“Great customer service at front desk”

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #199 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I checked into the hotel and asked the girl at the front desk if we were by an elevator. She said no and gave me and my son our keys. I get to the room and it is the first room next to the elevator. She clearly didn't care to check where my room was located nor did she care that she put my son and I in the only smoking floor in the hotel. My preferences clearly said I am a non smoker and that I was traveling with a child.
I went back down to the front desk to get a new room. The original girl who checked me in was gone and a woman named Evelyn checked me in. She apologized and made sure that I got a room that would meet my needs. She was pleasant and offered me free wireless access for the whole week for my troubles without me asking for anything. Another front desk clerk (Victoria) was there as well and they were both so pleasant and helpful anytime my son and I had questions or needed something. The two of them truly are an asset to the Crowne Plaza New York and I would stay there again because of them. The room was nice and met our needs, the Concierge staff weren't as pleasant as Victoria and Evelyn but were ok. I would definitely stay there again. Thank you Victoria and Eveyln! The bellman staff were also very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: There is an entire floor dedicated for smokers. Make sure you either request it or request not to b...
3  Thank Don H
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hi Don,

Let me start off by saying thank you for this review. I am so sorry that you were put on our smoking floor and near an elevator. We try and accommodate our guests as best we can but we don't want to accommodate them to areas or floors they don't wish to be on. I'm glad Evelyn and Victoria were amicable enough for you to be given the room and location you had requested. I will be sure to let them know this as well. Please do come see us again soon. We'd love to have you!

Warm regards,

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (9,897)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

As every review has probably already said, this hotel is in a phenomenal location, right in the heart of all the action of Times Square. You can't get much better than this!

We absolutely loved our corner room, with windows spanning the entire room, all the way toward the bathroom, providing a great view over the city. The room was crisp and clean, the bed was comfortable and treat basket they provided us was a nice touch.

My only real knock on this place was the staff. The man helping us at check-in wasn't helpful at all. He gave me the room key and walked away, without even telling us where the elevator was, or offering to get a bellman to help carry our bags. We asked a maintenance worker where the elevator was and he just said "over there" without even looking up or directing us. There never seemed to be anyone around to ask a question. It was definitely a busy time, and perhaps they were understaffed, but we were surprised at the inattentiveness displayed by the staff.

Other than that, this really is a great hotel in a perfect location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NoWayJoseCuervo
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Hi NoWayJoseCuervo,

Thanks for your review! We're glad our property was to your liking. We really are in the heart of it all and it's great for guests that want to step out and enjoy Times Square. I have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate department head and we'll sit down and dicuss this further as our staff is our greeting point of the Crowne Plaza Times Square. We hope to see you again very soon. Have a safe and happy summer!

Fatena Williams
Front Office Director

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I am a travel agent that booked a group into the Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan with 7 rooms for end of July in May. The service then was impeccable and the reservations staff did a great job of helping me decide the types of rooms and pricing.
When the group cancelled their NYC portion of the trip, I called the hotel reservation number and cancelled the rooms with the reservation agent but did not cancel all of them per Melia when she called to confirm that I was bringing the group to the hotel the day of arrival.
I was shocked that these reservations were not cancelled, however, when I looked at the confirmation numbers, they were still live reservations. Melia was gracious when I explained that I thought I had cancelled the rooms however, I could see they were not.
She told me that she would cancel these without a penalty due to the fact that she did show some rooms cancelled with reservations but not all so it may have been their error.
This was very generous of Melia and she has won a loyal travel agent and customer with her AMAZINGLY helpful attitude. She could have made this a major issue for me to resolve, however, she displayed a most helpful attitude and has won a client for life!
Thanks to Melia, as I have regular groups booking into NYC, Crowne Plaza will be my first suggestion to the clients as the most customer friendly hotel in Manhattan!
Appreciatively,
Mark

Room Tip: Ask for the Times Square side for the views!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank HospitalityExpected

Hi Mark!

