“Excellent Location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston
“Excellent Location”
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

Good :
Location,cleanliness ,staff, modern lobby and rooms
Room for improvement: No coffee or tea setup in room(but they do give you tickets for free coffee, tea, or water, at their coffee shop). No free Internet, you must pay $ 12.95 for 24 hour access. Hyatt acts like a nickel and dime cheapskate with Internet. If you are on a leisure trip without corporate write offs this fee can add up.
p.s. We found a fantastic Italian restaurant nearby on this trip ,with authentic Italian cooking , called Via Italia. One of the highlights of our vacation .

• Stayed June 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The location of the hotel couldn't have been better. Right at the heart of the midtown Manhattan and with Grand Central station quite literally next door, it was ideal for our first visit to NY. Whenever we were out and wanted to return back to the hotel, we just headed for the nearest subway to Grand Central or bus to 42nd Street.

Our room had been refurbished and was very comfortable - the bed is one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have slept in. The room had a clean and modern bathroom, with an effective shower. The main bedroom area had a large plasma screen TV. Only analogue channels were accessible without paying, but this was fine as we generally just needed it for local news and weather. Also in the room was a large wardrobe with sliding doors, which contained a small, attached safe, ideal for securing possessions while we were out.

I have read the various comments about the price of the food and drinks in the hotel. I agree that they are outrageous, but all I can say is more fool them for paying those prices when they are clearly advertised and they have the whole of Manhattan, with its thousand of restaurants. diners, bars and deli's right outside. The charge for Internet access was also irritating and one we avoided - lots of public places, such as Starbucks, have free access. For online check-in for return flights, there is a PC and printer in the lobby which guests can use free of charge.

Most days we were out all day from early morning til late evening and the hotel was primarily for showering and sleeping. For breakfast we typically walked a couple of hundred yards along 42nd street, grabbed breakfast from 'Pret a Manger' or one of the local diners and ate it in the very pleasant surroundings of Bryant park, which was directly opposite. (Bryant Park is one of NY's hidden gems and a great place to spend a warm evening with a cold beer or glass of wine).

Overall, I enjoyed the stay and would happily return to this hotel, but would avoid purchasing any 'extras' from there.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amberley K
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My mum always told me " If you have nothing nice to say about the person than don't say anything at all" so I like to apply this saying to this hotel as there is nothing nice I can say about it.

Only good things is the location as only few minutes to the Grand Central Station.

I will never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank MPavlov
, PR & Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear MPavlov,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. I apologize that you did not enjoy your time with us and would like to find out the details of it. If you would, please email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com (Attn: Front Office) so we can find out where we went wrong. Thanks again for letting us know, we hope we can change your mind about staying with us in the future.

Best,
Lauren
Melrose, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 June 2012

What's not to like about Grand Hyatt: it is conveniently located right a Grand Central Station, it has been fabulously renovated, and at least the time I stayed there in June 2012, very fairly priced.

When you get to your room, you can watch a video about all they changed, but here's some of what I really observed:
The lobby and entrance are grand... in a stylish and not outlandish way. You are treated once you arrive at the top of the escalator by a hostess. Check-in at the front desk moved along efficiently. Probably the only thing old are the elevators.

The rooms have been incredibly renovated. It is very modern in an understated way.

But... here was the one surprise: I first had a room with two double beds (originally we had planned for my wife and son to join me). It had two flat screen TVs: one that you could watch from bed and one in this very comfortable alcove that was complete with a chaise lounge.

When I learned my son was not joining my wife and I, I asked to be moved to a room with a king size bed. They were accommodating of my request and even moved my luggage to my new room only two rooms away.

This room was very comfortable... but it didn't have the cool alcove. Who would have thought that the room with the king size bed didn't come with the alcove. Oh well.

The hotel and room was very clean. The staff was friendly.

My employer is almost directly across the street from Grand Central station. If I need to stay in the city again, I'll probably sample a few other hotels... but I'm pretty sure that the Grand Hyatt will be my go to place.

Room Tip: The rooms in ending in the 40's (as in 1741) have windows facing a building cavern and get no na...
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Check-in: bad experience. Despite some staff are both very friendly and professional, the very first person to check us in was too familiar, and did not inform us, for instance, about the fact that our floor was below a refurbished floor. The information about our payment plan (B/B) was not consistent with our information. In general, during our stay, the time we needed to wait at the reception was too long, either physically or by phone.

Messy and rude: Chaotic situation with phones. When we were calling from the room, our room number appeared to the switchboard under a different room number, under the name of "Mr. X". The technical issue was solved OK, but the operator did not understand the problem when we called, put an abrupt end to the call and connected me to the reception straight away without any word...
Also, a wake up call request from our part never reached us - eventually reached the wrong room (despite that the technical issue on the phone lines chaos had already been reported by us). While I appreciate the fact that the Security Officer came to check our well-doing (since we did not answer the wake-up call), her intrusion to the room was too brutal: after knocking, she did not wait after I shouted "one moment please" and directly burst into the privacy of the room. She did not listen for my explanations about the lines issue (she heard but did not understand) and following her reaction (no-belief), I had to invite her to use the room phone for her to contact the reception and get a confirmation that we did not take over the room of Mr. X! much appreciate security - but the officers should "use gloves" - we are in a 5* hotel - not in a jail station.

