“travellers hotel good for holidays”

Hotel Edison Times Square
Ranked #311 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was over there in 2011( could not select that on the travel date sorry but wanted to give me opinion anyhow) but have kept in touch with the hotel since then, It was starting its renovations and at the same time there was a brown out in NYC due to the hot weather. The staff were helpful and assisted when the AC unit blew and the hot water went out. Taking these circumstances into consideration the staff worked well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a good reasonably priced hotel so close to broadway its amazing.

Room Tip: talk to the staff at reception. they are helpful
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank harleybearhsc
TheEdison, Director of Sales at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

It is very nice to hear from you so long after your stay in 2011. Thank you for keeping in contact with us.

I recall that city wide black-out back then, it certainly was a challenge for guests and staff alike. Thank you for your kind words about our staff handled it and I will pass on to them. Many are still here!

Kind regards,

MR

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel at least once a year (mostly with groups of adults and teens) for the past 40 years. I LOVE the location and the convenience to major attractions and transportation. The hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. It is a "tourist class' hotel, so do not expect coffee makers, fridge, etc. It is clean and a great place to lay your head after a busy day in the city.
The Edison Cafe (located just off the lobby) has great food and isn't very expensive. The lobby is a spectacular Art Deco room with enough space to gather a group of 20-30 people before leaving on a day of sight seeing or an evening of theatre.
Broadway theatres are within a few blocks in several directions. If you don't want to or can't walk the 3-6 blocks, there are always taxi's available just outside the 47th Street door.
I will be staying again this month and look forward to my visit!

Room Tip: There is no pool...Sorry! The best rooms are above the 6th floor. The higher you are, the quieter i...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeannie G
TheEdison, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us for so many years, we’ll make sure that you keep coming back!

I agree with you, the lobby has a wonderful Art Deco design and can host a large group of people, I believe that our guests who had the opportunity to attend the Wine Hour would agree on that!

We look forward to your upcoming visit!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We have been staying at the Edison on annual trips since 1998. I have stayed in other NYC hotels when there for business, but for pleasure trips, this is our preferred stop. The rooms have certainly improved over the years with various stages of renovation and upgrades. We have seen the Signature rooms but have not stayed in them - they are really lovely. However, for our latest trip (May 2014), we had a deluxe king room - very clean, very comfortable - the room had a couch, closet space, a Keurig - all very nice.

The location to Times Square and the theatres cannot be beat! The coffee shop provides a convenient spot for breakfast or lunch - the service is very "New York", but the food is decent and reasonably priced. There are even some nice surprises - outstanding blintzes, potato salad delicately seasoned with herbs, etc. The gift shop is open long hours, so is also great for a late night snack or a forgotten souvenir gift on your way back home.

I certainly recommend this hotel and will continue to stay here!

Room Tip: If you want to spend the money, the Signature rooms are very nice. Otherwise, the rooms are typical...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

It is always a great pleasure to read a review from our long term guest!
Our spacious rooms and unbeatable location have always been our strengths, thank you for pointing that out.

We look forward to seeing you soon again!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Right in the heart of Times Square. Out one door was a theatre where Daniel Craig was playing and out the other door, Orlando Bloom was playing. The location was amazing and certainly value for money.
We had an issue when we arrived in that we were given the wrong room, but the manager was on duty and upgraded us without argument. The service was absolutely brilliant.
It is certainly a busy hotel but the ambience down in the foyer is excellent. Love the old art deco fittings.
Hit the Rum House for drinks and felt like I was walking into an old gangster movie. My only criticism is that I felt the rooms were a little dated and in need of a touch up but that is being picky I guess. Highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Try and go for the more newly renovated rooms - I think they might be the signature series. The othe...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PZ604

I am so happy to hear that you’ve loved our location, service and the Art Deco style. We are so proud to be a surviving example of an Art Deco era!
As previously mentioned, we are updating all of our guestrooms, so we’re soon to be completely refurbished.

All the best,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The room was comfortable, needed to have the renovation completed (just little things), had a great view of the sunset, and could see actors coming from the 'Barrymore' across the street (street noise), and not to forget that it was 1/2 block from Times Square. Breakfast on site good.
People were somewhat helpful, but the subway system is the worst I've ever traveled. Would somebody PLEASE finish a job in the city, construction everywhere and subways not running on the weekend--really. Cab driver from LGA to hotel ran into the tunnel, cabby going back got a tip.
I'd recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to be in the 'heart' of things. I'm sure my granddaughter loved the trip.

Room Tip: ask for a lower level that I was told had renovated rooms, I was on the 8th of 22.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Diamonds08

How wonderful it is to celebrate a birthday in the heart of the city, staying at the Edison! Being in the proximity of all the Broadway theatres, you can often run into many actors from the shows, how great is that!

Hope to be hosting you for many, many birthdays that are yet to come!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

After a terrible experience at the Paramount hotel, the Edison was a welcome refuge! My room was lovely, the staff was amazing, the location is prime, and the jazz bar was charming! I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014
TheEdison, Director of Sales at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

So glad you found us, I am sorry it was under those circumstances.

We will see you next time!

MR

Reviewed 1 June 2014

At times when I go to a Broadway show I stop in for a bite at the Edison Hotel Coffee Shop.If you have simple food it's good and the service is decent. Fairly reasonably priced. I have seen some famous personalties who are currently performing at nearby theaters there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends