“Well worth the stay”

Hotel Edison Times Square
Ranked #311 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel over New Years Eve. The location was great! We were in a Signature King room on the 19th floor. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The bathroom was modern and well designed. The i,n room safe and wifi worked well, but could not get the wifi to work in the lobby. The only concern was the small size of the closet. It was very tiny and dresses and suits were difficult to hang because the safe was in the way. Otherwise, this was a great experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barb111
Hotel E, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Barb111,

We are happy to read you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Edison. Thank you for the favorable comments regarding the decor, amenities and location. We are sorry to hear that you found the closet space in the rooms to be small, but its feedback like yours that allows us to improve on our service. We thank you for the complimentary review and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

The Hotel Edison hearkens back to an age that best defines New York---the Art Deco of the 30s. You can see Art Deco throughout the city in the designs of doorways, ledges on buildings, lighting, caps of skyscrapers (Chrysler Building), and hotels, more specifically The Hotel Edison.

This hotel has been beautifully refurbished with modern conveniences, yet retains the lovely Art Deco style. If you love the movies of the 30s and 40s, especially the film noirs with hotel detectives lurking about, you will love your stay here. (I kept looking for the bellhop calling for Phillip Morris!) From the moment you enter through the revolving door and see the checkered floor, the lights, the articulate designs in the moldings, the furniture and designer rugs in the lobby, the marbled walls, you feel a rush of adrenaline, as if you'd found that place in time you were always looking for ... somewhere over the rainbow, in a place like that Art Deco Valhalla known as Emerald City.

When we arrived earlier than check-in time, the friendly staff checked and held our bags for us while we ate lunch at the Cafe Edison in the hotel. Danielle, the sweet clerk at the reception desk, gave us a call when our room was ready. And our room was lovely, with dark furniture and white tiled bathroom. We really appreciated the steam pipe in the bathroom, keeping it warm while the temps outside plunged to single digits.

With the extremely cold temperatures, our heating unit froze up a couple of times, but a call to the reception desk brought maintenance folks quickly to thaw out the system. The room temperature was the only flaw I found here. When the heat was on, the room quickly became too hot; when the heat was turned down to a comfortable level, the space under the window where the unit was located was too cold, and the system froze up. The hotel staff members were prompt, however, to get things back on track!

When you stay here, be sure to check out the gift shop. The products are wonderful, and the prices are less expensive than anything else in Times Square.

The location is fantastic; it's just a few yards from the hotel's front door to the TKTS booth for discounted Broadway tickets, and you're within walking distance of many theaters.

I highly recommend the Hotel Edison!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor, and the street noise (especially the honking horns) could be loud at t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Roger H

Dear Roger H,

Thank you for your comments. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were impressed with our polite and helpful staff. We do apologize for the deficiencies with the heating system in your room, but on a positive note we are extremely pleased that you enjoyed so much the hotel has to offer, from the location, Edison Cafe, right down to the details of our furniture and walls. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I loved everything about this hotel. My room was on the very top floor and was amazing!!! I didn't expect to get what I got. It was perfect!! The best hotel I've ever stayed in! You made my birthday vacation to be as wonderful as it was. Great location, friendly staff, great service, clean beautiful room on the top floor, downstairs bar and cafe.....PERFECT!!!!! I will definitely stay there again and again and again!!!! I can't thank you enough!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Denise B

Dear Denise B,

What a lovely review! Thank you for taking the time to write it. We are glad that we have lived up to your expectations. Our aim is always to exceed our guests expectations and we are delighted to know our entire team has done that for you on your birthday vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back on many more happy occasions!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I booked a decent rate through the Edison's website. I've stayed in several different hotels in the Times Square area, and I prefer the Edison when I can get a good price. The woman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful, and she upgraded my room from what I had paid for. It was the biggest and nicest room I've been in at the Edison, as well as in the Times Square area. You could see Times Square from my window - you are right in the middle of the action. The Cafe Edison is just off the lobby and has great breakfasts. The lobby is spectacular, and a great place to sit and talk with friends. The only negative was that I had to pay for wireless internet access.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Jeff C

Dear Jeff C,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a reveiw of your stay here. We are very grateful for the chance to get feedback from our guests and even more pleased when they have had a great time. We appreciate your kind words about our staff, and Edison Cafe. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed for three nights on a business trip, rooms in need of refurbishment as is the entire hotel. Faded grandeur, not enough investment over the years. Having said that you would probably pay a lot more if it was up to a 4 star standard. Great position just off of Time Square. If you are looking for a base to explore New York and only sleep here, not a bad hotel. Reasonably priced for the location and clean. Basic 2/3 star standard.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Hotel E, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear MillierBristol,

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay with us went. Needless to say all comments are welcome and we take everything constructively. We realize that interior decor is a highly personal thing and sincerely regret that ours did not meet with your approval. We have actually introduced our fully renovated 'Signature Rooms' and our 'Signature Suites'. Our location is at the heart of it all at Times Square, near shopping, theatre, and dinning.

We do hope that you will return to one of our renovated rooms so that you may notice the difference firsthand.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

The location is absolutely great: Times Square, theaters, Starbucks, subway - walking distance to pretty much everything. The hotel is located around the corner so that the noise doesn't bother. The rooms were quite spacious but outdated - especially the bathroom. Breakfast at the hotel was pretty expensive for the quality. Wouldn't go to the next-door Italian restaurant "Scarletto" either again (dinner). Try instead "Carve", down the W 47th - definitely not the cosiest "restaurant", but very handy for breakfast: nice smoothies, soups, bagels, pizza, fast service and low prices.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have just booked my second stay at the hotel. The publics spaces are beautiful, the staff very knowledgeable and helpful and you cannot beat the location. I also love that I can check my luggage in early and explore the city as well as leave my luggage until I need to leave for the airport and I know that it is safe, rather than lug it around the city with me. The regular rooms are a little small, but I don't need much space in a room that I am only going to be sleeping and getting ready in.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Traci M

Dear Traci M,

Thank you for your review, and for choosing the Hotel Edison agian. We appreicate your loyalty and are delighted that you had another great stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed the convenience of storing your luggage to be able to explore and enjoy our wonderful city.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to New York.