To start with, this hotel is in a brilliant location. Not right on Times Square but close enough. We had previously stayed a few years back in the Novatel Times Square and this hotel easily beats it hands down!
The rooms are for New York, some of the best. The problem with New York is that most hotels are about 15 years overdue for a renovation so if you stay at, for example, a Novatel in Asia vs one in the USA, best not keep your expectations the same.
The staff in the hotel are very helpful (mind you in a tipping country there is incentive to do that). However there was an issue. We got caught in the Polar Vortex and our flight cancelled out from London to a later flight on another airline. Unable to contact the hotel during this time, it wasn't till we made landfall in the USA (we ended up mid flight getting diverted to Detroit) and got to the hotel the airline put us in for the night and after we sorted out ticketing with the airline to get to NY (which is a disaster story in itself) I finally got the chance to contact the hotel to say we would be a day late.
Once I got through to reservations, the lady on the other end of the line advised us that we had been classified as a no-show and was actually quite rude about our lack of contacting them earlier (as if they were the priority!). Considering at that time they would have been suffering a lot of no-shows due to the closure of the airports you would think a little bit of leniency? Anyway, after feeling like a child being scolded they re-confirmed our booking. I wonder if this all occurred as we had booked via Hotels.com and not direct?
Anyway, when we got to the hotel finally the following day very late at night, the lady at the desk informed us that the room we had booked and paid for, they had none free that night. So we got put into a room with 2 beds of a lower class for 1 night. Thankfully, she advised us that the next day between 10am and 1pm, the hotel would move our cases etc for us to another room which was what we had originally paid for. As compensation we were give 2 x free breakfast passes for the inconvenience. I cannot fault the lady at the desk, but it would seem that the lady over the phone did not do her job properly.
At the end of the day, alls well that ends well I suppose.
The hotel in general is really nice. The room we got initially was ok, the room we booked much better. I was a little surprised that being the USA and the inconvenience we had we did not get upgraded...considering other people's similar type of stories...but anyway.
The breakfast...was below par. I am glad we did not pay for it. There are plenty of places in NY to get something to eat so save your money and go to the street to eat. The breakfast was, lets say, on the lower side of average for a 4/5 star hotel...quite lower side. Mind you they are renovating the normal breakfast area and had situated this in what looked like their function rooms but in all honesty, that should not be an excused for providing a good breakfast (I am sure their prices were the same regardless).
The room we ended up in was great and had a nice view of the city and if you craned your neck somewhat, a very partial view of Times Square. If was very roomy, the bathroom was nice and clean and a reasonable size. The shower hot water temp was great! Just having come from London where both hotels we stayed could not produce anything more than mild lukewarm, it was much appreciated!
Each floor has an ice machine and a vending machine which is great. We had free Wifi, which I am not sure if it was standard or just that it was part of being a member of the Crowne Club...but I think it was free regardless. It is about time (as we saw in London) that many hotels are offering a standard wifi connection as free and a premium at cost. Ironically coming from Australia, the standard speeds actually match what we normally get at the best of times so it is more than adequate (infact at times it was far better than what we get back at home - take note Tony Abbott...bring back the full NBN...we are so behind the 8-ball here!).
The bed was very comfortable and large and in general there were enough facilities in the room as you would expect from this standard of hotel. The lobby is very busy and often quite noisy. Note that you do not have direct access from the entrances (both front and rear) into the lobby, but our last stay was at the Novatel Times Square and that was much worse as you could only get to the lobby via 2 slow lifts. Here they had stairs and escalators as well as a lift. So no big issue.
The gym is absolutely brilliant. As a member of the Crowne Club I had free access (which I am surprised at any hotel these days that you shouldn't have regardless). The gym looks like it is run as an everyday gym for anyone as it was massive with so many machines it was amazing! I
Overall I would stay at this hotel again if we were coming to NY and could get a reasonable rate for a King Room, a lot based on its location and in comparison to other NY hotels it was very good. I just hope that eventually NY spends some money on their hotels and updates the rooms. They are well overdue. Otherwise would recommend this hotel to others quite easily.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Times Square, always New York's most exciting scene, seems all new now that the Crowne Plaza Times Square has reinvented itself. Come check out our $85 million re-invention, and see for yourself how modern design can provide a whole new kind of comfort. Enjoy one of our 795 well-appointed guest rooms outfitted with fresh contemporary accents and plush Sleep Advantage beds. Every room offers breathtaking views of Times Square, the famous Manhattan skyline or the Hudson River, unique among hotels in Times Square. Relax in our sleek lobby lounge, or have an evening cocktail in Broadway 49 Bar. Delight in a new spin on New American Eclectic cuisine at Brasserie 1605, one of the most exciting Times Square restaurants. With options like these, it's no wonder that New York seems so new. If you ve come for a meeting, you ll benefit from the new tech-friendly environment. If you re here for an event, you ll revel in the open space and atmospheric lighting, and when you walk through our front door, you step onto Broadway dazzling lights, world-class entertainment and urban energy. That's how Crowne Plaza Times Square is keeping New York new for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Southall Travel, IHG, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Travelbag and Odigeo so you can book your Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan Hotel New York City
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Manhattan
- Crowne Plaza New York City