“Fantastic hotel in a perfect location but a little pricy”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #314 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Devon
“Fantastic hotel in a perfect location but a little pricy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

After a long search for a hotel in NY we picked this hotel for the location and the fact it had an on-suite bathroom (which we found difficult to find in some of the budget hotels). We have been going to NY for 23 years and this is the first time we have stayed in a hotel after usual spending time with family.
The reception was very impressive when you walk in with staff members waiting for you at the top of the stairs to direct you to the check-in area. Although the queue was long when we got there this moved very quickly and we were able to choose which room we would like (whether we wanted to be close to the lift / stairs etc). The room was very spacious with a walk-in shower, king size bed, i-pod docking station, safe, fridge and a walk in wardrobe. Everything was very clean and tidy and towels were changed daily and there were more towels than we knew what to do with.
The hotel is in an excellent location directly above Grand Central Station with most of the subway routes running through there so easy to get around the city and the surrounding area for us as we spent a considerable time outside of Manhatten. Fifth Avenue was a five minute walk coming directly out by the library.
Having not spent time staying in Manhatten we did find food within the area very expensive and over priced, including the restaurant in the hotel. There is a 24 hour market in the hotel where the food was a lot better priced but my recommendation would be to take a subway out toward Queens were the food is very good, there is so much choice and half the price.
Also found the hotel to be pricy considering at the end of the day you are only using it to sleep and shower. However, we did manage to get a good deal and would definitely stay here again (as long as we could get the same sort of deal).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear DieselJems,

Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us from the efficient check-in process to your accommodations. I’m also pleased you found our location to be most convenient. I hope we will be your hotel of choice on your next visit to NYC!

Best,
Lauren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

This is my second trip to the hotel, I was here in August of 2011 and now again in June 2012. The remodeling is now fully complete, and there has been time for dust to settle around the edges of the carpet in the room and mold to form on the shower curtain. When I was here a year ago, I had a nice size room with a large bath and double sinks. This time when traveling with my wife and 2 adult sons, I got a small room with a really small bathroom. One thing that puzzled me is why housekeeping left towels for 3 in the room each day when there were four of us in the room. They were quick though to cheerfully deliver more towels when requested.Front desk staff was friendly and accomodating, as well as the bell hops. Location is adjacent to Grand Central Station, so subway acccess is easy. Many attractions are a less than a 20 minute walk from hotel. I would definately return for a third time, but just request a larger room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Scarborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

I received a good deal online for one night. I checked in in the evening and then headed out for a night on the town. Staff was very friendly and I was able to swiftly check-in and deposit my luggage in the room. I returned around 3:30 am and wanted to use the bathroom. To my dismay, I noticed, that the toilet was completely dirty...after further inspecting the room, I discovered that there were plenty of areas, where it seemed that the room hasn't been cleaned at all. I contacted front desk and asked for the manager. He showed up in less than 5 min and acknowledged the issues and was very apologetic. He swiftly called for housekeeping and offered me complimentary internet. He was going to offer me a different room but as the hotel was fully booked out, the only other available room was a smoking room, therefore I declined. Rita, the housekeeper came in no time and took care of the main issue in the bathroom. She was also very friendly and apologetic (even though it wasn't her fault to begin with). All in all, slip ups can happen and I'm positively impressed by the swift action the hotel took to make my stay comfortable. Also, the room was very modern and the lobby impressive. I will definitely return to the Grand Hyatt whenever I'm in town again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gone_aforeign
Albury, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

You can't ask for a better location! Times Square is a 10 minute walk, Grand Central Station is literally 2 minutes from your room door and Central Park is a nice 15-20 minute away! Plus you can get anywhere using the trains and subway system from next to the hotel if you don't want to walk!

Hotel was modern, clean and well presented. Upon checking in, they took my partner and I to a private check in room to explain the hotel and check in process to us. They wanted to charge me $100 a night to my credit card as bond in case of damages but after reviewing comments on here and YELP I got them down to $50 a night! I requested a room on a high floor and I got what I asked for and more! Room on the 31st floor with an amazing view over grand central station plus at night, I could see the reflection of the Empire State Building in the high rise in front however don't expect the world from your hotel room - it's a room, with a bed, tv and bathroom. That's all I was looking for as I was planning to be out exploring whenever I could. I was extremely disappointed there was no free wi-fi after every other hotel and resort I had stayed at on my holiday offered free wi-fi! (It's $12.95 for 24 hours). Check out was easy - there's self serve check out kiosks in reception to avoid lining up.

I have to say, for cleanliness and location I would definitely stay here again, hopefully management looks at walking into 2012 and offers free internet like everyone else!

Room Tip: When checking in - don't get caught by the hotel freezing $100 a night on your credit card as a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jedi1984
Dear Jedi1984,

I am very pleased you had an enjoyable stay at Grand Hyatt New York! The hotel is located in a prime area in order to get around all of Manhattan; I’m glad you were able to take advantage of this. I’m also glad you liked your accommodations and especially the view from your guest room. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Best,
Lauren
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

The main reason why I booked this hotel was its location and it certainly did not disappoint! You can't go wrong being literally next door to Grand Central and only 10-15 minutes away from all major attractions, not to mention the great food choices that won't break the bank found nearby on 3rd Ave. Try the Libretto Pizzeria on 3rd and you'll love the food as well as the homemade NY favorites- cannoli and tiramisu were the best I had! Just a side note. Anyhow, the hotel room itself was nothing special- room was very small but the bathroom I found designed for a little child and not for adults so this was the worst thing about the room. However, I knew going in that Manhattan hotels had tiny rooms so I wasn't expecting anything. Keep in mind that there is no way more than two people could be comfortable in one room so get two rooms if you are three or more in number. Hotel staff were friendly and attentive to all my questions and issues with the room. TV reception is horrible and I complained about it but was told nothing can be done- I assumed all the tall buildings cause reception problems so it didnt bother me much- was out all day anyways. I didn't appreciate all the nickel and diming they did with the costly WiFi charges, charges for using the hotel phone for toll free and even local charges, or the final surprising charge that I'd never encountered before which was for luggage storage upon check out. They charge per piece of luggage which I didn't appreciate. But I figured that this is NY so was expecting to be ripped off here and there. Overall, this was an excellent first time visit to NYC and we had a great time. Can't wait to go back again and will definitely stay at the Hyatt each time I visit because again, it's location can't be beat by any other major NYC hotel in the area. All of Manhattan was right outside my doorstep and I loved it!!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Persepolis72
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

Good :
Location,cleanliness ,staff, modern lobby and rooms
Room for improvement: No coffee or tea setup in room(but they do give you tickets for free coffee, tea, or water, at their coffee shop). No free Internet, you must pay $ 12.95 for 24 hour access. Hyatt acts like a nickel and dime cheapskate with Internet. If you are on a leisure trip without corporate write offs this fee can add up.
p.s. We found a fantastic Italian restaurant nearby on this trip ,with authentic Italian cooking , called Via Italia. One of the highlights of our vacation .

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

The location of the hotel couldn't have been better. Right at the heart of the midtown Manhattan and with Grand Central station quite literally next door, it was ideal for our first visit to NY. Whenever we were out and wanted to return back to the hotel, we just headed for the nearest subway to Grand Central or bus to 42nd Street.

Our room had been refurbished and was very comfortable - the bed is one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have slept in. The room had a clean and modern bathroom, with an effective shower. The main bedroom area had a large plasma screen TV. Only analogue channels were accessible without paying, but this was fine as we generally just needed it for local news and weather. Also in the room was a large wardrobe with sliding doors, which contained a small, attached safe, ideal for securing possessions while we were out.

I have read the various comments about the price of the food and drinks in the hotel. I agree that they are outrageous, but all I can say is more fool them for paying those prices when they are clearly advertised and they have the whole of Manhattan, with its thousand of restaurants. diners, bars and deli's right outside. The charge for Internet access was also irritating and one we avoided - lots of public places, such as Starbucks, have free access. For online check-in for return flights, there is a PC and printer in the lobby which guests can use free of charge.

Most days we were out all day from early morning til late evening and the hotel was primarily for showering and sleeping. For breakfast we typically walked a couple of hundred yards along 42nd street, grabbed breakfast from 'Pret a Manger' or one of the local diners and ate it in the very pleasant surroundings of Bryant park, which was directly opposite. (Bryant Park is one of NY's hidden gems and a great place to spend a warm evening with a cold beer or glass of wine).

Overall, I enjoyed the stay and would happily return to this hotel, but would avoid purchasing any 'extras' from there.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple