“Great Midtown Location”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #333 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This hotel has a great location. Easy to walk to Times Square, 5th Avenue, and Bryant Park. Also, the Flatiron District and Soho are a slightly longer walk but doable. Since there is a hallway that connects Grand Central and the Grand Hyatt you have quick and easy access to some great New York food staples such as Magnolia's Bakery and the Shake Shack. The hotel staff was great and let us check in extremely early as we were there for an on-site conference. Overall, the hotel was clean although there was some wear and tear in our hotel room but we have definitely seen a lot worse for pricier hotel rooms (plus this is New York and the amount of foot and room traffic is obviously high). I note that they were doing repairs on our floor during our stay so the hotel tries to keep up with repairs. Great, great gym - one of the best I have ever seen in a hotel. I usually stay with friends when I visit the city but will say that for New York the size of the hotel room was not bad, at all, for the price. Stay at the W if you want a large room but it will come at a price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kreynolz
Write a ReviewReviews (9,118)

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Visited New York for one night stay and had a great check in experience at this hotel. The room has been renovated recently. It is cozy but not too bad in New York standard. The only thing "missed" is the coffee maker in the room. Hotel is connected to the Grand Central station and in a great central midtown location. Will stay again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed for a long weekend in January 2014 and found it perfect for what we needed, I cant really see what other people are complaining about.

The room we had was a good enough size, it wasn't huge but for the price we paid i wasn't expecting it to be and it was definitely big enough for us. Who goes to New York and spends their time sat in the room anyway? It was just a place for us to change, shower and sleep. The beds where very comfortable, the room was nicely decorated and maintained, everything was clean and the location was perfect, right next to Grand Central Station. What more do you need?
Only slight negative to the room was that their wasn't a lot of storage space, we had a room with two double beds in it that could have been shared by 4 people and one closet and 3 draws would not have been near enough room to unpack your things into.

We ate at the restaurant in the hotel once and the food was pretty good, definitely couldn't complain about the standard but if you do eat there be warned that they add the tip straight onto your bill and dont tell you so you can end up paying gratuity twice if your not careful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt on a business trip just before Christmas. Had I been staying for the purposes of touring New York I would have been gravely disappointed. There was no warmth to the place- I was there a week before Christmas and no effort had been made to decorate the common areas. The hotel was like this whole other world compared to the spirit of the city outside, it was so clinical. The staff were efficient at what they do but not in the slightest bit friendly or interested, almost robotic. My room was not what I would expect of a four star hotel, it was beyond standard, I had to request a coffee maker from house keeping which they provided no problem. I ate breakfast in the bar on one occasion, it was overpriced and underwhelming. The food from the deli counter/shop in the hotel was actually better quality. The location of the hotel is honestly about the only positive selling point. It was ideal for where I was working, and it was also ideal for getting around the city in general.

Room Tip: My room had a door for an adjoining room- you might want to avoid this if a female travelling on you...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AineACork
GuestExperienceGHNY, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Aine,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay here at Grand Hyatt New York. Whether you're in town for business or leisure, you can expect to receive genuine warmth and great service from our staff, which is why I am so surprised to hear words like "clinical" and "robotic." I hope you'll accept by sincerest apologies for what sounds like an uncharacteristic stay at our hotel. I invite you to contact me directly so that we can discuss your personal experience in greater detail.

Our ideal location is a start, but we have built our reputation on across-the-board excellence. I hope we can someday show you just how great a stay at Grand Hyatt New York can be.

Guest Experience Manager
christopher.doran@hyatt.com

Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Grand Hyatt is a nicely appointed hotel, with a cool and modern vibe. My room was spacious with an interesting lighting system that allows you to set the mode. The bar was small yet vibrant and the service was very attentive. Centrally located, the Grand Hyatt is very good choice for business travelers.

My one gripe was the (very high) cost of room service-- $40 for a burger and salad was a bit much... even on a business account.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I had stayed with a friend alongwith our family for a night in New York in May 2013.I had booked the hotel going by the name of Hyatt but was very disappointed as the amenities were not good.Also the hotel is very old and the carpets, door and other furniture were shouting loudly that WE WANT A CHANGE.The hotel was very pricey and the room was not worth the spend.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear ANANDBHANSALI,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Grand Hyatt New York earlier this year in January. I truly appreciate your feedback and have shared your experience with our management staff. I apologize i that we did not exceed your expectations which Hyatt is known for. We have gone through a renovation a few years ago and updated all the guest rooms and lobby. Should you travel plans bring you back to New York, please feel free to contact me directly at paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com to personally oversee your reservation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Paula Ilabaca
Marketing & Communications Manager

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend the Grand Hyatt in NYC. The customer service was excellent, the rooms are HUGE, and the location can't be beat!!! The room service has many options, especially for breakfast! I will forever stay at the Grand Hyatt in NYC because it's the best hotel in NYC for the right price!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013