“Very central and beautiful room”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #324 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Stayed for 4 nights recently. Had 'two double bed' room for my sister and I - and the room was very modern and clean and big (!!) with walk in closet and beautiful clean bathroom. Located right next door to Central Station and close to 5th Ave for shopping. Comes with all benefits of corporate hotel, ei hairdryers, 24 market, great conceirge etc. Good for first time to New York but lacked quaint atmosphere/greenery as some of the smaller boutique hotels available in upper east/west sides.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank VancouverArtGallery
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt New York

Reviewed 19 June 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a 3 night break at the grand Hyatt new York. Would definitely recommend this hotel who visits new York. A bit of a mix up with the room when we checked in but it was rectified straight away. All the staff were helpful and provided us with an excellence service throughout our stay. A special thank you to Stephanie for the complimentary amenities you left in our room on our return to the hotel after exploring a great city for the inconvenience when we checked in. The grand Hyatt is a splendid hotel, lovely clean rooms excellent service from all staff involved in our stay. Would return to this hotel again. Thank you for making my first trip to new York enjoyable.

1  Thank wakeylass_11
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear wakeylass_11,

Thank you for choosing Grand Hyatt New York on your first trip to NYC! I am glad we made your stay enjoyable from our convenient location, clean guest rooms and excellent service. We can’t wait to welcome you back in your future travels to NYC!

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Grand Hyatt at NYC has a great location. It is 4 block off Broadway in one of the nicest areas in Manhattan. Rooms are very clean and modern. Excellent choice if you are looking for a 4 start hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BERNIE2009
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed here over memorial day weekend for our first trip to NYC and were very impressed with the Hyatt! Our flight arrived very early in the morning and since they had a room available let us check in way before our check in time. And the location was perfect; we walked to 5th Avenue, Central Park, Times Square, and Rockefeller. When we couldn't walk the hotel being connected to Grand Central is incredibly convenient and we found there were even some great places to grab a quick bite in Grand Central.

The rooms were very comfortable and for NYC rather larger; we had a corner room and were very pleased with the size and comfort. The only negative comment I have about the room was when we checked in there were some hairs in the shower. I had read on other reviews on here that housekeeping wasn't the greatest, but this was the only housekeeping issue we had.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a high floor. You will still hear some city noise, but it just adds to the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Krissy M
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear Krissy M,

I am so glad you chose to stay with us on your first trip to NYC! I am delighted that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location to Fifth Avenue, Times Square, etc. and also that you came across the Grand Central Terminal dining concourse which has a plethora of food and drink options. I am terribly sorry about the housekeeping issue you encountered with the stray hairs in the shower. This is unacceptable of our housekeepers to leave the shower in this condition and please be aware that this will be brought up with our housekeeping department to ensure it does not happen again. I hope we are lucky enough to be your hotel of choice on your future visits to NYC!

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I can't praise the Grand Hyatt highly enough! We stayed there for three nights as part of a trip to New York for my partners birthday. I've been to New York three times before, but this was their first trip, so a hotel that is central to all the main tourist must-sees was important. The location couldn't have been better; 5 mins from 5th Avenue, 5 mins from Times Square and central for walks north to Central Park and south to Greenwich Village, Ground Zero and the Statue of Liberty.

The welcome on reception was very warm and helpful, and on finding out it was my partners birthday, the lady offered to send something up to the room complimentary. This turned out to be champagne and chocolate strawberries which was a nice touch. The room was spacious and clean, excellent selection of channels on the TV (not that you should have time to watch them - there is too much to see and do!!!), and a great view down onto the street.

The hotel has a couple of good shops, and easy access to the mini arcade of shops at Grand Central Station.

We didn't eat in the restaurant (why would you eat at the hotel in New York), but the bar was good and not too overpriced.

As other reviewers have said the only downsides are the lack of tea/coffee facilities in the room and that you have to pay for the wifi... this is the 21st century, surely that should be free by now.

But really can't fault the hotel at all, and would definitely look at staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JohnStratton
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear JohnStratton,

We are thrilled by your high praise of Grand Hyatt New York! We are so delighted that you and your partner had a great stay with us, and are happy you enjoyed the champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. I hope we made this trip a memorable one and would love to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

You can't beat location if you want to be close to the subway, for ease of getting round the city.
The Hyatt is right next door to Grand Central station, and is a great choice.
The room we had was huge, with a walk in closet which was great for storing cases and served as a dressing room.
The room was very clean, and the staff very helpful.
The marketplace is great for breakfast and any snacks, although we did find an awesome patisserie just inside Grand Central station that served just as nice pastries, but a little cheaper.
Would stay again!

Room Tip: We were on the 33rd floor, and so had a good view!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cochranitegal

Dear Cochranitegal,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback of your recent stay at Grand Hyatt New York. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back!

Reviewed 15 June 2012

The location really can't be beat. It was great being so close to Grand Central Station, Bryant Park, the UN and Times Square. Having a fridge in the room was really handy, especially since the Market in the lobby sells fruit cups and yogurt parfaits. I was able to pick up some yogurt at night, then have breakfast ready to eat in my room in the morning! I usually enjoy ordering room service at least once during a trip, but I found the room service prices here too high to justify. Besides, the Grand Central food court has plenty of great (and cheap!) options, and it's just a few steps away! I highly recommend Junior's for breakfast and sandwiches - there are two locations in Grand Central. If you're up for a 5-min stroll, Bravo Pizza on 42nd near Fifth Ave is great for a quick slice.

The hotel room itself was tiny but it had most of the things I needed. The hotel website said there was a work station in the room, which I was looking for since I was there for work for over half my trip. However, I couldn't tell what they were referring to. There was no desk, so maybe they meant the table in front of the little couch? It wasn't ideal for working, but it did in a pinch.

As many people in previous reviews mentioned, the air conditioning didn't work very well in the rooms. Luckily it wasn't that hot while I was there, but i could definitely see that being a problem in warmer weather. I was shocked by the high wifi prices - $16.95/ day for 'premium' access, which I needed since I was working. I was there for 6 nights, so that really adds up! I also found the charge to check bags unusual - $2/ bag. I've never had to pay to store bags before.

We had a minor housekeeping issue that the staff resolved in a friendly way - though it took awhile. There was a stain on our comforter, so we called housekeeping in the morning and asked if our housekeeper could replace it when she did our regular cleaning. There must have been a miscommunication, because the dirty comforter was still there that evening. We called housekeeping again, and an employee brought up a clean comforter, then tracked down the housekeeper to re-make the bed. Not a big deal, but the stain was quite large so we found it unusual they didn't notice it!

Overall, the hotel isn't overly impressive, but it's certainly good enough for the price (we got a deal on Expedia). Plus the location is amazing.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking Grand Central. We had an amazing view down 42nd St
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business