“Expected more...”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #327 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Convenient location next to Grand Central, didn't use hotel parking (too expensive even for NYC), found a parking 3 blocks away for half the price (used Icon parking coupons).

The lobby is a zoo, full of people all the time, and there's always a big line up at check in, the staff try their best to accommodate you though.

I got a handicap room which is bigger size then a regular queen room, nice amenities (ipod dock, non-stocked minibar, etc.) but the toilet is to high even for an average height guy like me (5ft11), my feet barely touched the floor. The bathtub drain was clogged (it was fixed after a phone call). Room cleaning needs to improve, there's carpet installed everywhere (common corridors and rooms), which in my opinion contributes on the lack of cleanliness.

Another couple who stayed with us, got a regular queen room, next to the Ice machine and complaint

The terrace (where you see the Chrysler Building) is located on the club level, so it's not available unless you book a Club level room.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel again unless I get a really good rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the Ice machine if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
GuestExperienceGHNY, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear QCO,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, but I’m concerned that your stay left you disappointed. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort experienced during your stay, particularly in regards to issues of cleanliness. We have already begun to address this issue with our housekeeping staff, and have also started looking into ways to help move guests along more expediently at check-in. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss any of your concerns in greater detail.

Guest Experience Manager
christopher.doran@hyatt.com

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I would not pay $500 per night myself. But my company booked and paid. I have stayed at the much better places for less.
Location is good. Place itself is good too, but needs love - hinges on bathroom door are falling out. Phone cable was not plugged to the phone by my bed (hey, housekeeping!).
In some areas the corridor looks worn.
Other than that good experience and service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2014

Dear Stain I,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at Grand Hyatt New York in July. I value your feedback which allows the hotel to improve in certain areas. As the flagship Hyatt Hotel in New York, we pride ourselves on the quality of our facilities which clearly fell short on your visit. Please accept our sincerest apologies. Feel free to contact me directly at paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com so I can personally make arrangements to ensure that your next visit exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is my normal hotel in Manhattan. It is located next to/above Grand Central Station and is built into the infrastructure. I've never had problems with the service or rooms and they have a good restaurant and bar if you don't want to go out.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband & I stayed here the night of June 29th. When making reservation I requested an early check in ( normal is 4 PM ). We arrived by train at noon. This hotel is right next door to Grand Central Terminal and an easy walk. Our room was not ready but we checked in our luggage and went for a walk and stopped for lunch. When we returned at 2, the room I had reserved was not ready but the woman at the check in desk said that she would give us a free room upgrade to a room that was available. Her name is Claudine and she could not have been more friendly & helpful. When I mentioned it was my husband's birthday, she asked what he drank and she ended up sending some Corona and a bottle of wine to our room- complimentary. Any staff we spoke to was smiling and could answer any of our questions. The room was clean and a good size. I found the opposite of the previous reviewer. We had some noise but it is NYC. The water pressure was great and the hot water was hot almost immediately. No problems with the TV. The towels were fine and soft enough. I will say the toilet was spaced between the shower and sink with no wiggle room. We are not big people but I think a larger person might have a hard time sitting on the toilet seat comfortably. Check out was a breeze. Again we checked our luggage while we walked around a bit before getting our train home. The Market Place on the main floor has lots of snacks, drinks and treats. The main floor restrooms were very clean. The location is perfect. You can walk anywhere, take a subway right from GCT or grab a cab out front. The doormen were very informative and helpful. We were there to see a show and easily made the walk to 46th St. and back afterwards ( and we are seniors ). We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I think a room on a higher floor may help with the noise level.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank beaglefan22

Dear beaglefan22,

We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Grand Hyatt New York. I will make sure to pass along your praise for Claudine and the staff, who are always happy to take that extra step for our guest. It is hard to beat our location being in the middle of midtown in close proximity to everything! Please feel free to contact me directly at paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com on your next visit so I can personally oversee your reservation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel is amazing for the flow of so many traveler's and does a good job at the front desk, at least for us. We had reserved a Junior Suite with points plus cash. I specifically (since I have stayed here before) asked if the room had a good view and was assured it was of 42ND ST. Got to the "suite" and it was so dismal one of our party decided to go back home (the room was barely a king with "views" of backs of old buildings, quite unlike what I paid for or was promised). I called down calmly to complain and within 10 minutes there was an agent there with keys to the Presidential Suite. That is why I give 4 stars. The ability for Hyatt staff to go to the next mile and make sure the customer is satisfied, The Presidential Suite is above par for New York as far as size. I must agree with all the complaints about the light fixtures. Way too complicated and unnecessary. All in all the room was great and the staff quick and amiable. We would stay again.
The furnishings are a bit tired, almost 80's like. A major renovation is needed.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is away from the back. our view was of the Chrysler Building, great!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Dear amberdamber,

Thank you so much for choosing Grand Hyatt New York. Just as importantly, thank you for your feedback! It is good to hear that you had a positive experience with our staff and that they exceeded your expectations. They are truly our greatest assets, and we are proud of the way they handle situations such as the one you encountered. We also value you other comments as we are always looking to improve despite our recent renovations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location. It is within walking distance of many attractions. We used the concierge service and were satisfied. The hotel itself is beautiful. Check in/ out process was smooth and simple. Very small complaint...the room was a bit on the small side.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We Stayed in a Double Delux Room on the 25th Floor of the Grand Hyatt by Grand Central Station on 42nd Street.

Our trip was for 5 nights to celebrate my son's 18th Birthday. We wanted to be in walking distance of the major sights in NYC. As the Grand Hyatt was on 42nd street sandwiched in between Grand Central and the Chrysler Building its location was ideal.

I'd done quite a bit of research and noticed that the Grand Hyatt had recently been refurbished and although there were a few negative comments, the majority seemed good.

The hotel has a very oriental feel to it when entering from the main entrance on 42nd street. The reception area is calming with a large waterfall with a Zen like feel. The staff were more than friendly and on our check in, automatically upgraded us to free wifi access and gave us vouchers to use in the marketplace for free tea, coffee and water. The receptionist also said we could come back and ask for as many vouchers as we needed whilst we were staying.

The room had 2 double beds with ample floor space and an ample sized bathroom. The lighting was very ambient, and gave the room a real modern feel. The room looked out directly on to the Chrysler building which was amazing.

The rooms were cleaned daily and to a high standard. The maids were very friendly and polite.

We had Dinner in the Hotel restaurant which was also very good. Food was of a high quality and although priced as such the portion sizes were larger than London Fine Dining restaurants.

My husband also used the gym and again this was well presented clean with plenty of equipment all in good working order.

In summary a very very enjoyable stay, comfortable and an ideal base for exploring the amazing New York City. I would definitely recommend this hotel and if we are lucky enough to come to New York again in the future we would defiantly choose this hotel again,

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Paula D
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Paula D,
Firstly, on behalf of the Grand Hyatt New York family, Happy (Belated) Birthday to your son! I am thrilled that your family chose to stay with us during this special occasion. We strive to make these special moments even more "Grand" and it sounds like our staff just did that! Thank you for your kind words about our team, guest rooms, restaurant, and location. Please come and visit us again soon!