“not a five stars at all”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #314 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milano
“not a five stars at all”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I've been 4 nights at the GH NYC and my expectations were very high since I use to stay at GRAND HYATT all over the world. even if I had my room on the totally refurbished floor i.e. 18th floor, I complain the total absence of atmosfhere and service form the lobby up to the guests floor. Nothing in the mini-bar, nor a bottle of water for free or to charge. The lobby is like the near Grand Central Terminal. Wi-fi for a fee. And I paid almost 400 bucks!!!!! No way, the NY hotel categories (stars) are totally invented and I'll try to stay in Hoboken (NJ) for a cheaper but worthwile rate.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank rossonero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights in May 2012. Since it was my 15th trip to New York City I see myself as an experienced NYC traveller :) So therefore I've stayed at many different hotels, both good and bad. This hotel was one of the best hotels in NYC I've ever stayed at! The locations is SO PERFECT, it's right in the heart of Midtown and close to subways, buses, taxis - you name it.
There's a lot of diners, coffee shops and delis in the neighbourhood and many of them are open 24/7!

We checked in very late, around 1AM, but that wasn't a problem at all. Got a room on the 25th floor with a view of 42nd and Lex. The receptionist that checked us in (think his name was Paulo/Pablo) was very helpful and gave us the exact room we wanted - a high floor and a larger bed. He also gave us a coupon for a complimentary breakfast at the hotel the next morning, what a lovely gesture! Never felt so taken care of at a hotel before :)

I hope to come back to NYC for my 16th time next year and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear annika83,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. We are honored to be considered one of the best hotels in NYC! I am glad you found our location to be convenient to your needs. I’m happy your were pleased with your accommodations as well.

We can’t wait to welcome you back in the hopefully near future.

All the best,
Lauren
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

The location was super, short walking distance to attractions, subway just around the corner. Staff were friendly and helpful, which I never expected from NYC. My friend and I stayed for 5 nights on 29th floor which was no problem!

Room Tip: Higher floors 27+, less stress noise. Try cheesecake at Junior's, one of the Best!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

Great manager made the stay much better. The rooms are fine - but the location is king! Push for an upgrade as the average room is just for sleeping & no bath if that is important. I liked the free coffee or water in the great "store" off the lobby. I would stay again or try for the Andaz.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Euless, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

We had a non-smoking room on the 31st floor. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable but paying an extra $25.00 for a high floor wasn't worth it. We had a room overlooking grand central but the view was dissapointing. The only advantage I can see to a higher floor was that the city noise was not too loud but we could still hear the sirens and horns. Additionally, although the TV was a 42" it did not have HD and the channel selection was average. Otherwise, the stay was great and we would definitely return to the Grand Hyatt at grand central.

Room Tip: Don't bpther with a high floor room. It is not worth the extra $25.00 per day.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Framingham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I had a non-smoking king room in the corner of the 26th floor. It was a beautiful room with a nice sized shower. The room was very attractive and clean. It had a sitting area and a nice sized flat screen TV. I have only two complaints, both about the bathroom. One was that the toilet was wedged between the shower wall and the sink. I am not a big guy (5'10" tall and weigh 185 lbs.) but felt like I was being squeezed. The other complaint was that the ledge over the sink really blocked my access to the sink. Minor issues because the room was really delightful.

Plenty of elevators. I never had to wait long at all.

I attended a gala and the food at the cocktail hour and dinner was really very good.

It's very well located so it was an easy walk to get to a great deal of Manhatten.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Len B
Cancun
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Overall a very nice experience! Smooth and friendly check-in, excellent service and best of all an amazing location. Easy walk to 5th Ave, Central Park, Times Square, Bryant Park etc. Very nice touch to receive coupons upon check in for free coffee at the Market. Nice hotel rooms, a bit small, but very clean and comfortable and nice amenities too. We were on the 34th floor and we couldn't hear any noise so we slept like babies (blackout curtains and a very comfy beds helped too!). I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone visiting NYC. P.S. Lovely cupcake store right next door!

Room Tip: No noise on the 34rd floor, around the corner from elevators.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends