“Grand Hyatt = Grand Holiday!”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #335 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 December 2009

The Grand Hyatt in New York is fantastic and I cannot recommend it highly enough. We stayed for 4 nights and were suitably impressed by the friendliness and knowledge of staff, all amenities and the quality of rooms. The rooms are an excellent size, and the en-suites larger than you might expect. Ask to be put in the refurbished side of the hotel and you won't be disappointed at all. For a large chain like Hyatt, service can vary wildly between hotels but the Hyatt have this nailed. We were welcomed and looked after at every stage of the trip. A tip - for breakfast head over the road to Pershing Square which is a great place to get an all-American breakfast in stylish surroundings. The proximity to tourist hotspots like the Empire State Building, Times Square, Rockerfeller etc is unrivalled. You feel close to the main places, without being on top of them. I'd have no hesitation in staying here again - in fact I would insist on it as the Hyatt is that good.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank jamesdawes
Write a ReviewReviews (9,113)

Reviewed 30 November 2009

That rare thing - a large hotel with the personal touch. As we were registering in the imposing lobby, someone let slip that it was my birthday. Two hours later, wine, chocolates and a card arrived in my room. You can't buy that sort of PR. We'd arrived three hours ahead of check-in time, but were accommodated without fuss; there's no underestimating the value of such flexibility to a weary traveller. The concierges and travel/tour reps. were equally helpful. The hotel has a great location on 42nd Street, with many sights within comfortable walking distance. And if you're going farther afield in NY state, Grand Central Terminal is right there. The room was large and clean and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was surprisingly small (even to an English guest!), and my wife bemoaned the lack of a decently lit and magnifiable mirror for contact lenses, make-up etc. Also, there seemed to be just one place to eat in a hotel with around 1200 rooms. But these are small quibbles. Overall, terrific.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
MJC2NYC, Management at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2009

Dear Andy006,

Thanks for selecting our hotel for your visit to New York and happy belated birthday!

Great to hear you enjoyed the stay, our location with easy access to the top attractions in the city and found the staff to be very hospitable.

Thanks for the feedback on the guest room. We are going to be doing a room renovation and will address some of the items you mentioned. Hope we'll have you back so you can see in person!

Thanks again for selecting our hotel for your New York visit. we really appreciate it.

Mike Costello
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 November 2009

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for six nights during Thanksgiving week. Overall it was a nice hotel, with just a few minor glitches which in no way diminished a wonderful week in New York.

Upon check-in, the front desk agent informed me I had been upgraded to a "Lexington Suite". It was a nice big room overlooking Lexington Ave., and the Chrysler Building was right next to us. Beautiful view from room 1926! The bed was absolutely wonderful; comfortable and luxuriously soft. I normally have trouble falling asleep in a strange city (especially New York with all the horns honking 24/7), but no problem in this bed. There was a nice flat screen TV which swiveled so you could either turn it to face the bedroom or to face the TV area. Great touch. Other nice features were an in-room safe, an iron and an ironing board. The bathroom amenities were also unique and plentiful.

The following are a few minor problems I noticed during my stay: The walls are thin (but aren't they all in hotels these days?). My next door neighbors (room 1925) were a bunch of loud guys who were banging around and yelling at all hours of the day & night. To make matters worse, they were smoking up a storm in the room. The rooms are non-smoking and the smell permeated the hallway and sometimes even came into my room. Nasty. There was plenty of hot water but it takes FOREVER for it to come out [hot] of the faucet. I had to let the water run for several minutes before it came out hot. I guess it had to travel a long way. After a long day of sightseeing and walking, my back hurt, so I decided to take a "sit down bath" to relieve my aching muscles when I realized the tub stopper didn't close. I tried and tried but it didn't work. So I used a washcloth to plug the drain (but it didn't work very well!). I didn't bother reporting it to maintenance since I didn't plan on taking any more baths. Oh, and wireless internet is $9.95 for 24 hours. I used it and the connection was fast & easy (T Mobile Hot Spot).

Don't bother eating in the restaurants or using room service in this hotel. I cannot comment on the quality because once I saw the prices I stayed away. Nine dollars for coffee (for one person only)? Thirty-Four dollars for French Toast? Really, that is ridiculous, even for New York. And these were the restaurant prices, not the "jacked-up" prices for room service. Do yourself a favor and grab breakfast (or any meal) in Grand Central Station. It is right next door and you won't even have to go outside to access it. Just take the corridor on the lower lobby level and make a right. It will take you directly there. There's also a Starbucks in that corridor which is actually less expensive than the "coffee cart" in the lobby of the hotel. My favorite place was called "Hot and Crusty". I was able to buy 2 large coffees, a bottle of OJ, a bottle of milk and a wonderful croissant for a total of 8 dollars and change. Honestly, I don't know who would ever pay those extravagant hotel prices. I am still in shock!

Here's another money-saving tip: If you are coming from an airport, go online and book Super Shuttle. Yes, it is a shared van that makes several stops, but it is a lot less expensive (and easier) than a taxi. My ride from La Guardia was only $13.00 plus tip (16.49). I also used it to go back to the airport. You can save a few more bucks if you book it round trip.

Overall a great hotel, just a little bit away from the major noise and crowds of Times Square. I would return, especially now that I know how to get around the pricey add-ons.

2  Thank timbolester
Reviewed 27 November 2009

The location of this hotel is great if you are looking to do upper and midtown new york city, also easily connected to elsewhere via grand central station. Not the cheapest hotel to stay at but it is a very grand building. The staff are a credit to the hotel and are really helpful, polite and friendly. The rooms are adequate size and very quiet with a good view from all sides.
I would however agree with a few of the other reveiws on here saying it is very business focused. The conference and business guests seem to get slightly preferential treatment whilst in house.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Bex2683
Reviewed 27 November 2009

The proximity to Grand Central Station and the Newark airport shuttle stop made this hotel a very convenient location. Front desk was busy, but I was helped quickly and checking in early wasn't an issue. Initially I was put in an extremely small room, but after noticing how much larger other rooms were, I called to request a change, which was denied. But after speaking with a different front desk agent in person, I was given a slightly more spacious room. Furnishings were above average and public areas seemed clean and well-maintained. Overall an excellent business choice for NYC.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank RonJon949
Reviewed 26 November 2009

stayed for 4 nights recently. We were able to check in early which was great after a long flight! Our room was on the 26th floor and was extremely quiet, no noise from ajoining rooms. the room was clean and nicely decorated, and it was massive!!! Throughout our stay the staff we met were extremely helpful and friendly. It was close to Times Square and we were able to walk to all attractions.

We enjoyed our stay and would use this hotel again.

Reviewed 25 November 2009

I was very pleased with my recent four day stay. Requested and received a two double room at a great promo rate (less than 250 a night - at holiday season). They let me check in early (nice), check out late (really nice), gave me free breakfast (really, really nice - came with the promo), and were remarkably accommodating to our every need (GREAT concierge staff). Room was quiet (26th floor overlooking Grand Central Station) and location cannot be beat. The room was not brand new and showed some wear, and it would have been nice to have an in-room fridge, but overall comfortable, convenient and very classy. Well worth the bucks.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family