“Superb Hotel, Perfect Location”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #322 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Superb Hotel, Perfect Location”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This was the perfect place for my wife and me to stay when we were in New York recently, celebrating our first anniversary. We got in late on a Friday evening but still were able to get something to eat for a late dinner. The hotel is right nextdoor to Grand Central Station, with easy access to the subway system. It was a short cab ride away from the Broadway show we had come to attend. And the cost was reasonable, considering that it was, after all, in the heart of Manhattan.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor for the best view.
2 Thank CharlesGies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Overall this is a nice hotel in a great location. However aside from being greeted when reaching the top of the escalators which was nice in a large lobby the other times i encountered service needs the results were less than stellar.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed 26 March 2013

i was there for 5 days. friendly and helping staff. All your needs at your door step. terrific location near the grand central and close from the common hangout in the city. Good breakfast and clean locations. Though the reception is kinda inefficient, but the overall experience is really good. Good quality crowd is present. Truly, one of the best Hyatt's i've been to.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed here for one night with family. The location can't be beat, 15 minute walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center and many popular attractions. The public area seemed like more of a bus station than a lobby but I guess that is to be expected in such a busy area. Rooms were modern and nicely decorated and actually spacious for NYC. Walk in closet too. Bathroom was on the small side and there was a shelf directly over the sink so it was difficult to wash your face without hitting your forehead on the shelf. Concierge was helpful in recommending a brunch spot and actually walked us out the door and pointed us in the correct direction. Overall, a great landing point for visiting NYC.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Just got back from a two night stay here at the Grand Hyatt. I have to say it really can't be beat. I got a great rate on the Hyatt web site. The hotel is in a terrific location with an entrance right from inside Grand Central. As soon as you walk in there are greeters who show you to a person to check you in. On a very busy Friday afternoon there was no wait to check in. Our room was spacious and clean with some very cool touches. There is a great little market in the lobby with all the conveniences that you may need. My only criticism is the sevice at the bar on Saturday night was lousy. Walked in and the hostess was having a very long conversation with a waiter and never looked up while we were trying to figure out where to sit. The bar was crowded so I asked her if we could sit behind the bar where there were some tables and a few people. She said yes and then told me who our server would be. We were sitting there for another 2o minutes and the server never came. We gave up feeling ignored. While my husband went to the little market to get a smal bottle of wine to take to our room, I went to the front desk to complain about the treatment in the bar. The lovely young lady at the front desk was wonderful. SHe not only remembered checking up in the day before but apologized profusely. She could not have been nicer.
Truly all in all a great experience at the Hyatt. WE'll be back for sure!

Toronto
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This was by far the best hotel experience I've ever had... and I'm not exaggerating!
My boyfriend and I booked with the Grand Hyatt for a romantic weekend getaway to one of our favourite places in the world -- NYC. Neither one of us had stayed at the Grand Hyatt before, but the reviews were pretty good and there were no known cases of bed bugs, so that was good enough for me. What I didn't know was that my boyfriend had been on the phone with the hotel, trying to secretly plan our engagement.
Here are the pros:
- AMAZING staff all around!!! Friendly, kind, generous, accommodating and wonderful! These people went above and beyond to ensure their guests were happy and well taken care of. I travel a lot and I've NEVER encountered such impeccable service.
- Clean!! On previous trips to NYC, I've had a few negative experiences with hotel cleanliness. This hotel was clearly not one of them.
- Large rooms for NYC and a great view (we stayed in room 3123)... thanks to Crystal and Rosa
- Perfect location (connected to Grand Central Station, minutes away from Times Square, Saks Fifth Avenue, Central Park, great restaurants and cafes, etc.).
- Restaurant in the hotel was does an amazing brunch/breakfast!
- There is a 24 hour market inside the hotel where you can purchase pretty much anything to eat or drink.
- The concierge and front desk staff are very well informed and very willing to help you find whatever it is you are looking for. They recommended the most wonderful restaurant - 11 Madison Park, for our engagement dinner - Truly the best dining experience we've ever had!

Cons:
- Washrooms are a bit tight, but then again, it's NYC.
- No shower caps in the washrooms
(I'm actually looking for cons here, so you will know that I'm trying to be as unbiased a reviewer as possible... but it's hard!)

If you want the long version of the above, see below.

When we arrived, we were met by Crystal at the front desk. Although it was early, they had big smiles on their faces and gave us a very warm welcome. We knew that our room wouldn't be ready yet, as we had a very early morning flight into NYC, but when we arrived, we were pretty exhausted and I was starving. While getting checked in, we engaged in the usual small talk with Crystal and I mentioned somewhere along the way that I was starving. Crystal genuinely seemed concerned that we have a wonderful stay and took it upon herself to make sure of it.
At the conclusion of our check in, she handed us two complementary breakfast tickets to redeem at the hotel restaurant, which was excellent, as well as free beverage vouchers that carried us over 4 days. She also mentioned that she had upgraded our room as an apology to us for not having a room ready upon our arrival. We never asked for anything and we expected that we would need to wait, but Crystal understood that we were a bit stranded, hungry and tired from our flight and went above and beyond to ensure that, although we didn't have a room, we were as comfortable as possible while we waited.
The next wonderful person we met was Vic. I met Vic at the elevator. He was on his way up and noticed that I looked lost. He asked me if he could be of assistance, and I asked where the ladies room was. He let his elevator pass and walked me around the corner to personally show me where the washroom was. It was very observant of him to notice that I was lost and then go out of his way to show me where I needed to go.
Later in the morning, we came back to see if our room was ready, and we met Rosa at the front desk this time. Once again, such a happy, welcoming greeting. She told us that she would contact housekeeping to put a rush on our room, so we could be in it within the hour. We were so tired, that we decided to wait in the lobby this time. 45 minutes later, Rosa came looking for us personally, to let us know the room we initially had reserved was further delayed. As an apology for making us wait further, she upgraded our room again and mentioned that it would be worth the wait. She also mentioned that she'd be sending up a bottle of wine and sweet treats to our room at the end of the evening.
When we finally got into our room, we were truly happy we waited. We had two big bright windows, a corner view of the city, a large sitting area and a huge walk-in closet. I couldn't believe that this size of a room even existed in NYC.
Crystal and Rosa went above and beyond to ensure our stay was more than what we expected. We thoroughly enjoyed our wine and chocolate covered strawberries at the end of our evening too!
We had the perfect engagement weekend and we wanted to thank all the staff at the Grand Hyatt for making it such a memorable and cherished experience!

We will be back!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room on a high floor.
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for one night at the end of my trip around the USA. For an upper market hotel I have experienced exceedingly better customer service. I stood at the check in desk for almost 25 minutes before the staff member bothered to serve me. No one offered to help me familarise myself with the area or welcome me to the hotel/city. A month after I returned home to Australia the hotel still hadn't released by pre-authorisation fee and they refused to manually release it and caused a great deal of trouble for my bank. Won't be returning...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends