“Centrally Placed Delight!”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #334 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I arrived at an un-earthly hour of 07:00 after my flight from São Paulo arrived at Newark at 05:15. I asked if I could check in and leave my bags with Concierge and was told yes (Check-in is for 16:00 on the day and check-out is at 11:00), but we don't have your room ready but we have another free if you'd care for it. Thanks I said, and went up to the room to shower and change.
How many hotels would be so kind as this? Effectively, I got an extra half day at the place for free!
I was here to see New York and didn't want to stay in my room.
The room was a very nice size, clean with all the creature comforts that I needed and was on the 25th floor, overlooking Lexington Avenue, in the shadow of The Chrysler Building.
Grand Central Terminal was below, what more could I want to explore the city.
I had a great two days in New York and got to see so much from base at the Grand Hyatt. It's position is so central that you can easily get anywhere from here, either on foot (my preferred mode of transport in New York) or by Subway/Bus/Cab.
I would recommend staying at the Grand Hyatt without any hesitation, it has all that you need for a great stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Dear OldVillain,

We are so delighted to hear you had a great stay at Grand Hyatt New York while in town! We look forward to welcoming you back in your future travels to NYC.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,118)

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt New York from Sept. 29 through Oct.4. We booked it because they offered a very economic price through their website (not pre-paid) but totally flexible with option to 24-hour cancellation notice with no penalty. The check-in was quick.
The room was nice, roomy, and very quiet, although not well cleaned. It had a flat TV, mini bar, and a king-size super comfortable bed.
We did not use the restaurant or the other facilities, but did use -for one time only- the Market (which is in the lobby level) where you can buy either a bottle of water or a big hot sandwich and some coffee, but of course, this was much more expensive than eating outside the hotel..
One of the best things of this hotel, is the unbeatable location! Given the price we paid, we could not ask for a better location. It is just on the 42nd St., with the Grand Central Terminal on the next door, and walking distance to places such as Time Square, Empire State Building, 5th Avenue, the United Nations and more.. In order to move to other attractions, you simply take the metro at Grand central.
Unfortunately, unlike other hotel brands, this hotel doesn't offer anything complimentary, as far as I could see. The wi-fi (surcharge only), no newspaper, not even a bottle of water upon arrival! even more, if you need to store your luggage after check-out, you will be charged USD 2 per bag. Given that this is not a budget hotel, one would expect a better service, such as friendly staff (which I did not find) and some complimentary services, which I think it's not that expensive for the hotel to provide, but are of great value and appreciated by the guests. A complimentary newspaper and a cup of coffee in the morning is all that one can need to start the day. Overall, if you don't need complimentary services and don't mind to pay separately for these, but need a quiet room in a well-located hotel in Manhattan, the Grand Hyatt is for you.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hyatt-after reading reviews was concerned-however I did not find the room small nor did I find it dirty-My room was spacious and clean..and the bed was very nice-
Is it a 400$ a night hotel room?? Yes, its NYC...and its about convienence as well...and it cannot be beat for this..subway is 4 min away on Grand Central. Check in was a breeze -check out not so much but handled properly-all staff very friendly-Elevators fast-lobby very nice. Bellman awesome and housekkeeping was nice as well. If your looking for a nice hotel in a great location and know its NYC so get your wallet out..you wont be disappointed.......Again the location is great!!! I was on the subway on 59th at 4;15 train was stalled for 5 minutes-and I was in a Hyatt car on my way to airport at 4:25-thanks to location and bellman!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Stay at this hotel for the location. You can get into Grand Central Station without even going outside. Centrally located so you can get uptown or downtown easily. Within walking distance of many attractions. After seeing reviews about the small bathrooms we were expecting the worst but it seemed adequate to us. The vanity was useless and I can't imagine how many things have fallen into the toilet that is situated directly under a shelf. But, our room was clean and for New York standards adequately sized with a small sofa and table. Staff was very friendly. Decor is not my taste - modern and trendy but probably appeals to many others.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2012

On the 3rd day of our stay (I paid for the room for my friends' stay in NYC), upon return in the afternoon, I discovered that a shopping bag full of stuff were missing. I called security immediately and a lady was sent to take down information. She called the same night and said the report was filed and so far they could not locate the bag. She promised to call back the 2nd day but did not. I went into the hotel to ask for a solution later, and a series of nightmares just began. The "original" report had the number of items wrong (I said 2A, 1D; the report said "1A, 2D" etc.); the security dept repeatedly refused to identify the staff that went into my room; the security refused to talk about what info they found out with their staff. And how about surveillance camera - there is no footage to go through?

I am not accusing anyone of misappropriation, my basic logic was: if the stuff were removed accidentally, since when staff could judge "what are personal belongs of guests, what are not". It is an individual HOTEL ROOM, anyone other than the guests SHOULD TOUCH NOTHING except for removing trash!!! I wanted to find out who removed my stuff, while 2-day-old empty bottles were carefully NOT removed from the room.

The customer service was horrible.

I have stayed at many hotels around the world, and I understand the importance of watching out for your personal belongings - what annoyed me was not that the final compensation cannot fully recover my loss, but the hotel doesn't step out and say: we will use all the resources to find out who removed your belongings and we will apologize properly for the inconvenience.

This is a big lesson for me; I hope it can be help to you too.

Room Tip: I don't have any tips as I will discourage people from staying there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jingjing S
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Dear songjingjing915,

Thank You for your posting. Security is paramount with our hotel and is taken very seriously. Our Director of Security has attempted on numerous occasions to speak with you and you have not responded. At your earliest convenience please connect with him so we may come to a resolution.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

I've stayed here twice in the last few months. The first time, we were given a lovely modern room- and were pleased with the fitness room and snack bar downstairs offering breakfast or late night treats. The second stay, I was told the King room I reserved was not available and "upgraded" to a noisy room across from the elevators. When I complained, I was given a key to a room that was already occupied surprising two of us. When the manager was alerted I was finally shown to the original King room I had requested. I will say the management did seem to care about the sketchy service and made things right.

Room Tip: Avoid the "upgraded" rooms across from the elevators if noise is an issue.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in early October 2012. I was on a business trip and highly dependent on my computer to operate in the hotel. When I tried to get connected it would not work; I was connected by the hotel operator to a service in Guatamala City - and was on the phone with a young man for 2 1/2 hours while he tried different things to make it work - explaining in the course of it that the servers in the hotel had a weak signal in some rooms and maybe I should change my room. I finally gave up and went to bed; the next morning I was able to connect by disabling virus protection - a very unsatisfactory resolution that he never even suggested.

Aside from that the room was clean and pleasant - but without good computer service, it is a real problem for a business traveler. I rate the service and facilities as excellent except for this problem - but this problem was really important to me and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank pico1

Dear pico1,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. I’m glad you enjoyed your accommodation but sincerely apologize about the inconvenience regarding the WiFi service. I understand what a nuisance that can be, especially relying heavily on it for business. I can assure you this will not be the case if you choose to stay with us again. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us so we can make sure your next stay is perfect.