“business trip”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #324 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I used the Hyatt mainly for a business trip but I had the opportunity for a day to do some sightseeing. The hotel is centrally located and provides easy access to a lot of the main attractions. I used the metro for the 9/11 memorial and Statue of Liberty, otherwise the usual Empire State, Chrysler, Grand Central, Bloomingdale's, Times Sq are all within walking distance. As for the hotel it is clean has good WiFi and I was offered a room high up to avoid the noisy street sounds. It includes a shop where you can purchase drinks and snacks if you prefer. Being New York there are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby if you prefer them to hotel food.

Room Tip: To avoid the noise ask for a room higher up
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt New York

Reviewed 14 January 2014

After waiting for a year to go on holiday to new york i booked the Grand hyatt hotel because of such a good reputation that the company has. The time we spent in new york was amazing but the hotel let us down a alot.
Firstly i will start with the good points:
1. The hotel location is very good you can get to times square , 5th avenue etc all in short walking distance.
2. The room had a nice view and was also across the road from the Chrysler building.
3. Good sized room and was very modern.

The bad points:
1. The fact that when i arrived at the hotel the receptionist asked for a credit card for authorisation ( no mention they was going to take money out of my account for me to check my credit card the next to find out that the hotel had took $600 out my account. I am absolutely disgusted at the fact they didn't even have the decency to tell me as this left me with very minimal cash for the week.
2. The rooms cleanliness was way below standards especially as they are supposed to be such top end hotel. The room was covered in layers of dust and there were half eaten chocolate bars and wrappers by the sides of the beds. After complaining 3 times to reception they finally decided to do something about it and even then they didn't do a good job of it.
3.Hotel was very very rude after me questioning why they had took $600 out my account without telling me. I was disappointed with this as he shown no interest in the matter.

There was a lovely receptionist called Marie who asked us about our stay when checking out and we told her about it and she offered us a free nights stay and also gave us her apologies which was very nice of her.
I will most likely visit New York again but i can sure say i won't be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jessica K
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The hotel is in a good area. The reception is modern & quite a local hub. The rooms are nice, although I had an interconnecting room, & it's possible to hear conversations in the next room, as the doors must be made of plywood. So ask for a non connecting room. The restaurant beside the lobby bar is poor. I waited 45 min for my meal, that I refused to pay for because of the delay. 2 blocks alway is the smaller Westin Grand Central, that has a really nice bar with good service & far quieter rooms. So walk a few blocks and stay there if I was you.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Justin E
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt New York for 7 nights for a birthday treat. The hotel rooms are modern and clean (although there were clothing tags on the shelf in our closet which must have been from previous guests), but there is a real lack of attention to detail. For example, I specifically noted on the booking that I was allergic to feathers, so couldn't have a feather duvet or pillows, I then phoned on the day we were arriving to confirm there would be no feathers but when we got to the room all the pillows were feather, they did change them, but we had to wait ages for someone to come and change them before we could go to sleep, which was exactly what I was trying to avoid! Then our room was right beside the ice machine which made a terrible noise all night, we complained about it 3 times before anyone did anything (although each time the staff insisted they would send someone to look at it, because I assumed it must be broken, no one ever came). On the third occasion they moved our room although it was 11pm on day 2 by that time! Our new room was much better and quieter. Another example is that they don't routinely put coffee makers in the rooms, and although you can get one if you specifically request it they don't replenish the coffee or cups until you specifically request them with an app they have in the hotel.

I had an uneasy feeling that they were trying to squeeze every last penny out of you during your stay (they have a coffee shop rather then coffee in your room, the internet is more than $12 per day (although free, and painfully slow, in the lobby), there is a mandatory $3 charge per bag to leave your luggage on the last day, if you want to borrow a corkscrew it cost $6...), which I think is a bit unreasonable given that it's not a budget hotel.

They also dont allow you to collect your Hyatt passport points or use any of the perks of the passport if you book through a third party like expedia, which seems a little odd given that all the airlines let you collect miles irrespective of how you booked.

Overall it's OK but if you're looking for something special I think you can get somewhere better for the price. I think it's fair to say i was disappointed with the 'Grand Hyatt experience', and I would pick somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machines!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aji80
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Grand Hyatt New York is perfectly located if you want to walk to many of the main attractions and situated across from the station. The concierge were extremely helpful. Before the trip i emailed them and received great information and suggestions and when we were at the hotel they helped book and plan trips.

It is a shame the room was shocking and the service in resolving the issues a disappointment. The first two nights I had severe bites on my arms and neck. I raised it with the manager who said they would call the exterminators they use to check the room. In the meantime I found the insect myself. It looked like a bedbug but I never heard from the hotel to say what it was. We were moved to another room and recevied a voicemail to say our previous room was checked and there were no insects.

The lighting in the room was also not working properly. When I called maintenance I was informed that all lighting in all rooms worked the same. So no reading/night light. When we moved rooms imagine my suprise when the lights worked as expected.

For a hotel of this standard is it worth the extra money? Something you need to ask before booking.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicola M
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Grand Hyatt is a modern and contemporary hotel. The rooms are very clean and spacious. Staff were friendly and attentive. This hotel is located right next to Grand Central. which allows you to get around New York very easily.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

The Grand Hyatt is exactly what you'd expect. The rooms are a good size and clean. The location can't be beat. You're literally in Grand Central. If you're walking, well you're close to everything.

Again, the rooms are fine. The hotel staff is well versed if you need them. It's a little pricey for what you get,, but then again it is a NYC hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends