“Midtown Manhattan Jewel - Bravo St. Giles!”

The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel
Ranked #93 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Poughquag, New York
“Midtown Manhattan Jewel - Bravo St. Giles!”
Reviewed 18 June 2010

The newly-remodeled St.Giles caught my eye with a very cool rate for a mid-town Hotel. We had tickets to see the Emeril show, which was a painless 10 minute cab ride away. Truly central to all points in Manhattan the St. Giles was a couple blocks walk for my daughter and I from Grand Central Station. The neighborhood was very cute with a selection of restaurants within a block or two. The service and the room was impeccable. The check in process went smoothly, and they checked our bags effortlessly the next day. The design and decor was very modern-chic. The Lounge was lovely and had soft sumptuous sofas. The rooms were well appointed and the beds were heavenly. This is an older hotel that has undergone a lovely renovation. We had a spectacular view of the empire state building. Other floors as the housekeeping (who were kind enough to actually show us another room on the opposite side of our floor) sported amazing views of the Chrysler building. This is definitely a place I'd recommend to friends and family. My daughter and I had a lovely time here

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto Ontario
Reviewed 14 June 2010

The staff at St. Giles are amazing.
My experience began with Clayton Channing helping me get the accommodation I wanted. His quick response influenced my decision to stay at St. Giles.
All the staff were approachable & thinking of the guest , making suggestions, answering questions starting with a warm friendly welcome & ending with booking Winston to drive to the airport. John was so helpful. His smile welcoming me back after shopping, meetings, touring made me feel at home.
I never opened a door for myself in the 2 days I was there.
The accommodation was spacious & quiet although in the center of things.
Audrey's the lovely breakfast nook in the morning & comfortable lounge in the evening was a treat.
Loved the apples, cold water, maps & newspapers.
Barbara Toronto Canada

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Manchester
Reviewed 8 June 2010

We loved this hotel. Our room was huge and we loved the boutique style. The staff were all pleasant which we discovered is not something you can say about everyone who works in the service industry in New York and they are therefore to the hotel's credit! The bar and lobby were extremely stylish although we didn't take advantage of them as we were too busy sight seeing and drinking with friends! The hotel is located down a quieter street and in an excellent location - right near Grand Central Terminal and our room had a view of The Empire State Building. We actually walked most places and took in the atmosphere of this amazing city - I could walk around there for days! Other reviewers have commented on the bathrooms and sure, they're not brand new but they are kept clean and in my opinion they still look nice. A hotel bathroom can't stay looking brand new forever and really ours wasn't such that it requires any negative comments! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I recently stayed here on my first visit to New York. The rooms were very large, comfortable and surprisingly quiet! The staff were really friendly and made us feel very welcome. The location is great - just steps away from Lexington and/or Park Avenue, a short walk to Grand Central Station and it was easy to get to and from just about everywhere in the city. Having seen the asking prices for many New York hotels, I think the Tuscany is great value. It had everything we were looking for and I'd most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I stayed at the St. Giles Tuscany over the Memorial Day holiday weekend. I booked it using Priceline and the the price was very good. This hotel used to be the W Tuscany and had just changed about 4 weeks before we stayed there.

The rooms are very large for Manhattan, but the hotel is a little worn. The bathroom was average at best and only one elevator was in operation and I saw no one actually working on repairing the second.

Priceline rates this as a 4 star hotel, but I would place it more along the lines of a 3 to 3.5 star hotel. The location is excellent just a few blocks from Grand Central and easy walking distance to Times Square and the Theater District. The staff were very cordial and helpful. This hotel has many smoking rooms and we had to pay extra to have a non smoking room which bothered me quite a bit, had my wife been with me this would have been a deal breaker for this hotel.

Overall it was a good experience and value since I used priceline to win a low rate. I would not pay the regular going rate for this hotel as there are too many better and less expensive options in the city.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
calgary
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stayed there the first week in May.. I wouldn't considered this a 4 star hotel more between a 2 and 3. Definitely needs renovation especially the washrooms. The bathtub enamel was worn away and the shower head was poor and water was spraying everywhere. Room was of a decent size and the beds were comfy. Staff were friendly and helpful. And there were always free apples at the reception area. At that time, the one elevator was still down. The other working elevator would be slow at times and we would use the stairs instead. Unfortunately we found someone's t-shirt and underwear left behind the curtains on our last day. Front desk immediately contacted housekeeping to have that cleared away.

This hotel is located in Murray Hill, I found to be a safe and quiet neighborhood. Lots of inexpensive breakfast and lunch places surrounding the area. Close to Grand Central Station and we used the subway a few times and it was quick to get to your destination.

My other family members stayed at the Shelbourne Affinia up the street and it was a nicer hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel at this time unless the new owners, St.Giles do some major renovations.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank dragoncalgary
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Lovely hotel. Was recently aquired by St Giles (used to be a W Hotel) and they have kept the rooms very nice; rooms at Tuscany are amongst largest in Manhattan. Staff very attentive and room service very reliable. Night time turn down service was a nice touch as was the bottled water at bedside each night and charming breakfast staff, very chatty. Stones throw from Empire State, Chrysler, Little India, Grand Central 2 blocks. Very convenient location. Free apples at reception.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business