“everybody that works in the grand hyatt are truly wonderful people. stunning hotel. a must see”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #328 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 June 2011

these people will go out of there way to make sure you have everything you need. everyone i spoke to was so freindly. i actually loved the housekeeping ladies they were fab. i cant wait to go back to this stunning hotel and room service was to die for.

Room Tip: they are all fab rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank templesarah
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Dear Templesarah,

Thank you for your very kind words regarding your stay at Grand Hyatt New York. I could not be more pleased that you had the most wonderful experience with us. Our staff strives to exceed each guest’s expectations and I am delighted you experienced this. I hope we have the pleasure of serving you again!

Reviewed 15 June 2011

Stayed here for four nights. I can only rave about the location and it's renovated room. Right next to Grand Central station provides easy transportation to the airports. Granted that rooms were newly renovated but I can't say that the bathroom was clean. Rooms were small and had no view.
Given that this is an International chain hotel, I would have expected that their in room amenities are up to scratch. Upon arriving, there was no hairdryer, no coffee making facility & no shower cap. Attention to detail wouldn't go astray.
If you have to pay $5999/night, I think you are better off staying in another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband an I fell head over heals in love with NYC. We were here for a week and we are ready to spend the rest of our lives there! Staying at the Grand Hyatt made the stay just that extra special. We were treated like royalty by the staff, it was so great to walk in from the hussle and bussle of the busy streets into our wonderful hotel. The check-in was super friendly, it was our anniversary while we were in NYC, which was not written anywhere, but the lovely check-in lady asked if we were here for a special occasion. Low and behold when we got back to our room from our first day out, there was a cake and champaigne and a handwritten card from the staff. Very special! The rooms are clean and nice. The hotel is a bit older (but this just means that they are quality built and you don't hear your neighbours or the street below). The decorations and everything was new however! Nice lobby and breakfast was delicious too.
Loved staying here!!!
- would have been nice to have free wifi

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jazzy81

Dear Jazzy81,

Thank you for writing us about how much you enjoyed your stay at Grand Hyatt New York! It is an honor you chose us to celebrate your special occasion and I am glad our staff made your accommodations even more memorable. I hope you will choose us again in your future travels to New York City.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

This was probably my 4th or 5th stay at the Grand Hyatt New York, and as always, it was a pleasant stay. What started out as a potential problem turned into a nice benefit: Upon arrival at about 9:30 pm, I was told that there had been some staffing problems and unanticipated demand, and that my room was not yet ready for occupancy. Before I could object, the check-in clerk asked if I had eaten dinner yet, and when she learned I hadn't, she offered to provide me dinner at the hotel's expense in the hotel restaurant, and handed me a $100 hotel voucher to be used in the restaurant--or anywhere else in the hotel. I had a nice dinner and including food and wine the tab actually came to a little over $100, plus the tip, and the hotel picked up the whole tab, including the tip. After dinner, my room was ready. As always, it was a nice room--very clean, nice modern styling, comfortable bedding, and quite spacious by Manhattan standards.

To say the hotel is "centrally located" is an understatement--it's located right on top of Grand Central Station, and you can enter the station without even going outside if you want. Every sort of store, restaurant, and service you could want can be found within a block or two. Despite the location, the rooms are very quiet, even those that are on the lower floors. The sound insulation must be top-quality.

Prices at the hotel are generally on the high side, but there are plenty of available discounts and deals on the hotel website, so depending on the day of the week and time of year you're staying, you can actually get a very nice price. Every stay I've had at this hotel has been pleasant, and this one was no exception.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank cyberluddite
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I was at the Hyatt for a week of business meetings and I was terribly disappointed.

For a Grand Hyatt, the service was below standard - reception did not greet me upon arrival, two agents were talking to each other and it took a third (who was with a guest) to signal to them that they should check me in. I asked for a newspaper to be delivered but was told that I could not receive the New York Times. This was rectified when I went to the front desk to complain. I made a complaint about my phone being full of static but no one ever fixed it, even after two calls to housekeeping. I gave up. Laundry bags were not replaced after use and when I called to have another one delivered it never showed-up.

After all of this, the hotel charges for delivery of packages to your room - a "mail room charge". I've stayed at many hotels and never been charged for receiving a package. It wasn't an elephant that I had delivered, but several small boxes.

In terms of food, the lobby market cafe is a nice touch. Food was reasonably priced. However, don't get the room service. I asked for oatmeal in the morning and got a relatively cold, plain bowl. The description in the menu said that it comes with "fruits" but all that I got were some raisins, butter and sugar!

On the more positive side, I had a renovated room which was nice, and the bed was comfortable. Also, when I checked-out, I told my story to the agent who was very apologetic and took notes of everything and reversed the mail delivery fee. I wish I had seen more of that while at the hotel.

There are many better hotels in New York. The sister Andaz properties of the Hyatt are infinitely better - especially the Wall Street branch.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Will58
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The hotel very well located,very nice hotel, staff very helpful and friendly. We were there in our honeymoon and get us champagne and strawberries..mmmm.. for sure a really nice hotel to stay. We would like to go back next year to celebrate our first year married and if we do we will book this hotel again!Thanks very much !!! I love NY and people are really friendly!just love it.

Room Tip: nice,perfect location hotel
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Sweetie1978,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at Grand Hyatt New York. It is truly an honor that you chose to celebrate you honeymoon with us! We are delighted you enjoyed the strawberries and champagne and also that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating. We hope you return next year to celebrate your anniversary, we would love to serve you again!

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Nice size room with king bed, not too small like other new york hotels. Lobby guys were nice, got us tickets to see "Young Frankenstein" as a last minute request. Very convenient lobby for check in and check out. The view from our window wasn't the greatest since it looked out to other rooms and not to the street, but we weren't there to stare out the window so that didn't bother us.

My only complaint about this hotel was that the bathroom smelled like dirty water. Other than that, the room was very clean and the lobby was lovely.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends