“If your looking for a great location then this is the place”

Hotel Edison Times Square
Ranked #308 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“If your looking for a great location then this is the place”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

When we first arrived at the hotel we were told we couldn't check into the room until 3 o'clock which is pretty normal at most hotels thus meaning we had to leave our luggage in the hotel to prevent trekking it around the streets of New York but the baggage men were very rude and wouldn't allow us to pay them later on considering we had just arrived and had no change. We stepped outside the hotel and realised how close we were to Times Square with actually amazed me and my mother because it was an ideal location for a tourist.

Considering we were travelling for my mums birthday which was informed to the hotel before we visited we were given a free token for breakfast and a nice little card was left in our room which I suppose was a nice touch. The breakfast was average. The beds were a nice size and rather comfortable. The safe in the room did not work meaning we had to carry dollars all the time and hide passports and also we had no fridge and the shower was very decisive as to whether it was boiling or freezing.

The tv was very good in the room offering new movies for free and also the gym facilities were decent which pleased me.

We only stayed for 4 nights which meant it was a short journey with a lot of travelling and the shuttle bus the hotel offered to JFK made the long travelling a whole lot worse making us wait around for ages and it would've probably been quicker and just a tad more expensive to get a taxi straight there so I would not advise.

Overall good location, cheap hotel what can you expect really.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,747)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights in August 14. Our first ever trip to New York so we were very excited. I do not expect 5 star facilities when paying 3 star.....but I do not expect to be taken for a ride. It seems that "Marco on the front desk" tried that on us. We had pre paid through Expedia months beforehand. On receiving our room keys for our "Signature Queen Series Room" we opened the door and nearly hit the bed with the door...it was the smallest room that I have ever seen much smaller than the square metres it said on the website......that wasn't the real problem,,,,it was the smell. We immediately returned to "Marco". The look on his face told the story..."I didn't get away with giving these first timers a really really bad room" I asked if we could have a bigger 2 bed room and was told that since we booked with an outside agency then I would have to deal with them. I asked if he could check his computer and he said no...they were booked out. I said that I had just checked tripadvisor and they had plenty of rooms that I was after. He then proceeded to tell me that I have no idea how the Hotel business worked and glare at me.................What is going on here....the room stunk and was the size of a shoebox and we paid for the upgraded rooms and here we are getting the worst ever service. He would not allow us to pay for another larger room when they were available....why.
Eventually he won the stare down contest (this shoulnt be happening) and we were given another room. It was just ok only slighty bigger but no smell....8 nights in this box...great. Well 3 o clock in the morning my partner thought I was having a shower...no I was in bed. Water was gushing through the bathroom roof in our bathroom for about 3 minutes. We called and reported it to the night manager. Three hours later the same thing happened. Called the night manager who was lovely and he sent up a maintenance man....his first response...OMG. They did the right thing and closed the room. They moved us to another room, which was indicative with what we expected in the first place ...which we were very happy with.(n.b.....all three rooms had the same size small bathroom) It seems that they have different sizes for rooms that are stated as Signature Queen rooms.....so it is pot luck..... I really don't know how to rate this hotel...is it only through luck that we got had to go through 2 dodgy rooms to get a good one. Other than the horrible customer service we received from Marco everyone else at the hotel were lovely..

Room Tip: Free wifi only with signature rooms....and you had to re log in every 24 hours
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Researched hotels before our visit to NYC and saw mixed reviews of this hotel however must say location is supberb and rooms where clean. It was good value for us especially we spent little time in room.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to newer room more modern than our kids room which didnt get upgrade but if u have...
  • Stayed September 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dinoToronto_Canada
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

This was an awesome find! It's an old renovated hotel that is so accommodating. They found me a fridge,kept my room tidy and offered great suggestions to places every where I'd go! Oh and the gym was clean and new. Found this amazing hotel by contacting them directly online. There was a sale going on and saved 30% plus they upgraded me. Can't wait to come back to NYC.

Stayed September 2014, travelled solo
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 2 September 2014

The hotel room was small and the staff were polite but not too friendly and welcoming in my opinion. But the lobby was nice and the location is Perfect. I expected more for the price I paid but as the location was good I recommend this place. But if you love to stay in hotel and rest in your room it was not ideal.

Room Tip: my room was in 7th floor and it was dark with no view of city.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I traveled to new York, for the first time, and stayed at the Edison Hotel in Times Square with my best friend. We thought the hotel was quite nice although it was slightly dated. Our room had a dresser that was coming apart and we could not purchase a movie through the television due to a flaw in the system. There was a domestic dispute in the room next to us and we had to call security to come up and see if the woman in the dispute was alright. We were slightly afraid but settled down a short time later. Overall, the location was great and we had no trouble finding our daily excursions and getting back to the hotel afterwards. The staff was helpful and the room was cleaned each day. The hotel was very close to theaters and restaurants were within walking distance so we never had to rent a cab to go anywhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Our family enjoyed our recent stay (we had 2 rooms) at the Edison. The hotel is just steps from Broadway and all the action. The beautiful art deco lobby is a great place to meet up with friends. On Friday afternoon they offered a nice reception in the lobby with free wine, cheese/crackers and live music. We also enjoyed our breakfasts in the lobby coffee shop. The breakfast was fast, delicious and surprisingly reasonably priced! Our rooms were good sized and clean. The air conditioning was wonderful and kept the rooms nice and cool. All of the employees that we spoke with in the lobby were professional and very courteous. (The only small complaint we had was that the maid never left us more than 2 full size clean towels. When we pointed this out to her she said "Yeah. None of my rooms have enough towels." But this was quickly remedied when we stopped by the front desk and asked for towels. They had been delivered to our rooms by the time we got back from the theatre.)

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends. Great staff and great location.

Room Tip: Elevators are small but move quickly. I'd request a lower floor for easier access.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family