“Bit of a let down”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Bit of a let down”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This was the last hotel stay on our America trip and we were really looking forward to New York and as we paid extra for the better location were expecting something really great. We arrived at 6pm after a 2 hour wait at the airport( thanks to go shuttle) so when we were told the room wasn't ready were a bit shocked. As it was going to be a few hours wait they offered us a room with a roll out bed for our daughter, we went up to have a look and you couldnt swing a cat in it, plus at approx $400 per night it was a rip off. When my husband complained they told us that the room we had booked for 6 months prior was given to someone who had walked in off the street so it definately doesnt pay to prebook. After complaining we were given another room with proper bedding too bad it was opposite the lift with bells constantly ringing on a Saturday night, we didnt get much sleep and thought it may have been pay back for kicking up a fuss. Next day we were relocated after complaining again. All in all apart from location was the worst accommodation in USA for us we felt like we were an inconvenience as we were not business people like the majority staying there. Paying for baggage storage, coffee, internet on top!!!!!

Room Tip: Never stay opposite the lifts!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank John S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Wow! This hotel has gone through a renovation since my last stay, it was nice before and now it is spectacular! I love the room design and the lobby has a very hip vibe! Their Grand Club was perfect, everyone was feeling it! Being able to get something hot to eat late at their 24 hour market, like their super delicious Yankee pot roast stew, how cool is that!?! Also, the server at their restaurant, Eddie and the nice young lady at the Market, Miss Rivera were both very warm and hospitable. Considering this hotel's great location, this is my official New York city digs!!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Tom C
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Tom C,

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are thrilled you loved the newly redesigned hotel from the lobby and guest rooms to the Grand Club lounge. We will be sure to pass along your sweet comments to both Eddie and Miss Rivera, it will put smiles on their faces. We are honored to be your official hotel of choice in NYC and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Suisse
Reviewed 9 June 2012

If you are used to upscale hotels do not waist your time! feels like being in a shopping mall (1300 rooms), as i usually stay in Park Hyatt hotels i can notice a huge difference between Grand hyatt and Park hyatt!
positive: good location and friendly front desk staff.
Negative: small rooms, tiny bathrooms, no free hifi, and dirty rooms (huge problems of housekeeping)
Will never come back

2 Thank Alexos78
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, v at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Alexos78,

We appreciate you taking the time in letting us know about your recent experience with us, unfortunately it was not a positive one. It is nice to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and our friendly staff but I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your accommodations, specifically the condition your room was left in by housekeeping. I sincerely apologize for this. A Housekeeping Manager would like to speak with you to find out more about your situation concerning your room. If you will, please contact qualitynycgh@hyatt.com (Attn: Housekeeping Manager) to speak directly with a manager.

I hope we have the opportunity to show you what we are truly capable of.

Colchester
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Great hotel, looked after us very well. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Bath's were a little small. Hotel Lobby very impressive. Slight confusion with getting our two rooms next to each other but quickly sorted.
Great location on 42nd Street. 15 minute walk to Times Square and 5 minutes to 5th Ave and right next door to Grand Central Station

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ski_Mann
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Ski_Mann,

Thank you for your review! I am so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The reservation process was easy with normal confirmations. Check-in was fantastic (one of the best I have had in NYC) and we had the pleasure of meeting Jillian who took care of the two rooms we had with a rollaway. She also provided us with ample coupons for water/tea/etc at The Market in the lobby and this was of great value. The rooms had been renovated, were modern, very clean and reasonably sized considering this is NYC. The only negative with the room (ours was on the 22 floor) was that the doors were very noisy when they closed - they were heavy doors which was nice, they closed easily but they need some cushions so that when they hit the frame it isn't so loud. It was quite noisy after the shows let out (between 11pm and midnight) and between 0730-0900 as people left. Here is my one word of CAUTION. Unlike Marriott (and this may be due to my loyalty status) this property not only charged for Internet access but they also charged PER DEVICE which is the first time I have experienced this anywhere in the world. As my wife and I had laptops for emails and we had a iPad for our child, they wanted to charge 3 times the fee for daily access which would have been around USD40 per day for Internet and this is very uncompetitive. We advised this to the front desk and they subsequently changed the charge to "per room" and this was acceptible to us..
Also, for those using taxis, go to the taxi stand on the second floor (M level I think) as there are lots of taxis with little wait and this is in stark contrast to trying to get a taxi out front on 42nd street.
for those wanting dining choices, mid down is great. For those wanting to take food back to the room, Grand Central Station is about 25 yards away and has a wonderful Marketplace as well as a food court that has around 15 places to grab some food so this is very convenient. There are also two pharmacies within one block on 42 St.
Overall, a very nice stay, nice people, great location - we will stay there again on our next trip.

3 Thank Jbshkg
Dear Jbshkg,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m glad you had an overall good experience with us from your efficient check-in to your clean and modern guest room. I apologize about the slamming of the guest room doors. This is something I will certainly bring up with our engineering team so they can look into the matter.

I am happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Room was excellent, with very comfortable beds. Had a magnificient view of the Chrysler Building right outside our window on the 28th floor. Location was the most important factor, next door to Grand Central Station and within walking distance to most of the major sights in the City. Will definitely stay next time I visit The Big Apple

2 Thank rockeypops
San Francisco
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This was my first stay here and most likely the last. I have stayed at all the Hyatt’s in the NYC area and this is the worst. First off this is the old Commodore Hotel built in 1919, the hotel was completely gutted and horribly reskinned in the 80s. The façade of the building now is just plain UGLY with discolored and dirty glass that needs to be replaced. As you walk around the hotel there are hints of the old grand Commodore, the foyer to the Grand Ballroom is just beautiful… unfortunately it seems the hotel plumbing is the original installed in 1919.

When I arrived the front desk greeting was nice and professional. I asked what type of room was I getting, the front desk replied, “we are in short supply of king rooms tonight and management has put a special blocked on one of the few beautiful outstanding kings rooms… just for you, a loyal Hyatt Guest"…

As I opened the door to my room I was greeted by this god awful smell coming from the bathroom… it smelled like the bathroom had not been cleaned since 1919!!! I called down and was told they would move me to a larger room. When at the front desk to retrieve my new keys there were 3 other guest who were greeted by the same smell from hell I had encountered. My first impressions of this hotel was going downhill real fast… I started to ask myself WHY AM I HERE!!! Why did I cancel my reservation at the ANDAZ?

Before I move on, I like to point out I think they did a wonderful job on the room renovation, the lighting and décor in the is very nice… the lobby is a bit odd, great concept, weird statues that look better in the South Pacific, that out of place here, the lobby is oddly designed, it just does not fall together quite well. It looks amazing on the Hyatt website, but in person the overall lobby seems strange.

MY ROOM
My new room was nice, about twice the size of the smelly room, it had a large bathroom and closet and a toilet that I had to continually flush multiple times to get a clean bowl…. I had no view, just the wall of an unattractive building across the street, the room was dark, for any decent lighting I had to turn on the lights during the middle of day. Noise… there was lots of noise!!! I could hear people walking in the hall and every word and cry for joy the couple in the neighboring room made. There were plenty of outlets to plug in my MacBook Pro, iPad, and iPhone … but the Internet service was so 1990s.

WIFI - INTERNET
The hotel advises you that if your stay comes with free wifi that only the standard wifi is complimentary, if you upgrade you have to pay the difference. I purchased the upgraded package because I love fast reliable Internet service but… to my horror I constantly got messages that no Internet connection was available, downloads of PDFs took forever!!! I know NYC is no Silicon Valley but this was unacceptable and frustrating, I receive faster more reliable wifi at 35,000 feet on gogo.

THE GRAND CLUB:
The new club is beautiful with a nice outdoor patio seating area, nice selection of hour d oeuvres and beverages. BE WARNED… do not purchased alcohol here, they charge you $9.00 for a 3 – 4 ounce pour of that cheap disgusting Canvas wine and $12 for a 3 – 4 ounce pour for Columbia Crest which cost $7 - $12 a bottle at your local Trader Joes. TECHNOLOGY: There was no wifi and the outlets on the patio that did not work…. Again I had to remind myself I was not in Silicon Valley…. this is New York all talk no tech!

THE LOUNGE AT NEW YORK CENTRAL
They should rename this “The Lounge at RIP OFF Central”. I ordered the hamburger, which comes with 5 – 6 pieces of streak fries, cost $20, you can get a better burger and a large order of fires at the famous Shake Shack for half the price... I also ordered a 3 – 4 ounce glass of Ferrari-Carano Fume blanc at $12, which is the cost of the bottle at your local market. I have dined all over NYC from “The Dutch” in Soho, Bouley in Tribeca, Bell Brook and Candle in the Village, Otto, Jean Georges etc. etc. but have never felt so ripped off after a meal. I don’t mind paying money to eat or drink as long as it is memorable and GOOD! THIS WAS NOT.

IN THE END
The Grand Hyatt just gave me the impression that it’s just a convention hotel that nickels and dimes you…. The hotel décor has been nicely renovated but it has the infrastructure of the hotel that is falling apart (rooms that smell like a septic tank)…. In NYC for the price there are much better hotels to enjoy, they should re-brand this hotel as “The Hyatt at Grand Central”. Grand location... not so GRAND Hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear SFtraveler67,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience at Grand Hyatt New York. I am glad you enjoyed the guest room’s newly remodeled appearance. However, I am sincerely apologize for the subpar experience you had with us. The smell you encountered in your guest room is very unusual. Although you made the front desk aware of this during your stay, I am going to follow up to make sure looked into and taken care of. I’m very sorry for this nuisance. If you would like to speak further about your stay, please email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com to speak with a manager.