“New Year”

Ranked #190 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Brisbane, Australia
“New Year”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed for New Years Eve. I would certainly recommend that you stay in the Times Square precinct (if that is why you are in New York for New Year). It allows you to be able to get through the barriers, etc while making your way to and from your hotel. As for the Crowne Plaza, it is what you would expect from a hotel of this caliber. However, their processes to deal with NYE were pretty average ... you would have thought it was their first time! Rather than giving people their NYE wrist band (for access through the barricades) on check-in, they required EVERY PERSON to line up NYE morning - from 9.00am - and then had TWO staff members allocated to the task. I had been in the foyer from 7.00am but could not possibly pick them up then!?@# This was incredibly frustrating and wasted many hours of everyone's time on a day when timing was very important as roads/trains etc were blocked after about 1.00pm. I also have a personal issue with no free wi-fi. Having just come from Italy where wi-fi is free even in the smallest, family owned hotel/apartment, it seems ludicrous to me that anyone can walk in from the street and get free wi-fi in the foyer, but you have to pay to use wi-fi in your VERY EXPENSIVE room (particularly on NYE). Overall, it is a fantastic hotel and location, they just need to plan better for the massive influx of tourists on NYE.

Room Tip: We had the times square view room. You cannot see "the ball" but it is still an awesome v...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,006)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Coventry
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Arrived at Crowne Plaza on 16 April 2014 early evening. Check in was quick and easy. The manager was going to give us free Wi-Fi but he also noticed we had IHG membership, so we got it anyway. Went to the elevator's to find them very busy, a school party had just arrived. It didn't take too long and we never had that problem again. Got up to our room and what a view, My daughter had been in touch with the hotel to ask if it was possible to have a corner room with a view as we were celebrating my 60th birthday. Room 2127 had that view. The grab and go breakfast was great to get out early, one of us would go down, get what we needed and take it back to the room and carry on getting ready. Could also make coffee in the room, just had to get my own milk. The bar was a nice place to spend time in the evening before going out again or when we got back. Did stand at the bar one night waiting to get served and everyone seemed too busy. A "won't be long" would have done, we gave up and left. Had nice complimentary cocktails another night and lunch at the bar the day we checked out. Hotel rang the number for me and passed me the phone to book our pre booked mini bus back to the airport. Cleaning staff were very good and friendly, we had plenty of towels for 3 ladies, a bit small but when you have that many rooms! Hairdryer worked well, our own not so good. Plenty of plugs, mainly in the lamps, we did have to put books underneath them to make them higher for our plugs to fit in. Crowne Plaza was in such a good location to get around, couldn't fault it.

Room Tip: Just ask in advance
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
CrownePlaza49, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Hello jan4eve,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a ravishing review of our property! We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time with us here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square and that you enjoyed the comforts of our rooms.
Our staff was excited to hear that they were hospitable and made a positive impact on your stay with us, and I am personally happy to know that they were able to upgrade your room. We can't wait to have you back. Please let us know the next time you will be returning. We hope to see you again soon!
Best regards,

San Diego, California

Some good, some bad.

The check in line was really long. The hotel is usually packed full with tourists from Europe, South America and Middle America(aka the fat housewives and their bouncy kids heading to Hershey's World). So you are looking for a quiet business stay, definitely find another hotel. It was really noisy Thursday to Saturday nights with crying babies, screaming kids and loud stereos playing the latest hits all from the hallway.

Given that weakness, the room itself is very spacious with a large king bed and full wrap around windows giving a panoramic view of Time Square. The bathroom itself is also very large and convenient with a very nice walk-in shower that is very functional and not pretentious.

The elevators are a little bit slow and the bell staff is definitely very over-worked. With that said, the staff tries to be helpful. The location of the hotel is an extra bonus. The hotel is very centrally situated at the heart of Time Square and there are multiple great and not so great Tourist Trap type restaurants a stone's throw away. The subway and post office are just a few blocks walk.

The housekeeping did an immaculate job keeping the room very clean, much better than my previous experience with Millenium Broadway.

The price is pretty reasonable for New York City.

Will stay again with some second thoughts due to the noise and the clientele. Staff is wonderful!

Room Tip: Do not choose the 15th floor, very rowdy the few nights I stayed there, a cross between the youth h...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kyle92131
CrownePlaza49, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
 Thank you Kyle92131 for your great feedback! We are glad you enjoyed our hotel location as we are conveniently located within walking distance to many venues in our area. We are glad to hear that you recognized that our rooms are cleaned to the highest standards; our luxurious beds are extremely comfortable! New York City is a hectic city, especially Times Square, but we try our best to accommodate our guests so they can relax after a long day exploring this busy city. We hope to have you back with us soon!
Geoffrey Mills
Managing Director
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

My brother, mother and myself took our first trip to the Big Apple. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza. The hotel was beautiful, our rooms were great. Loved the coffee station setup in the lobby in the morning. The resturant in the hotel was great to eat with one exception. Dont order the buffet, cost alot more, got better food ordering straight off the menu and less expensive. We also ordered room service for dessert, 40 for 2 desserts plus tip, not worth it. They have a nice bar in hotel with good food. Over all this hotel was a great place to stay with everything you would need at your fingertips, would stay there again, if we ever visit again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Becki D
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you Becki D for the amazing 4-star review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time with us here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square and that you enjoyed the comforts of your room and our food. We hope you were able to visit all the restaurants, shops, and attractions in the Times Square vicinity. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit!
Hotel Manager
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for 5 nights. I am a IHG Ambassador Gold member. I have been staying regularly @ Crowne Plaza Hotels in Asia. It is one of the best hotel chain. However, after staying @ Crowne Plaza New York Times Square. I might consider other chain. The hotel has got NO In-room Amanities. No fridge, no boiling kettle, no toothbrush. The worst part is the room service is so bad, they only changed our bed sheet after 4 nights. The bathtub is never cleaned. This hotel is comparable to a motel.Everything is bad. Check out is so chaotic that we nearly missed our plane. I think the hotel manager should be responsible for having the worst management of Crowne Plaza chain. The house keeping/consierge/bell desk is always busy. The whole experience is so dissapointing that i will never stay @ Crowne Plaza New York Times Square anymore.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank d4rk88
Thank you d4rk88 for taking the time out to write a review and for your candid feedback. I am disheartened to read about your experience with us.  We strive to provide outstanding customer service to all our guests.  I apologize that you experienced several challenges during your stay and I want to thank you for your continued loyalty to IHG rewards. We do not provide refrigerators in our rooms, however, upon request we do provide one for a nominal one-time fee of $30. Your comments are greatly appreciated and have been forwarded over to the appropriate departments to discuss and review. W I would love to discuss the matter further, please contact me at amontoya@cptsnyc.com at your earliest convenience so we may rectify your concerns. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for another visit so we can prove to you how much we value you as a guest.
Alejandro Montoya
Hotel Operations Manager
new jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was astounded by the lack of customer service at this hotel. The staff at the front desk acted like they were doing me a favor by letting me check in. They could not find our reservations, even though we were having an event there the next day. They couldn't find our event. Apparently only the "event planner" is able to do that. Even the event planner could not tell us for sure as their computer was updating emails for the day. They were extremely rude. I feel sorry for foreigners who happen to have this as a first experience of what the US is like.
A group of foreign speaking travelers were attempting to have their bags checked before they were allowed to check in and they were asking for change of a $10.00. The bell hop had tons of singles but he gave them two fives… when they looked at him like "where is the change" he rudely said, "you asked for change, that is what I gave you." They gave him one of the $5.00 bills… I certainly would not have in this case. Totally rude. The bell hops don't open doors for you and also act like they are doing you a favor. Bad attitudes all around. Our rooms were not available until 4:30 pm, my room had wet carpeting by the bathroom, which I did not discover until I stepped on it in my socks. UG! When I got in the shower to try to warm up the tub was slimy. The heat in my room did not work and there were no extra blankets, so I barely slept and had all of the pillows on top of me to keep me warm. The event planner had a decent attitude but our event room barely held our customers. It was long and skinny so the people in the back could not see the tiny screen they provided. The sound system was terrible, though the technician came in and "sort of" fixed it, then proceeded to chastise us for trying to adjust it. Thank god the food was good. Almost every attendee wrote on their evaluation that the room was COLD and they could not see the presentation.
All in all… I would say this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I would never go back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank josyg
amontoya29, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for the review Josyg. Its saddening to read of your experience. This type of service is completely unacceptable and I will be informing all of the necessary departments. Here, at the Crowne Plaza Times Square we strive to make every guests experience memorable and when plans do not go accordingly, it is upsetting. Please contact me directly at amontoya@cptsnyc.com, so we can further discuss the poor incidents that occured during your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope to welcome you back.

Warm regards,

Hotel Manager
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

After waiting over 25 years tp go to New York my expextations were pretty high and the Crowne Plaza did not let me down, the staff were very friendly and helpful the room was twice the size I was expexting with excellent views of the hudson river, the bed was very comfortable and I had no trouble sleeping in a new bed, the bathroom was nice with a lovely shower and a reasonable shallow tub which made it easier to get in amd out the shower, I think the best thing about this hotel was the location, New York is definitely a walking city so being in the cetre of the action was great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank georgeafc
Thank you georgeafc for the fantastic review! We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time with us. We are glad to hear that the hotel was perfect for your travel needs and that all our staff provided you with great service. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your room and that you were lucky to have a room with a Hudson River view! We hope you were able to visit all the restaurants, shops, and attractions in the Times Square vicinity. There is always more to see and do in New York City so we hope to see you again!
Geoffrey Mills