Thanks for the wonderful comments! I'm sure Melia will be thrilled to read this. I'm glad you got the situation sorted out. We'll be glad to have you and your clients stay on site with us. We hope to see you here soon, as well! Until then have a happy summer and be safe!

Geoffrey Mills
Managing Director

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The hotel was just fine until we got to experience the management. We called for a wake up call on the first night. After we called we noticed there is a table tent that says if you don't get your wake-up call your stay that evening is complimentary. We kind of laughed that it would be cool if they didn't call and we got a free night (let me point out that we are NOT people who are always looking for a freebee at ALL, we were just commenting that it would be funny). Ironically, we did not get our wake-up call the next morning. It wasn't a big deal, we woke up for the conference in time anyways. However, we informed the front desk that we didn't get our call and that there is a sign that says if you don't, your room is comped. This seamed to be news to the person at the desk. Then we got passed to 4 or 5 different people and were promised that the manager would take care of the issue and to check back in tomorrow. Again, we weren't looking for a free room and it wasn't a huge deal that we didn't get our call, BUT if you put a sign out that says "if we don't call you, your night is free" then you should honor that. That's just good business. So long story short, our room was never comped. They did however give us 4 comp drinks... for three people.

When we got back i got a survey invitation, so I answered it honestly. I get a response "On behalf of our staff, we apologize for your concern. I have addressed your comment with our team members and we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future. Here's 45,000 points on your PC card as our apology." blah, blah, blah It's just insulting at this point. Don't set policies that you're not going to honor. Won't be staying with a Crown Plaza again just for the principle!

And hotel management, please don't bother with some cookie cutter response expressing your appreciation for my comments that you're not going to actually do anything about. That's just a waste of everyone's time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Hi LeahJ0327,

Let me start off by apologizing for your experience here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square. As you can imagine, we strive to provide the best service you can expect and we failed you in that aspect. My sincerest apologies. However, the 45,000 points issued to are equivalent to a free night at any of our IHG properties. Once again, that isn't an excuse to defend the service you received. I'd be glad to speak to you in more detail if you wish. You can e-mail me at Sabid@cptsnyc.com. Hope to discuss your concerns further.

Regards,

Social Media Manager

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Nice hotel though dated. We stayed on 38th floor and had good views of city and Hudson River, however room itself very dated, though comfortable. Central hotel, very busy but good area to be in. Breakfasts good though service very slow. Some staff on reception helpful and concierge service very good. I would stay here again, however would request a better room.

1  Thank kb_chapman
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Hi kb_chapman,

Thank you very much for your review. We're disappointed to hear you weren't 100% happy with your stay. We are currently going through a multi-million dollar refresh. On your return stay, please e-mail me at Sabid@cptsnyc.com so we may provide you with the service and room you deserve. Hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights at The Crowne Plaza and were very happy with our stay. The room was spacious and clean, check in was a breeze and we were so close to everything. We loved the location! I left an IPad in the room, called the next day, it was recovered and Fed Exed back to me. I was impressed with the honesty of the housekeeping staff, particularly Maria C Pucha for returning it to Lost and Found. Thank you to Al Valdes (security) for returning it to me. First class service from a First Class hotel. Well Done!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnsonFamily

Hello JohnsonFamily!

We're so glad you had a good time here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square. I'm glad we were able to get your iPad back to you! We're here to provide the best service we possibly can. We hope to see you again soon!

Fatena Williams
Front Office Director

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I decided not to stay at my usual hotel because when I was there a couple of months ago, they were renovating their lobby and it was a total pain. Instead I decided to give the Crowne Plaza a try based on a recommendation from a family member. The price was great, the location (near the theaters) was great, and the service was great (especially housekeeping). The room, unfortunately, was so-so. Seemed tired and dated, and the shower head was downright awful (sort of trickled water and dripped constantly). I still think they deserve a recommendation. Just have realistic expectations.

2  Thank Kdec_austin

Hi Kdec_austin,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We're so happy to hear about your stay. I'm disappointed that you weren't happy with your room. We're currently going through a multi-million dollar refresh currently, so you'll be impressed with our rooms very soon. We hope you give us another chance very soon!