“The rooms are too OLD AUGUST 2009”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #320 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
haifa
“The rooms are too OLD AUGUST 2009”
Reviewed 19 August 2009

The rooms are too OLD AUGUST 2009
Location good
I paid ~150$ per night VIA priceline
I think that the hotel is not worth the money.
I would prefer to take a smaller hotel, with free wireless (this one 10$ per day), including breakfast (the "breakfast place across the road is awful. don't go there !!!)
you are all the way out, don't pay so much.
and the location is good but you need to take the sub 2 stations to get to timesquare

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank haifa_traveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We recently took a trip to New York city and stayed at the Grand Hyatt. The location was fantastic - literally next door to Grand Central Station, any location in the city was a quick Subway ride or walk away. We managed to find a great deal on the room through Expedia - paid less than $200 per night, normally the room would have been nearly $400. The reception/concierge services were very good and the location couldn't have been better. Avoid the hotel restaurant and do not buy the $50 per day convenience charge for breakfast ... the food at the hotel was the biggest rip off. $9 cup of coffee for room service, $28 omelet. The restaurant wasn't much cheaper. The good thing is that there are many many restaurants and of course Star Bucks located within easy walking distance of the hotel.

The room was clean, bigger than expected and comfortable. I wouldn't have wanted to pay $400 per night, but for our deal of less than $200 it was totally worth it.

1 Thank NurseJJ
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Grand Hyatt NY Management at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 18 August 2009
Dear Nurse JJ,
Thank you for deciding to stay with us on your recent visit to NYC. Also, we appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback. This is valuable to us.

Regarding our breakfast charge, we are happy to inform the new breakfast option we initiated just last week. The Hotel has recently taken a different direction to offer an ala carte menu selection in the Commodore Restaurant which provides creative breakfast options that allow for a more flexible price point. We are also happy to announce that the hotel recently implemented a new In Room Dining menu, which has lowered the dining charge from $5 per person to $3.50 per order. This service to our guest is still first class for those whom are on the run or want to be pampered.

We do hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to New York and our hotel. It's a great location providing easy access to the varied points of interest around the city. Please let us know if we may assist you in arranging accommodations here in the future.

Grand Hyatt New York Management
Dundee,Scotland
Reviewed 15 August 2009

Really enjoyed our stay at the Grand Hyatt,had read some reviews of New York hotels which said they were very small,not the case with the Grand Hyatt,more than adequate space,beds very comfy,shower good,rooms clean,only tip i would recommend is when checking in,request a room that isnt one the adjoining/family type,we wanted a good nights sleep after travelling so we could get an early start the next day,unfortunately the guests in the adjoining room(not with us) returned at 3am&decided to have a party,there is no soundproofing between the adjoing rooms just what seem like a paper thin door,it felt like the party was in our room!!!!but credit to the staff,on complaining the next day we were m oved to a larger corner room(not adjoining)&a complimentary bottle of wine & strawberries dipped in chocolate were delivered to our room that evening,all said it was a great stay in New York,i would recommend this hotel for its location& the comfy beds&clean rooms,with all there is to do in NYC,you dont really spend that much time in your room.Great place to stay!

1 Thank craigc240
MJC2NYC, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, 19 August 2009
Dear Cougar481,

Thank you for arranging to stay with us on your recent visit to NYC! It was grteat to read that you enjoyed our location adjacent Grand Central trains and subway station as well as the accommodations.

Regret hearing about the disturbance you experienced with your next door neighbors. However, it was great to hear the staff listened and reacted so well to your concerns. This is the response we train for and I am glad they came through for you.

Thanks again for staying with us. Look forward to a return visit soon!

Best Regards,

Mike Costello
Hotel Manager
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 August 2009

I wrote an email to the hotel long before arrival with the request of a non smoking room in one of the upper floors. I never got a response. However they were able to fill in my request at the time of check in.

We had a nice room in the 27th floor. The room was big, the bathroom pretty tiny with no space to put your own staff. There were some stains at the bathroom floor and in the tub. They could have vacuumed the room a bit better but other than that it was clean. There was also a walk in closet. The bed was very comfortable and we had a good sleep, the room was very quiet.

The view from room 2736 is a bit blocked from the building across the other side which is pretty close but since there was no street between the buidlings it was also very quiet.

Internet was wireless for 9,99 extra a day.

We had breakfast every morning in the restaurant Commodore Grill. It is a bit overpriced but good quality.

The staff was always very nice, reponsive and helpful.

The location is excellent. Next to Grand Central Station and withing walking distance to Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, The United Nation Headquarter, Time Square and other interesting points.

I would stay here again!

1 Thank Simopel
Dear Simopel,

We really appreciate your making the choice to stay with us during your visit to New York city recently. Thanks very much!

