Grand Hyatt New York
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
Dylan Hotel NYC(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Seton Hotel(New York City)
View Hotel
Pod 39 Hotel(New York City)
  • Room Service
9,461 results
All reviewsgrand central stationgreat locationnew yorkchrysler buildingclub leveltimes squarelarge hotelbusy hotelbryant parkking roomnyc hotelbig applefew blockslobbysubwayconferencemanhattan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We just returned from New York and the Grand Hyatt on Sunday. We found the hotel to be okay and rather expensive but without previous experience in NY I can't tell much about the prices.
The lobby is is very sleek but gave me the feel of a very posh train station, seeming very cold, with people permanently coming and going. The staf was very nice, on our very short interactions. Our room was actually big, compared to my expections and other reviews. We were in a corner on the 15th floor (I was actually surprised by how fast the elevators reached the floor, literally the blink of an eye). We had a king bed, sufficient for us and our 3 year-old, with a sitting area next to the TV, an empty mini-bar, some drawers under the TV, one nightstand and a walk-in closet. Bathroom is tiny compared to the room, the sink as well and I bumped my head several times on he mirror shelf when washing my face or teeth. Toiletries provided, including tooth paste.
I have to agree with the previous review on lighting system, a bit frustrating at times. The most annoying issue though was the windows which were not properly isolated and it was very drafty around them. I had no issues with the view (of the next building) because we were mostly out and also had the blinds down most of the time, for privacy and in an attempt to ward off the draft.
The main selling point of the hotel is the location, though, right on top the Grand Central Terminal, where you can find a lot of options for food and also a few shops. There is the Grand Central Market, but prices are a bit on the high side, though not as high as the hotel Market. The hotel is about 3-4 blocks from 5th Avenue and a few more from a big Macy's (that had a lot of discounts at the time) and many more shops. Lots of dining options in the area on a short walk. You can also walk to Central Park, about 17 blocks away, on 5th Avenue if you want to look at shops, on 7th or Broadway for Times Square, not far away, or Park Avenue, to see where the wealthier people live.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cristina B
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My family stayed here for a weekend in the city. Since we were coming via train, the Grand Hyatt seemed very convenient as it is attached to Grand Central Terminal. We arrived super early so of course our room was not ready. We were able to check our bags for free and given an $8.00 credit for their lobby market, not even close to cover one sandwich and a one iced tea. We went sight seeing, arrived back approximately 3:00 p.m. and were able to very quickly get into our room. I highly recommend reading through these reviews as they are spot on in regard to room location. Don't use web check-in if you want a specific side of the building. Ask what your windows face. Ask not to be next to the ice machine or elevators. Our room, a double, was oddly laid out - and really lacked both drawer space and table space. There were quite seriously two small drawers for clothing. The "work table" was too tiny for anyone to actually work on and was slanted (bent legs?). Also, apparently regular light switches are blasé, this room had touch panel switches except they did not respond that well. Also, your only choice to is "all lights" or "no lights", unless you turn all lights on, then manually go around and turn off the ones you don't want. Seems backwards. The refrigerator in the room is really just a small cooler, ours was not working, however, housekeeping brought a real mini-fridge within 15 minutes of calling the front desk. Due to the layout of the room, the fridge just sat on the floor next to the bed. The air vent in the wall was large and missing two screws, so it was half falling off the wall. I ignored it. The fan in the bathroom is apparently motion sensitive, so be prepared for it to click on and off at will. Yes, the bathroom is tiny, yes the "double" beds were tiny. It's New York so yes, everything was very, very expensive. Expect money to just fly unheeded out of your pocket. Being very familiar with the city, I was able to track down some less expensive alternatives for food and drink (if you want an omelette in your room, expect it to cost $25.00. If you go to the lobby bar, a gin and tonic will set you back $16.00, not including tip. Ouch.) Overall, there is really nothing special about this hotel once you leave the lobby. It's perfectly fine but nothing more. The biggest plus I would give it would be the location - I prefer to be away from the crazy wall-to-wall press of people near Times Square so this hotel was very good for that. The subway is right underneath, via GCT so if the weather if bad, that's also very convenient. At checkout, I used points for gift cards so that helped, otherwise the hotel is priced on the high side for what you're actually getting. One last odd quirk about the room - the hotel provided toothpaste, which I don't often see, however, there were no cups in the bathroom to rinse. The only cups were the two glasses included with the teeny tiny ice bucket, so expect only one person to be able to drink at a time.

Room Tip: Read and heed these reviews.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ayla912
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Dear ayla912,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Grand Hyatt New York in April. I was happy to read your comments about our beautiful lobby and location. We definitely are centrally located hotel with easy access to get around the city quickly and efficiently. I am sorry to hear that some of the amenities in your room were not in working order. We have addresses the issues with our engineering team to correct these inefficiencies. We hope to have you stay with us again on your next visit to New York City!

Paula Ilabaca
Marketing and Communications Manger

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt 5 years ago and chose to stay again for this trip to New York. We thought the hotel was great last time but it has since been renovated with updated bedrooms and public areas. The lobby is stunning, still with the water feature but now some huge sculptured heads as well and new upholstery and lighting. We arrived early but it was no problem and we were offered our room immediately. We were all made members of the gold club without asking which gave us a free tea, coffee or water each day from the market place café and also free WI Fi which was a good saving. Staff are all extremely polite and friendly (as are all New Yorkers). We were on the 28th floor but there are so many high speed lifts you never have to wait long for a lift. Ideal location as you are in easy walking distance of Time Square, Empire State building, Maceys, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Centre and Central Park, not to mention the stunning Grand Central Station which is right next door.
Our only slight gripe was that the bathrooms have not been updated like the rooms and they are looking a bit tired and worn.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up a little less noisy but the hotel is centrally located so expect noise at all time
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank holidayaddict51
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great location, super friendly, clean rooms. Pershing Cafe great breakfast under the bridge. Grand Central next door. Solid hotel! Quick breakfast items in lobby. Saved me with a phone charger. Also housekeeping brought me a razor.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jca990
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have little to add to all of the other reviews. I guess in summary, all you need to know is that I would price it again when returning to NYC. Close to the bus stop for Newark. Lovely breakfast place across the road. Comfortable rooms and handy for all the Grand Central shops. Our room was near to the lift and a bit noisy at night, and the view wasn't great. In hindsight, I think I would have asked to be moved when we arrived but I was tired after our long journey. Large hotel, so difficult at some times to get service - we asked for a European plug adapter to be brought to our room and we must have waited an hour. However, the location beats it all. Major sights were walkable which makes such a difference in NYC - we could call back to the hotel during the day when out and about. Great shops, great sights.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family