“ok but not meet my expectations for a Grand Hyatt”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #332 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for one night when I was in NYC for a meeting. I was so looking forward to my stay, I had not stayed at this location yet. The lobby is very nice, it is modern looking and attractive though it seemed a little busy. Registration was prompt. However, as a high ranking member of their Gold Passport Program, I was used to asking and receiving upgrades when a better room was available. In this case, I was told that an upgrade was available but for a surcharge. I stood my ground and was then offered the upgrade. Is that policy--to try and get the surcharge? Nevertheless, the upgrade option was rather disappointing, it was 2 rooms but had no desk or work area nor did have a "comfy chair". Instead it had what looked like a kitchenette table with a cushioned bench seat and extra TV.

So i switched back to my original room. Again it has a modern decor. Room size was pretty good for NYC and bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was also modern. It was a little small compared to the room itself but still functional and fine.

My gripes:
1) Why boast to have flat screen HD TV's when all of the TV channels are in regular analog? The picture is actually worse when you try to use an HD TV without HD channels
2) The set up could have used a little more practical design. The desk area has a single outlet and one of the receptacles was taken up by the lamp. The night table also had one outlet and one of the receptacles was taken up by the Ihome clock radio plug which unfortunately obscured the other receptacle. This was not very conducive to the current times where everyone has electronics and is need of places for charging.
3) Personally, I believe the decor is too modern. While I like contemporary design, the furniture is no longer comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Dear srk3465,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review as we use it as a way to continually improve our service and product. To address your point about the TV quality, we are aware of the reception and are in the process of upgrading the TV systems in the coming months. Again, we appreciate your detailed feedback and if you would like to address anything further, you can email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon future travels to New York City.

All the best,
Lauren Schubert
Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Last year I stayed at this hotel and I didn't feel comfortable at all (I have a review about it). But this year when my company booked again a room at the Hyatt, I could see how much this hotel had been improved with the refurbishment. My room wasn't too big, but was so comfy! It was nicely painted with warm colors. The bathroom size has not changed, is as tiny as it was before the refurbishment, but it has been totally renewed. The shower with sliding glass door is a hit, because old shower curtains in hotels usually get really dirty. What I missed in my bathroom were the amenities, I just had soap and toothpaste.
If you can have breakfast at the hotel, just do it! You won't regret! The service is very good, very polite and attentive waiters.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2012

As others have noted the lobby is spectacular. There are lots of elevators, so it's never a long wait to get to your floor.

I reserved a newly upgraded room, and the first one I was sent to was barely vacuumed or cleaned, including the closet which had layers of dust in it. It was also relatively close to the ice machine which was pretty loud. I requested another room, which was better, however there was still hair from other guests on the bathroom floor and the carpet was pretty dusty. Disappointing for a hotel of this caliber.

Suprising also for this level of hotel that there was no bottled water in the room, coffee, tea, kettle, or even a shower cap.

As other reviewers mentioned, the little market downstairs while friendly is super-over priced, and you'd be better off going to GCS or other small cafes for light meals.

The location can't be beat though.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room away from the ice machines.
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Me and the wife checked in on the 1st of the month to celebrate her birthday! As we entered, we where greeted with the new lobby decor! All black marble and new white statues, lobby looks amazing after the revamp. Fast and speedy check in and was told we where on 20th floor nxt to lifts.

Rooms was lovely and we had table with a seating bit at the window and big fancy lamp... Plenty of storage space for
clothes And with and iron and board in cupboard.

The new bed is amazing, so comfortable and huge, me and the wife never rolled near each other all holiday!! Which please her! Room still has safety box in it which is great.

My only complaint is the wifi charge! $12.95 for 24 hours is a bit shocking! Bad it was easier to pop round the corner and get 3 dollar coffee and use there's for free!!

All in all this hotel is fantastic and if ever back in the city I would stay here again when back in the city

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank chris_scott94
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We visit NYC often, and usually stay closer to Times Square, and Central Park. This time, we got a great online deal through Orbitz for what we originally planned as a one night stay. We changed our minds and stayed the entire weekend.

Check in was a breeze and we were given a Grand King room on the 26th floor, away from the elevators, and at the end of the hallway. Our room was a nice size (we've paid more for much less space ... it is New York after all), with a sitting area featuring a sofa, table and chair perfect for a spreading out some work papers and a laptop. We had a roomy closet, and a very comfortable bed, the kind you love sinking into after a day out in the city. Nice touch having room lighting and temperature controls built into the headboard, along with individual reading lights. Two windows looked out onto other buildings, but that wasn't a problem. (We only looked out to check sky for weather anyway.)

The bathroom was clean, and yes as others will say, a bit on the smallish side. The sink is a little hard to get to, with the shelf directly above it. Shower was good size, with adjustable/sliding showerhead. Shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, hairdryer and toothpaste were provided. Would we have liked a coffee maker in our room? Yes, but coffee was available (as well as many other food items) in the downstairs 24/7 "market". We really appreciated the market, when we got caught in rain walking back from a show and grabbed some steaming hot chocolate and some sweets before heading to our room.

Our original plan was to stay for only one night, see a show and go. We asked the front desk what it would cost to stay an additional night and it was only $20 more than our rate, and we could stay in the same room. Still a bargain! The Hyatt was running a limited time sale on rooms, and we were able to take advantage of that. (Not bad at all, considering the Orbitz rate was no longer available ... in fact, it jumped back up another $100.) The staff were very friendly and helpful. We went online ourselves and purchased tickets for another show, after consulting with the concierge for suggestions. Hotel brokers can be a bit pricey, so we didn't go that route.

The location of the Grand Hyatt is great, right next to Grand Central Station. The Oyster Bar is in the station, just a few turns down a hallway and that alone can be the one single reason to stay here ... proximity to this wonderful place. We walked to the two different theaters with no problem, and in less time than we expected. This was a theater weekend, so sightseeing or shopping weren't our focus but given that, if we wanted to see sights, the Hyatt's location is very convenient.

We'll definitely stay here again! I gave 4 stars, as we didn't use or visit any of the other hotel amenities ... fitness center, pool, or even visit the bar or restaurant. Next time :)!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JzmnS
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I visited with my husband for a long weekend. Being at Grand Central Station made the trip wonderful.
The reception area was confusing to just about everyone with no order or clear place to line up.
The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The lighting and the control pad for the lighting was wonderful. The worst inconvenience was the shower. It took almost as long for the water to heat up as it took me to take the actual shower. Since the dial for temperature control was not obvious, expect a 5 minute delay to the start of your first shower.

The elevators were reasonable and the public space in the lobby is beautiful but not comfortable or ample for the people using the space. The fitness center was awesome, clean with everything you need. There was an attendant on duty during peak hours.

This hotel should be ashamed of the price gouging in their take away market in the lobby. $7.50 for a bagel that you have to toast yourself is offensive, There is no free wifi in the lobby and the daily charge for wifi is $12.95 or $16.95. In this day and age these type of charges are not cool.
In Grand Central Station there is both a market and a food court. Get your meals in the restaurant area as the selection is great and the prices are fair. Go out the Hyatt door to GCS. When you get thru the second set of doors take a left then take the first right and take the escalator down to the restaurants.

2  Thank chicag0gal22
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Room cleaning hasn t been very well performed so there was hair in the bath and dust on the furniture. bathroom was very small with a crappy bath -
lack of complementary items such as shower gel, sleepers, pads, cotton buds, shower cap...
no kettle or bottle of water
hairdryer cable too short so you need to squirm yourself in order to dry your hair
no free internet access in the room
no international TV channel
ice machine in the corridor very noisy so it can be heard from inside the room
breakfast very expensive considering what is offered and the quality: Scrambled eggs = $22, 3 french toasts (almost burnt) = $17 served with a little pot of fake butter and the equivalent of one large spoon of jam (no choice of jam) which was not enough for the 3 toasts.
last day, leaving luggage at the concierge for the day I was charged $4 for 1 piece of luggage (when picking it back to go to the airport, I saw a board indicating the price per item was $2... but since you have to pay by cash, you cannot raise the point...)

don t expect any customer service. it is like the railway station which is just next to it. People are coming in and out so the staff doesn t really care nor has a customer centric approach.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear MSLondonuk,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Grand Hyatt New York. On behalf of the hotel, we apologize for the inconveniences and lack of service that you received during your stay here. Your experience was certainly not up to Hyatt’s standards. We strive to make every guest’s experience at the Grand Hyatt New York a positive one, and hope that you will give us another chance to show you a true Hyatt experience. Please email us at qualitynycgh@hyatt.com so we can assure you Grand Hyatt New York is the right choice for your next trip to NYC.

All the best,