“Will not sweep you off your feet”

The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel
Ranked #99 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The Tuscany has a lot going for it. The size of the room is certainly the best thing about the hotel, and location is very convenient for Grant Central, Bryant Park, etc. Views are also pretty great from the higher floors. I had the Empire State Bldg and rooves.

I stayed four nights in January 2014. New York was cold (-12 during the day) and snowy during this time. The reception at the hotel was also rather cool, as in not all that welcoming – this goes for the men in particular. I did not detect a customer focus in the staff behind the counter: an air of vain detachment instead. No doormen were to be seen as I struggled to enter from the blizzard with two big suitcases. Again the doormen were nowhere near the door when I came in and out of the hotel throughout my stay.

The Tuscany is a hotel but feels more like a service apartment place. No breakfast is included and the lobby is small and an odd shape that leaves no cozy spaces. One must take a few steps down to reach the elevator which is not convenient with luggage. The specially designed furniture also has a cold feel, all the spaces are sort of on permanent display. There is no restaurant, only a bar.

The room was nice, with extra seating space. There was no tea/coffee facilities. Water was $6 a bottle. Wifi was free and worked well. I would prefer not to have to log in every time I wanted to use it. I only received one bathrobe and one set of toileteries. Housekeeping wanted to come in before 9am and minibar check man in the middle of the day.

I would consider the hotel for a business stay only. There are much nicer places to spend time with a loved one in New York. I am surprised it ranks so high as it’s a very impersonal place to stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors and away from the elevator
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Discovering_the_new
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Discovering_the_new,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your spacious, modern rooms, your view of the Empire State Building, and our great Murray Hill location. We regret to learn, however, that your experience of our staff and service did not live up to your expectations. Warm, personal service is our standard for every guest of The Tuscany, and we are disappointed that we did not live up to those standards during your visit. I would like to speak with you personally regarding your experience so we can take the proper steps to improve. Should you feel so inclined, please reach out to me at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.592.8877. We hope to have another opportunity to show you a true St Giles Experience.

Chris Swaim
Director of Guest Services
@StGilesTuscany

Write a ReviewReviews (1,963)

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Tuscany from 1/20-1/23/14. We found the hotel to be just great. The location was a block from Grand Central Station and very central. Our room was clean and comfortable. Most importantly. every one we had contact with was warm, friendly and accommodating. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter
1  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 24 January 2014

When I arrived at the hotel I was in much need of relaxation. I asked Dennis for an upgrade & he hooked me up which was really nice & my room was absolutely awesome compared to where I had been staying previously. The place was an excellent treat; Stunning views, most comfortable bedding I think I've ever experienced, nice amenities in the room & perfectly clean. I have pretty high expectations and have stayed some really nice resorts and I would vote the Master Suite as one of the top 3 best rooms I have ever stayed in. My only recommendation is that the bar area on the lobby floor could offer a more inviting atmosphere it seemed very cold & there was nobody drinking or spending time there during my visit which made it unappealing. Also the elevator was making a weird noise but they assured me that their on site engineer had it checked and that it was safe. They were nice enough to hold my bags pretty late & I stayed in the lobby with the nicest lady who was working that night & she let me relax there until I had to catch an early flight which was a relief. Thank you for everything!!! gratitude from Canada

Room Tip: Choose the Master Suite, there is no pool and I did not make it to their gym.
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We.have been visiting NYC for some time and this hotel was one of the nicest combinations of value, great rooms and staff we have encountered. We booked due to a Travelzoo special. The room was very spacious (and not just by NYC standards) , bed was incredibly comfortable king, nice modern bathroom, and staff were great. We had problem with safe and some one came up within a few minutes. Free continental breakfast had good coffee, great pastries, and decent fruit salad and yogurt. Didn't check out gym facilities. Free Internet service was reliable. The only limitation is that the location is on the East Side so it is about a mile from Times Square and about same to Central Park but it is close to Lexington Ave subway and walk is pleasant in good weather.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David A
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My husband, teenage daughter and I spent a three day weekend in New York for our daughter's 15th birthday. My husband and I had stayed at the St. Giles before in a room with one king bed, so we knew it was a nice hotel. Our two-bed room was so spacious. The beds were the most comfortable I had ever had in a hotel (or home). The bathroom was so beautiful I wanted to take it home with me! The price was reasonable - I had made the reservations a couple of months before, so don't know how much it would have been last-minute. Good location - quiet but not far from Penn Station and Broadway. We loved it!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2014

First visit to New York and I think I picked the best Hotel around. Nice location, nice room, nice everything. And value for money, just like we Dutch like it. Don;t hesitate to book this hotel, you wont be disappointed.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed at the Tuscany for 2 nights over New Years and had a wonderful time! It was the perfect location; close to trains, restaurants, and bars yet tucked away from the hustle and bustle. The room was fairly large for NYC standards, so there was plenty of space to get ready for New Years Eve fun with my friends. When it came time to check out I was sad to leave the comfy bed and rainfall style shower. Also LOVED that they provide Molton Brown bath amenities.

Room Tip: Higher floors have views of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. Rooms near the elev...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends