“Awesome Stay at the Grand Hyatt”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #320 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“Awesome Stay at the Grand Hyatt”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

There's really no need to go into great detail with this review:
We stayed on the 27th floor, I've never been so high before in a building, but that is just New York for you....
Easy to find - right next door to Grand Central Station - superb location and transport links.

Hotel is exactly what you should expect of a high-class hotel - warm and welcoming reception - beautifully decorated - good access to all floors - superb double room with en-suite - very comfy beds and great maid services.

The little shop in the lobby was very convienient as by the time we arrived it was around 11pm and was able to get hot food and cold drinks.

Ate in the restaurant once for breakfast - great buffet breakfast although $40 was somewhat pricey, but I did make the most of it!!

A cracking little breakfast restaurant across the road, under the birdge, served brillaint food and a very fair price!!

In summary, a great hotel, in an awesome location - very helpful staff and comfy warm rooms!

Good job Hyatt - when I come back, I'll be staying with you again!!

I miss NY!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

When you arrive, the building is really impressive and the lobby too. Good, fast and efficient check, and since I arrived from Brussels at 3:30PM got my room immediately. So far so good.....however

- The air extractor on the toilette is all the time on....no chance to turn it off, meaning that in the silence of the night, a was able to hear a permanent buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in the room which drove me crazy.
- The hotel was crowded with hundreds of teens (mainly from Italy I guess) on a school conference, or something similar. One of the nights, seems that they were returning from a party, and were shouting and screaming like crazy on the corridor of the 25th floor. Needeless to say that they woke me up, and given my jet-lag, was not able to sleep again.
- Anyway, the worst on this, was that the next day, they surely found funny to pick up the phone and call rooms (randomly choosed) and wake up guests. I got a series of calls between 1:30 and 1:50AM. After the third call asking for "Piero" y screamed the young boy so loud that I guess he was scared and decided to bother somebody else. I said I was able to see from what room he was calling from.
- Tipping, tipping and tipping.......even though I travel to the US very frequently and have been there dozens of times, I will never get used to the tipping culture there. I hate it. Tipping people to make their jobs is a stupid thing, and I simply can not mentally accept it. Tippping for an extra service, for running the extra mile, for doing something different is ok. I stayed 4 nights, and after the second one, withtout soap and shampoo being replaced in the bathroom I decided to "make the experiment", leave a couple of dollars and zas !!!!!!!! as a kind of magic, when I returned from business meetings I had new soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc, etc. Hotel management should prohibit this practice. I don´t find one single reason to tip a cleaning lady at a 5 star hotel to replace soap and shampoo......unfortunately this is usual in the US.
- I´m a very frequent business traveller, used to stay in 5-star hotels, and therefore also used to have at least a coffee machine in the room......but unfortunately not at the Hyatt.

All in all, I think the hotel profits from the great location and powerful brandname, but should make some adjustements to better take care of business travellers.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We have never stayed in a New York hotel because we have family in Queens and Long Island. Our son in law travels frequently to NY on business. He was surpised when we said that we never stay overnight in the city. So in January, he took his family and my husband and I and booked us into the Grand Hyatt right on 42nd street and Park Ave for 4 days. Couldn't believe the feeling you get staying right in the middle of everything. Since my family is from NY, I thought I'd seen everything, but I was wrong. I had never been to Grand Central Terminal in all my 61 years. All I can say is that it is GRAND. You enter right from the Hyatt without going outside and since it was January and cold, we loved it. The room was nice. Not real big, but you pay for the location. Lots of amenities. I will tell you, that my husband and I could not handle the price, we were lucky that it was a gift from our son in law and daughter. If we were going into the city for a night on the town, this is where we'd want to stay. We could treat ourselves for ONE night.

Room Tip: Try for a room on one of the top levels, the views are much better from up high.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Valerie1950
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I took my daughter to New York for her 30th, and after much deliberation decided to stay at the Gand Hyatt. We were not disappointed - impressive lobby, ever helpful staff beautiful twin room on the 34th floor. Two double beds, walkin wardrobe, very clean with an amazing view. The market shop in the lobby was perfect for when you are popping in and out to get exceptional coffee or snacks. We were especially impressed with the concierge service who located and booked wonderful restaurants for us each evening. The location at Grand Central Station gives perfect access to all the attractions you could wish to cram in for a long weekend.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lorraine K
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

The hotel looks fine and the rooms are actually quite lovely, but stuff doesn't work! Two night trip: the first night my heat was broken (full blast; 94 degrees when I "woke up,"). To compensate, the hotel fixed the heat and gave me a $50 credit to the restaurant for dinner. Unfortunately $50 was not nearly enough at a sub-par, overpriced dinner that ended up costing me a lot more than if I had gone elsewhere, so ultimately made the whole thing worse. The second night I received 2 unsolicited wake up calls - at 5:30am. Just late enough that you can't quite get back to sleep.

Oh, and if you want to go down in the elevator you have to go up first because capacity is so constrained.

I was very, very disappointed with this hotel. It appeared to be very busy with high school kids from international locations (model UN?), so perhaps management was preoccupied, but it seems that they should be able to handle this kind of thing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Elizabeth P
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We loved this hotel. We've been to New York many times and this was our first stay here. We were travelling with our children. It is located literally right next to Grand Central Station. So walking to all the midtown attractions was very easy. The staff was excellent with everything. Every staff member we encountered was very friendly and helpful. They put us in a room over looking the Chrysler Building, which was fun to look at at night. We were travelling with our two children, so had two Queen sized beds. Our room size was pretty good for NYC. The room, bathroom and lobby were all very clean.
We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Huge convention-type hotel but recent remodel makes it very attractive, especially the lobby & as 3/1/13 SMOKE-FREE hotel. Rooms can vary in size due to historic nature of hotel but on the whole, very nice. Junior suites are very spacious but bathrooms tend to be on the small size. Did not hear much exterior noise at all, which in NYC is quite the feat! Lots of elevators so usually not much waiting & while there, hotel was sold out. Loved the club lounge (open 24/7); has nice outdoor area open spring/summer/fall & if your elite status does not gain you entry, worth the extra price! Good food, good beverage selection & wine/alcohol prices were reasonable given that it is NYC. Several decent restaurants to choose from & the small market offf the lobby is actually very good & has take-away food.
We had 2 Jr. Suites booked but as one was on the smoking floor, changed it to king deluxe on the club floor as no other suites available, which was ok but not what we booked. My Jr Suite has a closet so narrow, the hangers hit the sliding doors constantly. Bathroom was very small & had no counter space at all. Rooms were decorated very nicely & beds were super comfortable.

Pros: fantastic club lounge, good service, nice rooms, & great location for both business & touring
Cons: small bathrooms with no counter space

Room Tip: Club floor room is worth the extra cost
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends