“Bad Bad Bad”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Suisse
“Bad Bad Bad”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

If you are used to upscale hotels do not waist your time! feels like being in a shopping mall (1300 rooms), as i usually stay in Park Hyatt hotels i can notice a huge difference between Grand hyatt and Park hyatt!
positive: good location and friendly front desk staff.
Negative: small rooms, tiny bathrooms, no free hifi, and dirty rooms (huge problems of housekeeping)
Will never come back

2 Thank Alexos78
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, v at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Alexos78,

We appreciate you taking the time in letting us know about your recent experience with us, unfortunately it was not a positive one. It is nice to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and our friendly staff but I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your accommodations, specifically the condition your room was left in by housekeeping. I sincerely apologize for this. A Housekeeping Manager would like to speak with you to find out more about your situation concerning your room. If you will, please contact qualitynycgh@hyatt.com (Attn: Housekeeping Manager) to speak directly with a manager.

I hope we have the opportunity to show you what we are truly capable of.

Lauren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Colchester
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Great hotel, looked after us very well. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Bath's were a little small. Hotel Lobby very impressive. Slight confusion with getting our two rooms next to each other but quickly sorted.
Great location on 42nd Street. 15 minute walk to Times Square and 5 minutes to 5th Ave and right next door to Grand Central Station

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ski_Mann
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Ski_Mann,

Thank you for your review! I am so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The reservation process was easy with normal confirmations. Check-in was fantastic (one of the best I have had in NYC) and we had the pleasure of meeting Jillian who took care of the two rooms we had with a rollaway. She also provided us with ample coupons for water/tea/etc at The Market in the lobby and this was of great value. The rooms had been renovated, were modern, very clean and reasonably sized considering this is NYC. The only negative with the room (ours was on the 22 floor) was that the doors were very noisy when they closed - they were heavy doors which was nice, they closed easily but they need some cushions so that when they hit the frame it isn't so loud. It was quite noisy after the shows let out (between 11pm and midnight) and between 0730-0900 as people left. Here is my one word of CAUTION. Unlike Marriott (and this may be due to my loyalty status) this property not only charged for Internet access but they also charged PER DEVICE which is the first time I have experienced this anywhere in the world. As my wife and I had laptops for emails and we had a iPad for our child, they wanted to charge 3 times the fee for daily access which would have been around USD40 per day for Internet and this is very uncompetitive. We advised this to the front desk and they subsequently changed the charge to "per room" and this was acceptible to us..
Also, for those using taxis, go to the taxi stand on the second floor (M level I think) as there are lots of taxis with little wait and this is in stark contrast to trying to get a taxi out front on 42nd street.
for those wanting dining choices, mid down is great. For those wanting to take food back to the room, Grand Central Station is about 25 yards away and has a wonderful Marketplace as well as a food court that has around 15 places to grab some food so this is very convenient. There are also two pharmacies within one block on 42 St.
Overall, a very nice stay, nice people, great location - we will stay there again on our next trip.

3 Thank Jbshkg
Dear Jbshkg,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m glad you had an overall good experience with us from your efficient check-in to your clean and modern guest room. I apologize about the slamming of the guest room doors. This is something I will certainly bring up with our engineering team so they can look into the matter.

I am happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Cardiff
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Room was excellent, with very comfortable beds. Had a magnificient view of the Chrysler Building right outside our window on the 28th floor. Location was the most important factor, next door to Grand Central Station and within walking distance to most of the major sights in the City. Will definitely stay next time I visit The Big Apple

2 Thank rockeypops
San Francisco
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This was my first stay here and most likely the last. I have stayed at all the Hyatt’s in the NYC area and this is the worst. First off this is the old Commodore Hotel built in 1919, the hotel was completely gutted and horribly reskinned in the 80s. The façade of the building now is just plain UGLY with discolored and dirty glass that needs to be replaced. As you walk around the hotel there are hints of the old grand Commodore, the foyer to the Grand Ballroom is just beautiful… unfortunately it seems the hotel plumbing is the original installed in 1919.

When I arrived the front desk greeting was nice and professional. I asked what type of room was I getting, the front desk replied, “we are in short supply of king rooms tonight and management has put a special blocked on one of the few beautiful outstanding kings rooms… just for you, a loyal Hyatt Guest"…

As I opened the door to my room I was greeted by this god awful smell coming from the bathroom… it smelled like the bathroom had not been cleaned since 1919!!! I called down and was told they would move me to a larger room. When at the front desk to retrieve my new keys there were 3 other guest who were greeted by the same smell from hell I had encountered. My first impressions of this hotel was going downhill real fast… I started to ask myself WHY AM I HERE!!! Why did I cancel my reservation at the ANDAZ?

Before I move on, I like to point out I think they did a wonderful job on the room renovation, the lighting and décor in the is very nice… the lobby is a bit odd, great concept, weird statues that look better in the South Pacific, that out of place here, the lobby is oddly designed, it just does not fall together quite well. It looks amazing on the Hyatt website, but in person the overall lobby seems strange.