Security?? One night, while returning from an external event, following a lock technical failure and our request for security escort to the room - the reception has been non professional by omitting to explain our concerns to the security officer. We were asked to join the security officer at our door (that is no "escort"!). After waiting for 10 minutes with nobody coming, from my room's floor, I had to call the hotel switchboard from my cellphone, and ask for the security - to get a quick and positive output.

Breakfast - Chaotic and stressful. First, business speaking, the customer should not be the one to inform the waiters about the "Business Plan". It looks like the breakfast issue was not clear between the "sales" and the travel agent. From our faithful agent, we got a room with "bed and breakfast", as we always do. Not with a partial breakfast. Note also that the price of the breakfast was changing everyday for identical ordered items (croissants for instance).
Breakfast service: While some individuals were very friendly and polite, most were acting too fast, and did not listen (or did not reflect this into the service). The breakfast team is not properly trained to serve in a Hyatt property. A couple of dinners also confirmed the rudeness of the staff (one was astonished that we asked for selecting our bread from a plate where it was anyway offered to the customers; one ran after us because we did not leave "enough" tips etc...). That is not a 5* behavior. In general, I would define the breakfast/meal experience as stressful. Also, I do not understand why there was no buffet available, and why people had to wait in line to receive service (and a bad one).

I have been disappointed by the lack of professionalism of the staff at this property. I hope the physical refurbishment of the hotel will be accompanied by a more serious training of the staff, which I found rarely listening, often unprofessional, and sometimes rude.

My 31 July 2011 email summarizing my disappointment to the reception manager [E.C.], a very nice and professional woman when I met with her face-face, remained with no answer. In addition, my letter sent by post office to R.W. [HR Officer], at the HQ of the Hyatt Corporation, South Wacker Dr., chicago, IL - also remained unanswered.

For all the issues of guest relations/customer service, and non-answer to official mails (which did not come to ask anything, but just to report with the hope to improve future stays) - I give the worst mark I have ever given here till now.

It is a pity for New-York that visitors in the city should be hosted under such customer service conditions. It is not only a negative mark for the Hyatt properties, but unfortunately also a negative influence in the experience of the "Big Apple" visitors - may they be US citizens or foreigners.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Professor_Camel
Dear Professor_Camel,

We very much appreciate you taking the time to write your detailed review of your stay with us. I would like to first apologize about the unanswered correspondences you sent via email and the postal service. That is very unlikely of the Hyatt team to ignore guest feedback so I am concerned as to why you have not heard anything back. Please accept this as our formal notice that we have received and acknowledged your feedback of your July 2011 stay at Grand Hyatt New York. The service you received while at our hotel is not typical of the level of service we strive to provide. I sincerely apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced due to a mixup on our end. If you will, please email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com (Attn: Front Office Manager) so we may speak with you directly about your stay and address all of your points. We thank you again for the time you spent on letting us know about your stay and we hope we can restore your faith in Hyatt.

Best,
Lauren
Saint Marys, PA
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt both pre- and post-renovation, and I appreciate the updated décor. The rooms are much more inviting than they were previously. However, some issues definitely detract from the hotel’s desirability. First, the internet is $12.95 for 24 hours PER DEVICE. I signed up with my iPad and then was informed that I would have to pay a separate $12.95 fee to use internet on my laptop. At $350/night for my room, I believe the internet should be included. This nickeling and diming creates a poor user experience. (Note: When I complained, the front desk did comp the second device because I was not aware of the policy, so that adds a plus on the customer service side.) Second, the water pressure is terrible. My shower would not even stay on. It turned off repeatedly mid-shower because of lack of pressure. The water in the sink came out at a trickle, and the toilet wouldn’t flush properly. Third, the reception on the TV is terrible – it’s fuzzy. I also could not check out properly in my room; after going through the entire check out process on the TV, I was informed that check out could not be completed, so I had to go to the kiosk in the lobby to check out all over again. Positives: the staff and the location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. From the bellhops to the check-in staff to the concierge/bag check, everyone was pleasant. Really nice to have in NYC. The location is very convenient, being right next to Grand Central. The restaurant was good, too, and the staff was pleasant and accommodating. Will I stay at the Grand Hyatt again? Yes, because of the staff and the location, but whether I will stay there will depend on where I need to be in NYC for my trip, especially considering the price.

1 Thank LisaM313
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Clean & nice furniture, everything brand-new. Very modern.
Good location, direct access to Grand Station, tube, shops etc...
Probably the #2 largest hotel in NY - so little chance to make connection with staff (automatic check in/out machines is encouraged like in the airport). No real athmostphere.
Internet not complimentary and rather expensive - outrageous for the room price

1 Thank superbeya