I appologize that you didn't receive a response to your email prior to arrival. If you would care to share the address you used i would like to look into that in greater detail. Another option is to contact the toll free reservation number and have your request placed directly into your reservation so we capture the request at the moment you make it.....1-800-233-1234 for future reference.

Great to hear you enjoyed the guestroom . We have gotten positive comments on the size of the guest rooms, especially for an urban area. We are in discussions now on a renovation to our guest rooms . One area that is receiving a great deal of focus is the bathroom and ways to provide more efficient and useful space for personal items.

Although you found the menu prices a bit high for your liking I was pleased to see your comment regarding the good quality. we have been reviewing and updating our menus and are continuing to look at ways to balance great quality with price. Also, we are working on plans to expand the space and menu offerings in our lobby based coffee center to provide additional variety to our guests.

Thank you for the kind remarks on the hospitality you received from our staff. Also, great to know you found our location connected to Grand Central station and within walking distance of so many of the city's attractions points of interest to be advantageous.

Hopefully it won't be too long before you return. We're looking forward to it.

Best Regards,

Mike Costello
Hotel Manager
Santo André
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I loved to stay there!! Great location beside The Grand Central Station . All hotel staff was very helpful and courteous. I will go back certainly!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Helo26
Chicago
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I just returned from a business trip to New York where I gave a presentation to a group of travel industry professionals. The conference went well, but that is not my reason for writing this. The problem was with the Hotel.

The conference hotel was the Grand Hyatt in New York City. This is a very large business hotel located right next to Grand Central Station on 42nd street. I was excited about staying at the hotel as I really enjoy the Hyatt brand.

I arrived at 1250AM in stead of 1030PM as my flight was late from Chicago due to weather in the New York area. So I am now very tired, somewhat wet as it has been pouring rain for the entire trip from Newark Airport to the Grand Hyatt Hotel and I had to wade through the rain to get to the Super Shuttle Bus. I walk into the lobby of the Grand Hyatt and proceed to the Registration Desk. Now remember it is 1250AM on Thursday morning and there are at least 12 people waiting in line to check in. Now that would not be so bad, but there is only one desk clerk handling the check in and to add insult to injury, there are approximately 15 self service check-in kiosk that all say “OUT OF SERVICE – SEE DESK CLERK TO CHECK IN.” So now I am very tired, I have a bad headache and I am standing in a line that is not moving at all.

20 minutes later I make it up to the desk clerk. I give him my name and my reservation number. He types it into the computer and then I see that look on his face that I have seen to many times before. You know the look of bad news at 115 in the morning. So he tells me that the room I reserved was not available. My heart dropped! I said you have to give me a room. He tells me that he has a queen size smoking room. I said to myself, “how bad could a smoking room be?” So I say to the desk clerk, I just need a room to sleep in, I will take the room.

So he gives me the key card and I proceed to the 15th floor room I was assigned. I get to the room and open the door and walk in and then it hit me. This room REAKED of smoke! Oh did it stink, it just knocked you over. It smelled like someone chain smoked no-stop for a week! But again, I was so tired and I had this terrible headache and I just needed so sleep. So I climbed into the bed and fell asleep.

When I woke up, I really look around the room for the first time. The window shade was all stained and looked as if someone threw a cup of coffee on it. The lights on the night stands did not work properly. The Desk lamp shade was broken and had a hole in it. There was a floor lamp that was leaning over like someone bent the base. And the final straw, the wifi in the room did not work.

I walked into the bathroom to take a shower. The bathroom look pretty good, so I get into the shower, close the curtain and turned on the water. I adjusted the temperature and then the tub started to fill up. Ok, so the drain was running slow. I hit the shower button and the shower turned on. It started to spray nicely around the curtain and on to the floor. I could not get a good flow onto me, but it did a great job of making a puddle on the floor of the bathroom, which I could not stop.

I was really frustrated by this time. I got out of the shower and threw two towels on the floor to soak up the water. I then dried myself off with a third towel, at least they gave me 4 towels and they were not the usual fluffy Hyatt towels, they were very scratchy and thin towels.

The service was just fair throughout the hotel. The public areas were very nice, but the service was poor at best. I stay in lots of hotel rooms during the year and this was a stay that I want to forget. I cannot recommend the Grand Hyatt in New York until they do something to improve the quality control of the rooms and the attitude of the staff.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank traveldoctor3
Parma, Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Had a great stay. Booked through priceline for an awesome price!! Got upgraded upon arrival. Great room, very clean, comfy beds, fantastic location. Took advantage of proximity to Grand Central Station and rode the subway often. Never had to use a cab on this trip. Consierge was very helpful and clued us in to some "non touristy spots" Very large hotel so not very intimate or unique but non the less a great place to lay your heads in comfort after busy days in NYC.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends