We visit NYC often, and usually stay closer to Times Square, and Central Park. This time, we got a great online deal through Orbitz for what we originally planned as a one night stay. We changed our minds and stayed the entire weekend.
Check in was a breeze and we were given a Grand King room on the 26th floor, away from the elevators, and at the end of the hallway. Our room was a nice size (we've paid more for much less space ... it is New York after all), with a sitting area featuring a sofa, table and chair perfect for a spreading out some work papers and a laptop. We had a roomy closet, and a very comfortable bed, the kind you love sinking into after a day out in the city. Nice touch having room lighting and temperature controls built into the headboard, along with individual reading lights. Two windows looked out onto other buildings, but that wasn't a problem. (We only looked out to check sky for weather anyway.)
The bathroom was clean, and yes as others will say, a bit on the smallish side. The sink is a little hard to get to, with the shelf directly above it. Shower was good size, with adjustable/sliding showerhead. Shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, hairdryer and toothpaste were provided. Would we have liked a coffee maker in our room? Yes, but coffee was available (as well as many other food items) in the downstairs 24/7 "market". We really appreciated the market, when we got caught in rain walking back from a show and grabbed some steaming hot chocolate and some sweets before heading to our room.
Our original plan was to stay for only one night, see a show and go. We asked the front desk what it would cost to stay an additional night and it was only $20 more than our rate, and we could stay in the same room. Still a bargain! The Hyatt was running a limited time sale on rooms, and we were able to take advantage of that. (Not bad at all, considering the Orbitz rate was no longer available ... in fact, it jumped back up another $100.) The staff were very friendly and helpful. We went online ourselves and purchased tickets for another show, after consulting with the concierge for suggestions. Hotel brokers can be a bit pricey, so we didn't go that route.
The location of the Grand Hyatt is great, right next to Grand Central Station. The Oyster Bar is in the station, just a few turns down a hallway and that alone can be the one single reason to stay here ... proximity to this wonderful place. We walked to the two different theaters with no problem, and in less time than we expected. This was a theater weekend, so sightseeing or shopping weren't our focus but given that, if we wanted to see sights, the Hyatt's location is very convenient.
We'll definitely stay here again! I gave 4 stars, as we didn't use or visit any of the other hotel amenities ... fitness center, pool, or even visit the bar or restaurant. Next time :)!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Premier location in the heart of New York's famous midtown. Striking lobby with waterfalls, seating areas and three restaurants and lounges. Direct access to Grand Central Terminal and connected to the Chrysler Building. Steps from Times Square, Shopping and the Theatre District. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Southall Travel, Ctrip TA, TravelUp, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Hyatt New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hyatt New York City
- Hyatt New York City
- Hotel Hyatt New York
- Grand Hotel Hyatt New York
- New York City Grand Hyatt Hotel
- Hyatt Hotel New York City
- Grand Hyatt Hotel New York
- New York Hyatt
- New York City Hyatt