MY ROOM
My new room was nice, about twice the size of the smelly room, it had a large bathroom and closet and a toilet that I had to continually flush multiple times to get a clean bowl…. I had no view, just the wall of an unattractive building across the street, the room was dark, for any decent lighting I had to turn on the lights during the middle of day. Noise… there was lots of noise!!! I could hear people walking in the hall and every word and cry for joy the couple in the neighboring room made. There were plenty of outlets to plug in my MacBook Pro, iPad, and iPhone … but the Internet service was so 1990s.

WIFI - INTERNET
The hotel advises you that if your stay comes with free wifi that only the standard wifi is complimentary, if you upgrade you have to pay the difference. I purchased the upgraded package because I love fast reliable Internet service but… to my horror I constantly got messages that no Internet connection was available, downloads of PDFs took forever!!! I know NYC is no Silicon Valley but this was unacceptable and frustrating, I receive faster more reliable wifi at 35,000 feet on gogo.

THE GRAND CLUB:
The new club is beautiful with a nice outdoor patio seating area, nice selection of hour d oeuvres and beverages. BE WARNED… do not purchased alcohol here, they charge you $9.00 for a 3 – 4 ounce pour of that cheap disgusting Canvas wine and $12 for a 3 – 4 ounce pour for Columbia Crest which cost $7 - $12 a bottle at your local Trader Joes. TECHNOLOGY: There was no wifi and the outlets on the patio that did not work…. Again I had to remind myself I was not in Silicon Valley…. this is New York all talk no tech!

THE LOUNGE AT NEW YORK CENTRAL
They should rename this “The Lounge at RIP OFF Central”. I ordered the hamburger, which comes with 5 – 6 pieces of streak fries, cost $20, you can get a better burger and a large order of fires at the famous Shake Shack for half the price... I also ordered a 3 – 4 ounce glass of Ferrari-Carano Fume blanc at $12, which is the cost of the bottle at your local market. I have dined all over NYC from “The Dutch” in Soho, Bouley in Tribeca, Bell Brook and Candle in the Village, Otto, Jean Georges etc. etc. but have never felt so ripped off after a meal. I don’t mind paying money to eat or drink as long as it is memorable and GOOD! THIS WAS NOT.

IN THE END
The Grand Hyatt just gave me the impression that it’s just a convention hotel that nickels and dimes you…. The hotel décor has been nicely renovated but it has the infrastructure of the hotel that is falling apart (rooms that smell like a septic tank)…. In NYC for the price there are much better hotels to enjoy, they should re-brand this hotel as “The Hyatt at Grand Central”. Grand location... not so GRAND Hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear SFtraveler67,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience at Grand Hyatt New York. I am glad you enjoyed the guest room’s newly remodeled appearance. However, I am sincerely apologize for the subpar experience you had with us. The smell you encountered in your guest room is very unusual. Although you made the front desk aware of this during your stay, I am going to follow up to make sure looked into and taken care of. I’m very sorry for this nuisance. If you would like to speak further about your stay, please email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com to speak with a manager.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed for two weeks on business and it couldve seriously been a two rating or rven a five.

I first arrived late at night and spoke to reception. I asked the guy for a non-smoking room and he put me in a smoking roomon the 15th floor. 1512 I believe it was. The room smelled of smoke, had an air purifier which was extremely loud going non-stop, the bathroom had a shower and bath tub combined and the bath tub was quite worn - the paint or enamel had scraped off. I was too jet lagged and tired to change so slept the night there.

Next day I asked a lady to change the rooms. She did so and was extremely nice and even mentioned it was a smoking room. She moved me to a room on the 21st floor - 2163. It was great, in great condition, was very big for a new York hotel and I really enjoyed it.

For the two weeks I would encounter some staff who were fantastic and some who were not so much. S i think it really is hit or miss how great or bad a stay you have here.

The gym was good but quite small - again a new York thing. The bar is decent. The wifi has to be paid for - premium or standard options, although they waived my wifi fee. A night though when a lot of people are using it its hard to get anything transferred.

Close to Bryant park and fifth avenue, and obviously right on top of grand central terminal. The location is fantastic.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rick79m
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This was my first stay at this Grand Hyatt. The room was nicely upgraded, very modern, and contemporary. I had a nice desk for a working area, sofa, and huge footstool. I stayed for 8 nights and will definitely stay again when I visit the City.

I appreciated the refrigerator for keeping juices and snacks (easy to get at the Duane Reede across the street on Lexington). The usual amenities (hairdryer, iron/ironing board, large flatscreen TV), but I missed having a coffee maker. I brought my own little pot for heating water and my own mug.

All the staff were polite and helpful. I didn't have much of a view (looking out on Lexington into an office building), but I don't go to New York to hang out in the room.

The prices for sandwiches and snacks at the 24-hour Market in the lobby were not out of line for New York. They charge for wifi Internet access, but with Starbucks everywhere in the city, it's easy to find free wifi.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank California26
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear California26,
We appreciate you taking the time to write your review of your recent 8- night stay with us. We are so glad you had a pleasant stay from the convenient amenities in your guest room to our polite and helpful staff. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best,