticket so it was very handy being only a couple of blocks from Grand Central. To be honest, we did not utilise all of the facilities, such as the fitness suite or breakfast area nor did with have much interaction with hotel staff but the room was spacious and the hotel has a calm and relaxed atmosphere which suited us perfectly when returning from a day's site seeing. There were a couple of glitches with our bathroom such as the sink blocking but this was rectified quickly without even having to ask. We had a drink sitting at the bar one night which was slightly chilly but otherwise a very pleasant stay and would recommend.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susie-Lou_2011
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Susie-Lou_2011,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany! It was a pleasure to help you celebrate your boyfriend’s 30th birthday, and we are delighted to hear that you found our location and our spacious modern rooms were such a great base for your New York City adventure. We are sorry to hear that you had a problem with the sink, but glad to hear that our great staff rectified the situation quickly and seamlessly. Please come back and visit us in Murray Hill again soon!

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Spent my 50th birthday at The Tuscany and could not fault anything.Being rather fussy,I am always quite critical of hotels but this exceeded all my expectations.An enormous de-lux room ,which was definitely worth the little extra! Emailed ahead and asked for a coffee maker,which was duly arranged albeit after .Will .definitley stay here again if lucky enough to return.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gillian T
Dear Gillian T,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany! We were honored to host you for such a special occasion, and it was our pleasure to help you celebrate your 50th birthday in New York City. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Deluxe Studio—these spacious and inviting rooms get high marks across the board. We are sorry to hear that the coffeemaker was not arranged in advance, as requested, and I will be certain to follow up with our teams to ensure that such requests are arranged prior to arrival. Please do come back to visit us in Murray Hill again soon!