“Great stay”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #327 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I was a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews about this hotel but we had a wonderful experience. The room with the King size bed was huge , particularly compared to the usual New York hotel room. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Cleanliness was not a problem and the bed was so comfortable we overslept. The location provides nice access to many city neighborhoods. Would stay again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here for a few days on business and it's a really good location to get to meetings quickly and easily. It is however very busy, 24/7 which makes it pretty noisy most of the time and means that check in and check out are pretty slow. The positive side of this is that as a woman on my own I always felt very safe, and the doormen deserve a special mention for making you feel very much looked after.

The staff intend to be helpful, but in a hotel of this size, there's only realistically so much they can do. Several things didn't work in the room - lights, power points etc, and whilst I asked for them to be fixed, they weren't. However, when I was asked on checkout if I was happy with everything, and mentioned this, they did provide a credit to the bill and offered to do so very graciously.

Very importantly, the room was spotless, which I thought was quite an achievement for a hotel this big.

I had lunch in the hotel once, which I wouldn't recommend as it was very slow, average quality, and not particularly good value, though the service was very friendly.

I also had cocktails at the hotel bar once, which were not great, and expensive, though again the service was really friendly.

On the flip side, I did have room service dinner one evening which was very nice and promptly delivered with very good service.

So, all in all I'd say it's fine as a business hotel, and would definitely stay again if I was wanting to keep my expenses down, but it wouldn't be my first choice if I was on holiday.

I thought the facilities in the room were really spartan until I saw in reception that there's an app you can download and have most of the things you want delivered. Great if you realise this early, not so great if, like my colleagues, you don't spot it at all and go out and buy your own things...

Room Tip: Not so much a room tip, but download the app and order complementary tea, coffee, dressing gowns, sl...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2014

For a New York hotel, I found the room to be on the larger side. Keep in mind...New York. Hotel rooms are small. However, I was unimpressed - the shelf over the sink did now allow me to lean over to wash my face. Really? (Oh, and there was hair in the sink upon check in - gross.) The reception on the TV was dreadful - we couldn't get/keep a signal so just trying to catch the weather and the news in the morning was not possible. The air turned off in the room if we were out, which is fine, except the room became VERY stuffy when we were gone. The blow dryer was broken. Bed was okay and luckily I was so exhausted from walking around NYC all day that I was able to sleep. However, the hotel is touted as "high end" and didn't meet my standard for that description.

Room Tip: Specify you would like a room on the higher floors as they are remodeling and taking care of the she...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Maria M
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We have been staying at this property for years. Yes, it is the standard large convention hotel but it continues to make improvements and keep up with it's guest's needs. The rooms are the normal NYC size but not too small. They have great set ups for charging devices and controls for lights and shades bedside. Bathrooms are tiny and water pressure and temp can be challenging. Still, they provide toothpaste along with lotions, shampoos etc. and are happy to provide extra towels and pillows.
We prefer staying on the Club Lounge level and they were very accommodating to make sure we were on that floor since I have a broken ankle. It is so nice to have soft drinks, water, coffees throughout the day. I do wish they would extend the hours, if you attend a Broadway show they will be closed when you return. Alcohol is only provided from 5-9 pm and that is at an extra charge. I don't mind the extra charge but again, it would be nice to have extended hours. We will continue to stay here, staff is excellent and location can't be beat. No need to leave the building to catch a subway train since there is an inside entrance to Grand Central. Many, many restaurants nearby and a shuttle to Times Square if you don't want to walk. There are many hotels to chose from and I often think about trying a different location but it is hard to beat the Grand Hyatt so we continue to return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel do not have a view but they are much quieter with no street nois...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We just returned from New York and the Grand Hyatt on Sunday. We found the hotel to be okay and rather expensive but without previous experience in NY I can't tell much about the prices.
The lobby is is very sleek but gave me the feel of a very posh train station, seeming very cold, with people permanently coming and going. The staf was very nice, on our very short interactions. Our room was actually big, compared to my expections and other reviews. We were in a corner on the 15th floor (I was actually surprised by how fast the elevators reached the floor, literally the blink of an eye). We had a king bed, sufficient for us and our 3 year-old, with a sitting area next to the TV, an empty mini-bar, some drawers under the TV, one nightstand and a walk-in closet. Bathroom is tiny compared to the room, the sink as well and I bumped my head several times on he mirror shelf when washing my face or teeth. Toiletries provided, including tooth paste.
I have to agree with the previous review on lighting system, a bit frustrating at times. The most annoying issue though was the windows which were not properly isolated and it was very drafty around them. I had no issues with the view (of the next building) because we were mostly out and also had the blinds down most of the time, for privacy and in an attempt to ward off the draft.
The main selling point of the hotel is the location, though, right on top the Grand Central Terminal, where you can find a lot of options for food and also a few shops. There is the Grand Central Market, but prices are a bit on the high side, though not as high as the hotel Market. The hotel is about 3-4 blocks from 5th Avenue and a few more from a big Macy's (that had a lot of discounts at the time) and many more shops. Lots of dining options in the area on a short walk. You can also walk to Central Park, about 17 blocks away, on 5th Avenue if you want to look at shops, on 7th or Broadway for Times Square, not far away, or Park Avenue, to see where the wealthier people live.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cristina B
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My family stayed here for a weekend in the city. Since we were coming via train, the Grand Hyatt seemed very convenient as it is attached to Grand Central Terminal. We arrived super early so of course our room was not ready. We were able to check our bags for free and given an $8.00 credit for their lobby market, not even close to cover one sandwich and a one iced tea. We went sight seeing, arrived back approximately 3:00 p.m. and were able to very quickly get into our room. I highly recommend reading through these reviews as they are spot on in regard to room location. Don't use web check-in if you want a specific side of the building. Ask what your windows face. Ask not to be next to the ice machine or elevators. Our room, a double, was oddly laid out - and really lacked both drawer space and table space. There were quite seriously two small drawers for clothing. The "work table" was too tiny for anyone to actually work on and was slanted (bent legs?). Also, apparently regular light switches are blasé, this room had touch panel switches except they did not respond that well. Also, your only choice to is "all lights" or "no lights", unless you turn all lights on, then manually go around and turn off the ones you don't want. Seems backwards. The refrigerator in the room is really just a small cooler, ours was not working, however, housekeeping brought a real mini-fridge within 15 minutes of calling the front desk. Due to the layout of the room, the fridge just sat on the floor next to the bed. The air vent in the wall was large and missing two screws, so it was half falling off the wall. I ignored it. The fan in the bathroom is apparently motion sensitive, so be prepared for it to click on and off at will. Yes, the bathroom is tiny, yes the "double" beds were tiny. It's New York so yes, everything was very, very expensive. Expect money to just fly unheeded out of your pocket. Being very familiar with the city, I was able to track down some less expensive alternatives for food and drink (if you want an omelette in your room, expect it to cost $25.00. If you go to the lobby bar, a gin and tonic will set you back $16.00, not including tip. Ouch.) Overall, there is really nothing special about this hotel once you leave the lobby. It's perfectly fine but nothing more. The biggest plus I would give it would be the location - I prefer to be away from the crazy wall-to-wall press of people near Times Square so this hotel was very good for that. The subway is right underneath, via GCT so if the weather if bad, that's also very convenient. At checkout, I used points for gift cards so that helped, otherwise the hotel is priced on the high side for what you're actually getting. One last odd quirk about the room - the hotel provided toothpaste, which I don't often see, however, there were no cups in the bathroom to rinse. The only cups were the two glasses included with the teeny tiny ice bucket, so expect only one person to be able to drink at a time.

Room Tip: Read and heed these reviews.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ayla912
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Dear ayla912,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Grand Hyatt New York in April. I was happy to read your comments about our beautiful lobby and location. We definitely are centrally located hotel with easy access to get around the city quickly and efficiently. I am sorry to hear that some of the amenities in your room were not in working order. We have addresses the issues with our engineering team to correct these inefficiencies. We hope to have you stay with us again on your next visit to New York City!

Paula Ilabaca
Marketing and Communications Manger

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt 5 years ago and chose to stay again for this trip to New York. We thought the hotel was great last time but it has since been renovated with updated bedrooms and public areas. The lobby is stunning, still with the water feature but now some huge sculptured heads as well and new upholstery and lighting. We arrived early but it was no problem and we were offered our room immediately. We were all made members of the gold club without asking which gave us a free tea, coffee or water each day from the market place café and also free WI Fi which was a good saving. Staff are all extremely polite and friendly (as are all New Yorkers). We were on the 28th floor but there are so many high speed lifts you never have to wait long for a lift. Ideal location as you are in easy walking distance of Time Square, Empire State building, Maceys, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Centre and Central Park, not to mention the stunning Grand Central Station which is right next door.
Our only slight gripe was that the bathrooms have not been updated like the rooms and they are looking a bit tired and worn.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up a little less noisy but the hotel is centrally located so expect noise at all time
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family