“Perfect Location”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #324 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt 5 years ago and chose to stay again for this trip to New York. We thought the hotel was great last time but it has since been renovated with updated bedrooms and public areas. The lobby is stunning, still with the water feature but now some huge sculptured heads as well and new upholstery and lighting. We arrived early but it was no problem and we were offered our room immediately. We were all made members of the gold club without asking which gave us a free tea, coffee or water each day from the market place café and also free WI Fi which was a good saving. Staff are all extremely polite and friendly (as are all New Yorkers). We were on the 28th floor but there are so many high speed lifts you never have to wait long for a lift. Ideal location as you are in easy walking distance of Time Square, Empire State building, Maceys, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Centre and Central Park, not to mention the stunning Grand Central Station which is right next door.
Our only slight gripe was that the bathrooms have not been updated like the rooms and they are looking a bit tired and worn.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up a little less noisy but the hotel is centrally located so expect noise at all time
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank holidayaddict51
There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt New York

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great location, super friendly, clean rooms. Pershing Cafe great breakfast under the bridge. Grand Central next door. Solid hotel! Quick breakfast items in lobby. Saved me with a phone charger. Also housekeeping brought me a razor.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jca990
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have little to add to all of the other reviews. I guess in summary, all you need to know is that I would price it again when returning to NYC. Close to the bus stop for Newark. Lovely breakfast place across the road. Comfortable rooms and handy for all the Grand Central shops. Our room was near to the lift and a bit noisy at night, and the view wasn't great. In hindsight, I think I would have asked to be moved when we arrived but I was tired after our long journey. Large hotel, so difficult at some times to get service - we asked for a European plug adapter to be brought to our room and we must have waited an hour. However, the location beats it all. Major sights were walkable which makes such a difference in NYC - we could call back to the hotel during the day when out and about. Great shops, great sights.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have been Hyatt Diamond Members for many years. We have stayed all over the world at Hyatt’s and have quite a breath of experience with staying at their hotels. We are definitely Hyatt supporters. This was our fifth stay at this hotel (in the past has always been a pleasant stay) and our first visit since it has been renovated. Upon walking into the lobby we were struck by the changes. With the renovation, it is very modern and décor is artistic. With the dark hues and the new lighting it has a cool chic vibe. We were impressed.

After check in (which was smooth) we entered our room noting that all the guest rooms have been renovated as well and the new décor was nice. However, upon a closer look, we became concerned. The bathroom was extremely small. I can’t imagine how they even fit a sink, toilet and shower into such small space. The shower was another matter. The shower stall had been renovated, but the caulking was very moldy and it was unacceptable. This is not something we have encountered at Hyatt before. I posted a picture which speaks for itself. I went to the phone to call down to reception and again was taken back when I picked up the phone and it was sticky (jelly?) and obviously had not been cleaned. We usually put up with quite a few things before we complain, but there were too many concerns. When I called the front reception desk the staff member was polite and said she would send a bellman up with new keys and would change our room (phew!). I was pleased that she handled the problem, but after a very long day of delays at the airport, and arriving very tired, my husband and I were in no mood to sit and wait for 45 minutes before we finally had a bellman show up to change our rooms. Now with that said, the room they changed us to was a slight bit bigger and cleaner. However…what is with the bathrooms? Seriously, this one was cleaner, but it was so small that I could barely turn around. I know that having stayed here in the past, the rooms are configured differently, many shapes and sizes…but honestly I have never stayed in a tinier bathroom at any of the Hyatt’s. It was so comical that my husband and I just laughed (after a very long day). We were too tired from our day to do anything about it, so we just decided that after one move that we would stay. Having said all this, and trying not to sound so negative….the décor in the room was very nice.
One more issue with the room….I had to call and request robes, a coffee/tea maker, there was only one shampoo (no conditioner), no lotion. The iron in our room was broken. The person I called was abrupt and rude…they were probably thinking “high maintenance customer”, which I understand and really try to not be “that” customer. But honestly, when you pay this amount of money, you do expect a higher level of service and amenities in the room.

We went out to dinner one night and we couldn’t get a bellman to assist us with getting a cab (even when we tipped him generously). The bellmen all stood around talking and joking with each other and completely ignored the queue of customers standing there (who all were rather obvious about their annoyance and expressed it louder than we did). We finally just walked down a block to another corner and flagged our own cab.

I would like to point out some positives about this hotel: The Grand Club Lounge is indeed very nice and the changes/renovations to the lounge are wonderful. The lounge is very spacious and it too has the updated modern décor. There is plenty of space to relax and the food offerings were wonderful. There is a spacious patio area that will be a lovely place to relax when the weather is warmer. The lounge employees were polite and helpful. It was the best part of our stay. This may be the only reason my husband and I would book this hotel again. Kudo’s to the chef, and the employees working in the lounge.

We had planned to stay five nights, but obviously were not happy. We choose to switch on the third night to the Hyatt Andaz just a couple blocks away. This is a wonderful hotel. I would only recommend this Grand Hyatt if you needed to be right next door to Grand Central Station. They do have a wonderful Regency Lounge, and décor in the rooms and the lobby are lovely and tasteful. The problems mostly seem to lie with poor housekeeping and some rude staff members. Hopefully management will work to resolve these issues.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about the bathroom size. All rooms are configured differently.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Always5Star
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Dear Always5Star,

Thank you kindly for your feedback on Grand Hyatt New York during your stay in March Being a Diamond Member and having stayed at Hyatts worldwide, we really do value your input and appreciate your loyalty. Please accept our sincere apologies for the cleanliness and room configuration issues. We will make sure to review and address with our housekeeping team. The service you received is what we expect our staff to provide as we hold ourselves to a much higher standard. Those staff members will be coached and trained on service standards right away. I do hope you give us a second chance and stay with us on your next visit to NY. We hope to see you back soon!

Paula Ilabaca
Marketing & Communications Manager

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Great location and if you can, pay for the lounge access. Its well worth it and makes for a great stay. This is a large hotel so there is always something going on. Rooms are quiet enough but are better when you upgrade from the cheapest option (not surprising!).
I would stay here again as long as I could find an affordable price that includes lounge access. If not, explore other options unless you need to be in/around Grand Central.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2014

2 days at the "Grand" for work. Location is fine, but this is not a "grand" hotel. It's dark (both poorly lit and painted dark) and worn. Layers of paint, chipping paint in the room (and even the bathtub). Poor quality painting (on the lights, on the bathtub.) Fabrics are frayed. Scuff marks everywhere. "Water" stains on the bathroom door. Room was not clean (popcorn on the floor when I checked in. Several lights in the room were burned out. Mattress is old and saggy (think old vacation house mattress).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BigCJ65
GuestExperienceGHNY, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear BigCJ65,

Thank you for taking the time to share a few thoughts regarding your recent stay for business. We are very concerned by the numerous cleanliness and room-condition issues you’ve detailed here, as they do not reflect how we typically operate. In hopes of better understanding your experience, I encourage you to contact me at your earliest convenience. I am confident a return stay will reveal a far different Grand Hyatt—one more aligned with the sleek, sophisticated, and well-maintained hotel so many guests have come to love.

Guest Experience Manager
christopher.doran@hyatt.com

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed for 10 nights in April. Despite booking 6 months ahead and asking for a view of Crysler Building as the trip was for husband's 60th birthday, we did not get this view. Room on 27th floor was quiet and clean but furniture (apart from lovely bed) was very basic and scuffed. Not enough drawer space for clothes. No bathrobe or slippers. Good hairdryer. Bathroom was a decent size but room smaller than expected. Noisy aircon. We did not eat in the hotel as it was pretty expensive with little choice. Location of hotel was good. Room cleaning staff good, as were check-in staff. Concierge was always very busy so we didn't bother to use them. Not sure if we will use this hotel for our next stay in New York as it was pretty characterless and the reception area was more like an extension of Grand Central Station - it was so busy there was rarely anywhere to sit, and sometimes was used by conference delegates for meetings.

Room Tip: Rooms away from lifts (elevators) are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Bigsister,

Thank you for taking the time to review Grand Hyatt New York. I am thrilled that you chose to spend your vacation with us! I appreciate your kind words about our staff- we pride ourselves on the attentive team we have here. If you could email me at paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com with your name, I'd like to research the room to make sure the A/C has been fixed, the furniture has been tended to, and that we have the necessary amenities in the room. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Paula Ilabaca