“Great location but stay on the top refurbished floors!!”

Hotel Edison Times Square
Ranked #307 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
South Bend, Indiana
“Great location but stay on the top refurbished floors!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We booked 2 rooms at the Hotel Edison. You MUST stay in one of the refurbished rooms (called Signature rooms) on the top floors. See their website. It calls it the hotel on top of a hotel. I was confused by the reviews that people either loved or hated this hotel until I figured this out. When we first arrived and entered the elevator someone getting off on a lower floor asked if we had seen our room yet. When I said "no" she said, just wait, they are terrible. I was so relieved to see our updated rooms which were very small but clean and updated. It was a no frills stay but the location and price more than made up for it. And the upper floors were quiet for Times Square standards.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a Signature room on the top floors. The lower levels have gotten terrible reviews.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jan R
TheEdison, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Jan R

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your stay here. We are delighted you enjoyed your signature room. We are continuing to renovated many of our rooms and update our facilities. We always strive to make all our guests stay enjoyable and comfortable. We have staff available 24 hours that are ready to assist all our guests should they not be completely satisfied with their accommodations. Once again thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back in the not so far distant future.

A. Santiago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,677)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in New York for the first time in May and had a fantastic time! The Edison Hotel in Times Square is in the perfect location! The rooms are going through a refurbishment so try and request a 'new' room.
The hotel concierge was extremely helpful in pointing us in the right direction for great food.
My only disappointment was that the hotel didn't offer free wifi.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank amyT-P
Dear amy T-P

Thank you very much for this great review. It means so much to have our guests satisfied and content and even take the time to write about it. We do offer free WI-FI in our Signature Collection, this might be an option on your next visit. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and found everything from our location to staff to be helpful and satisfying. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Edison.

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My girlfriend and I travelled to NYC from Ireland in August 2013 - for both of us it was our first time in both NYC and the US. While looking for hotels, we wanted something around Times Square. Being bang in the middle of Manhattan, we figured this would allow us to explore all parts of the city.
We wanted the right mix of value for money, quality and proximity to Times Sq. On a tourist holiday, all we wanted was somewhere comfortable to sleep, a good shower and a place to return to after a long day/night in the city. Edison Hotel certainly ticked all the boxes. It was the perfect mix of all our criteria.
It is affordable in a city of seriously overpriced accomodation. Our room was clean, comfortable, great facilities, good shower, quiet at night, helpful staff, and we loved the decor. Some reviews here said it was dated, old and had small rooms - We found it to be very stylish in an Art Deco theme, like stepping into old NYC. Rooms were standard size for NYC - what do people expect? You're in NYC for God's sake! One of the biggest cities in the world! How much time are you going to spend hanging out in your room? We barely saw our room because we were so busy enjoying all NYC has to offer.
If you want luxury and can afford it, book the Waldorf.
If you want large rooms, go to a manor house in the country!
If you want a great base in NYC go to the Edison!

Cafe Edison next door is the perfect place for breakfast to start your day. The Rum House serves chilled drinks in the evening and the cheese and wine reception on Fridays is a must.
If you want an affordable, clean, quiet, central place to stay in NYC book it now!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin H
Dear Kevin H

Thank you for your superb review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. We are delighted that you had a good experience. After all that is what we are here for. We will share your comments with all our staff as they will be thrilled to hear of your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to your new home away from home.

College Park, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Edison Hotel has a great location, right next to Times Square. I had a Signature Queen room, which was small but relatively tidy. Although I requested a quiet room, I was given a room right outside the elevators, which made me nervous. However, the interior and exterior noise was manageable.

The showers had plenty of warm water and the water pressure was good.

The bed was firm but fine. The air conditioning worked well.

Security was nice as well. They check room keys before letting people onto the elevators. And the door men were great, helping me get taxis in just a few minutes.

The biggest drawback was that I had requested early check-in when I made the reservation, because I had a meeting at check-in time (3 pm) and really needed to get my luggage in my room and get myself dressed and prepared for the meeting. I called back the day before, and repeated my request. When I arrived in the city, I called and was told my room would be ready in about half an hour, at 1:30 pm. I arrived shortly after, and was told my room wasn't ready yet. It wasn't ready at two, and it wasn't ready at 2:30, either.

I find it hard to believe that, with plenty of prior notice, they couldn't get a room ready a half-hour before check-in time, especially when I saw people cleaning the rooms at 8 am the next morning. The rooms are tiny, and they weren't THAT clean (acceptable, but there were human hairs on the ceiling in the shower, little stuff like that). How long could a room that's barely larger than the queen-sized bed that they held really take to clean? I was very disappointed that they couldn't accommodate me, even a half-hour early. That colored my impression of the hotel.

For the price I got, I'd return, but I hope I wouldn't have to do it when I'm in a time crunch.

Room Tip: The Signature Queen room was quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
TheEdison, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Sandra G

We regret that you were disappointed with your recent stay. Our check in time is 3pm, and we try our best to accommodate guest that arrive before that time for early check in. We will share your experience with both our Directors of Front Office and Housekeeping. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, as it is through feedback such as yours that encourages us to continue to improve on our service. We will defiantly use this as a training tool. We hope you will return in the future and allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed for 7 nights at the Edison and this is a great hotel right by Times Square. The hotel is in a great location for exploring New York as there are subway links close by. Broadway is by the hotel and many of the major sights are within walking distance.

The hotel rooms were fine, but the first room we had was in need of a refurbishment as the carpet needed a good clean and the wallpaper needed a change but to be fair, when we explained this, the very helpful reception staff moved us to another room which made for a very good stay. The room was quite comfortable with a large TV, twin beds, fair size bathroom and was in a quiet part of the hotel.

The Café Edison is next to the hotel and there is an entrance from the reception into the diner without having to leave the hotel. This was very handy and quite a few people used the diner. We only had breakfast’s there but they were good breakfasts and good value.

The hotel is in a great location and within easy walk of major sights, supermarkets, transport links etc. The hotel is very good value when considering the location. A great art deco lobby and all the staff there were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay at the Edison again if going to New York.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rayeds
Dear rayeds

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay went. We are glad to hear that our Staff was able to accommodate a better room for you and made your stay comfortable and enjoyable. We are modernizing and upgrading the hotel and have introduced our Signature Collection, visit our website to view the photos. It always gives us great pleasure when our guests are satisfied. We look forward to your next visit with great anticipation.

Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

the bad hotel that i ever see!! old hotel!!
front desk people so bad speak to the guest very bad
old hotel
carpet old
front desk very bad
all the hotel is very old
front desk is speak to the guest so agly

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hagit s
Dear hagit S

We are truly sorry to hear that you deem our staff to be unfriendly and we sincerely apologize if you were not made to feel welcome during your stay with us. This is never our intent and we realize that, whenever challenges may present themselves, genuine warmth and quality service must never be compromised. We hope to welcome you back in the near future, to restore your confidence in us.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My son and I traveled up for a repeat stay at the Edison and made the appropriate requests to secure a quieter room for our trip per suggestions from other travelers on Trip Advisor. We arrived earlier than check in and a friendly desk clerk checked the reservation and saw our request and let us know the room was still being cleaned but our request would be honored. Checked the luggage and headed out for some shopping. Came back and checked with another male desk clerk "T" who noted that the room was still not clean but would ask housekeeping to expedite getting it ready and to check back. My son was in need of a nap so we lobby sat for an hour and again found out room not ready. So off we went again to see a movie and didn't get back until 7 PM. Imagine our surprise that we not only did not get the location we requested, but we were placed on the 4th floor immediately outside of the large elevator bank on the busy street side. I called down and found out that our male clerk "T" had changed our request to indicate this particular room that was completely contradicted by the earlier notes. And of course at that evening hour there were no rooms available for us to move. Multi-wake ups from sirens, car alarms, traffic, and partying in the street and elevator later, we survived our first night. The evening desk staff tried to be helpful in setting up a re-location for the next evening, but that certainly didn't help us the first night especially after waiting all day for our "special" room to be cleaned...not! The manager on duty expressed his sympathy for the room mix up but the goof and "T"'s deliberate changing of our request to what was certainly a most undesirable location colored what was supposed to be a lovely trip. A trip to pick up ear plugs the next day helped us survive the next night. While I enjoy this hotel and the location, I won't be traveling there again without bringing along some sleep aids. At the least I thought the hotel should have offered us a reduction since "T' mucked up the reservation....but of course that didn't happen either.

Room Tip: higher floor away from elevators
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jan A
TheEdison, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Jan A

We are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. We are glad to have an opportunity to address some of the issues you raised. Your feedback will be shared with our Director of Front Office and we assure you all matters raised will be dealt with to ensure that this kind of service is never repeated. We are truly sorry you have left with a negative impression of the hotel and do hope that you will give us a second chance.