“1st time in NYC”

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #193 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“1st time in NYC”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

My brother, mother and myself took our first trip to the Big Apple. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza. The hotel was beautiful, our rooms were great. Loved the coffee station setup in the lobby in the morning. The resturant in the hotel was great to eat with one exception. Dont order the buffet, cost alot more, got better food ordering straight off the menu and less expensive. We also ordered room service for dessert, 40 for 2 desserts plus tip, not worth it. They have a nice bar in hotel with good food. Over all this hotel was a great place to stay with everything you would need at your fingertips, would stay there again, if we ever visit again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Becki D
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you Becki D for the amazing 4-star review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time with us here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square and that you enjoyed the comforts of your room and our food. We hope you were able to visit all the restaurants, shops, and attractions in the Times Square vicinity. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit!
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,976)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for 5 nights. I am a IHG Ambassador Gold member. I have been staying regularly @ Crowne Plaza Hotels in Asia. It is one of the best hotel chain. However, after staying @ Crowne Plaza New York Times Square. I might consider other chain. The hotel has got NO In-room Amanities. No fridge, no boiling kettle, no toothbrush. The worst part is the room service is so bad, they only changed our bed sheet after 4 nights. The bathtub is never cleaned. This hotel is comparable to a motel.Everything is bad. Check out is so chaotic that we nearly missed our plane. I think the hotel manager should be responsible for having the worst management of Crowne Plaza chain. The house keeping/consierge/bell desk is always busy. The whole experience is so dissapointing that i will never stay @ Crowne Plaza New York Times Square anymore.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank d4rk88
Thank you d4rk88 for taking the time out to write a review and for your candid feedback. I am disheartened to read about your experience with us.  We strive to provide outstanding customer service to all our guests.  I apologize that you experienced several challenges during your stay and I want to thank you for your continued loyalty to IHG rewards. We do not provide refrigerators in our rooms, however, upon request we do provide one for a nominal one-time fee of $30. Your comments are greatly appreciated and have been forwarded over to the appropriate departments to discuss and review. W I would love to discuss the matter further, please contact me at amontoya@cptsnyc.com at your earliest convenience so we may rectify your concerns. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for another visit so we can prove to you how much we value you as a guest.
Alejandro Montoya
Hotel Operations Manager
new jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was astounded by the lack of customer service at this hotel. The staff at the front desk acted like they were doing me a favor by letting me check in. They could not find our reservations, even though we were having an event there the next day. They couldn't find our event. Apparently only the "event planner" is able to do that. Even the event planner could not tell us for sure as their computer was updating emails for the day. They were extremely rude. I feel sorry for foreigners who happen to have this as a first experience of what the US is like.
A group of foreign speaking travelers were attempting to have their bags checked before they were allowed to check in and they were asking for change of a $10.00. The bell hop had tons of singles but he gave them two fives… when they looked at him like "where is the change" he rudely said, "you asked for change, that is what I gave you." They gave him one of the $5.00 bills… I certainly would not have in this case. Totally rude. The bell hops don't open doors for you and also act like they are doing you a favor. Bad attitudes all around. Our rooms were not available until 4:30 pm, my room had wet carpeting by the bathroom, which I did not discover until I stepped on it in my socks. UG! When I got in the shower to try to warm up the tub was slimy. The heat in my room did not work and there were no extra blankets, so I barely slept and had all of the pillows on top of me to keep me warm. The event planner had a decent attitude but our event room barely held our customers. It was long and skinny so the people in the back could not see the tiny screen they provided. The sound system was terrible, though the technician came in and "sort of" fixed it, then proceeded to chastise us for trying to adjust it. Thank god the food was good. Almost every attendee wrote on their evaluation that the room was COLD and they could not see the presentation.
All in all… I would say this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I would never go back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank josyg
amontoya29, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for the review Josyg. Its saddening to read of your experience. This type of service is completely unacceptable and I will be informing all of the necessary departments. Here, at the Crowne Plaza Times Square we strive to make every guests experience memorable and when plans do not go accordingly, it is upsetting. Please contact me directly at amontoya@cptsnyc.com, so we can further discuss the poor incidents that occured during your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope to welcome you back.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

After waiting over 25 years tp go to New York my expextations were pretty high and the Crowne Plaza did not let me down, the staff were very friendly and helpful the room was twice the size I was expexting with excellent views of the hudson river, the bed was very comfortable and I had no trouble sleeping in a new bed, the bathroom was nice with a lovely shower and a reasonable shallow tub which made it easier to get in amd out the shower, I think the best thing about this hotel was the location, New York is definitely a walking city so being in the cetre of the action was great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank georgeafc
CrownePlaza49, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you georgeafc for the fantastic review! We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time with us. We are glad to hear that the hotel was perfect for your travel needs and that all our staff provided you with great service. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your room and that you were lucky to have a room with a Hudson River view! We hope you were able to visit all the restaurants, shops, and attractions in the Times Square vicinity. There is always more to see and do in New York City so we hope to see you again!
Geoffrey Mills
Managing Director
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed 7 wonderful nights at the Crowne Plaza Times Square! As has been mentioned numerous times in previous reviews, it really has the perfect location and we found it to be a great launch pad to explore all of Manhattan.
Other aspects of this hotel that stood out for us was the very comfortable bed and friendly Concierge service. Every single person in Concierge we met was friendly, answered all of our subway related questions, even helped us out on a couple printing matters, and always with a smile!
As a Gold Member of IHG Rewards Club, we were given free Wi-Fi in our room and access to the gym.
While we really loved our stay, I thought I would comment on a couple minor annoyances...certainly not enough to affect our overall enjoyment of staying at the hotel, but again, just thought I would mention:
1. I thought it was strange that we had to prepay our room for the entire 7 day stay upon check in plus pay a re-fundable security deposit. Not sure if this is a NYC local practice, but I've stayed in many hotels over the years both for business and personal, and I've never had to do this. It just left me with an awkward feeling.
2. The final billing arrived under our door on the day of our check-out and it indicated our security deposit had been credited back to our credit card, however, WiFi charges totalled almost $200, which came as a shock! I went down to the front desk wondering why I had been charged for WiFi as an IHG Rewards Member and was told that it was standard and that it would simply be reversed when we formally checked out. Again, I found it strange that something that was supposed to be "free" even showed up on our bill in the first place. Not a big whup, but I think it's unnecessary for hotel guests to even have this conversation with the front desk. Free means free.
Anyway, we still loved our stay at Crowne Plaza and would certainly return if we were ever to visit NYC again and would definitely recommend it to our family and friends!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lma204
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Went there with 2 couples, had a lot of fun. The hotel is situated right in the middle of everything. The rooms are very nice and comfortable with very nice views! There's a nice restaurant and a nice bar in the hotel if you want to get a drink after a long day of shopping. Very good customer service. Note that there's a 50$ extra parking per day besides your room rate but its all worth it!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cutsy2014
Kudrna5, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for the review! We are excited to read that you had such a great stay and we are glad that you were able to enjoy our location, rooms, and bar! We strive to provide top service and when are guests leave happy, we are happy. Please let us know if you plan to travel to NYC again. We would love to welcome you back.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed in the Crowne Plaza Times Square for 5 nights. This hotel has a super location just 50 yards from Times Square. We had a room on the 45th floor (4522) overlooking the Hudson River which had a large comfortable double bed and all the amenities expected from a quality hotel. The service and food was excellent. The only downside was that you had to be early for breakfast otherwise a queue formed and a tedious wait for a seat. The restaurant apparently only held 135 persons, which was not big enough for such a large hotel. However we were down early every day and only noticed the queues when leaving the hotel for our daily adventures.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.eg 4510- 4522 even numbers.