Stayed from Mon 26th May to Saturday 31st May on the 8th floor facing 8th Avenue 2 adults and a young adult of 14 ( children only up to 12 in America apparently).
Chose this hotel after some investigation for a 5 day/6 night stay in New York for Broadway shows and the usual New York experience ( if there is such a thing )! Arrived by transfer from Newark Liberty Airport having got a transfer on arrival. We originally meant to get the sky train, but this was out of action for planned maintenance . There were extremely helpful people on on hand to arrange and a slick process a bit like 'Argos' where you were given a number which was called out when your 'ride' arrived, given two options and we took the more expensive (60$) but quicker time option (cheaper one was $52 but half an our longer). The only thing about this transfer was the minibus went to several places and took best part of an hour to deliver us in air conditioned comfort to our hotel, not a problem for us but could be more so if you are really tired or had a bad flight.
Hotel was efficient, comfortable and excellent in location a walk of 250m to times square . Subway is 100m away. Most theaters with in 500m. Central Park i about a 10/15 minute walk depending on your pace. The breakfast is a bit of a scrum later on, but is tolerable for anyone but the most impatient. One point they might like to consider is that they lay on free tea and coffee in the lobby 24hrs, but could really do with supplying small bottles of water as well, wouldn't cost that much, but would be really appreciated.
If You ask for a High floor facing 8th Avenue it was quiet enough, but with a great view of the street scene of New York ( see photo).
The room we had ( 2 queen beds) was spacious, clean and well appointed with a newish HD flat screen TV. The corridors look a little tired, but this does not detract from the feel of the place yet. One thing to note is there was no fridge in the room, but an ice maker 20 steps down the hall and the ice bucket in the room saved the day for the milk and wine we purchased from the over the road.
We had lots booked and I will go through this now, although this is not to do with the hotel, I will relate it to how the hotel location made it really easy.
Day 1 NY 9 hour shuttle tour- this you can pick up from times square immediately over the road and down 50th street. This was an excellent tour of the city on an air conditioned bus to see: grand central station, St Patrick's cathedral, the Empire state ( premium ticket), lunch in little Italy/China town, Wall street, the Statue of liberty ( pedestal tickets) and the poignant 9/11 memorial. Jack the guide was excellent and knew so much about NY.
Day 2 Wednesday went to the Museum of Art and Design ( 18$ per adult) near central park, the wind got up and got a bit cold so we took the tube down to 23rd street to pick up the High line, a park made on the raised old railroad along the west of Manhattan. We stopped off at Chelsea market and had a shop and some lunch, very nice. That night went to Majestic theater to see the Phantom of the Opera, excellent show ( had booked seat on telecharge before arriving), all worked like clockwork. Norm Lewis and Sierra Bogas were a triumph and delighted my daughter by coming to the stage door and signing autographs, ~300m walk back to hotel afterwards.
Day three Thursday took to subway to Brooklyn and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge ( about a mile) with excellent views of the south Manhattan skyline. Then went to the south street seaport and sat and watched a jazz band in the open air before enjoying the heritage views of ships etc. and then back to central park, walked across the park from strawberry fields and went to the zoo. Be warned central park zoo is one thing in America which is subtle... no lions, zebras, giraffes (aka Madagascar) just penguins, seal lions and snow leopards and a tropical house, that said, a lovely way to spend an hour or two.
Day 4 Friday Subway to China town to buy some 'tat' ( bags, liberty statues etc.) and then back to the Rockefeller Center and top of the Rock. If you only get to do one sky scraper view point on your trip do top-of-the-rock as it is made for viewing and far superior to the Empire state in its unbroken views etc. Tonight was Les Miz at the imperial, the whole reason for us being there, and a triumph at was too... Ramin Karimloo, our daughters hero, was fantastic and didn't disappoint , apart from not signing autographs due to a calf strain he had picked up ( We forgive him!).
Day 5 Saturday kicked around the Rockefeller center, 5th Avenue and times square for a spot of shopping and a sit in a bar off time square then a taxi (65$ all in) to JFK for a flight home.
This was a Marathon NY adventure, and the Hotel just made it really easy as a base. We cannot thank them enough for making it an easy, comfortable and welcome stay in NY. We would definitely use the Hampton again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best Times Square location with COMPLIMENTARY amenities including daily hot breakfast, Internet, fitness center, business center & more! Hampton Inn® Manhattan Times Square North is a newly renovated, contemporary hotel with ideal Times Square location that is steps from Broadway theaters, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, TKTS discount theater ticket booth, The Museum of Modern Art, Carnegie Hall and Restaurant Row. Located on Eighth Avenue at 51st Street in the heart of Times Square, the hotel is surrounded by many restaurants, lively nightlife, shopping and New York City’s best sightseeing. The hotel is close to all major subway lines, a few blocks from Jacob Javits Convention Center and Port Authority Bus Terminal plus is convenient to all (3) area airports.The hotel features 300 oversized, modern guestrooms each equipped with 32-inch LCD flat panel television, lap desk, large work desk with ergonomic chair and Cloud Nine, the Hampton Bed Experience. COMPLIMENTARY, HOT BREAKFAST is offered daily to each guest plus On the Run Breakfast Bags™ are available from the front desk Monday through Friday, for guests who are “on-the-go.” Additional complimentary amenities include high-speed lobby and guestroom Internet access, 24-hour Business Center, 24-hour Fitness Center, coffee and tea in the lobby 24 hours per day, local telephone calls from guestroom and complimentary USA Today® (Monday through Friday). Hampton Inn® Manhattan Times Square North also has a gift shop and full-service Concierge/Theater Ticket Desk onsite. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Valet parking is available. The hotel allows service pets. 24-hour Security onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TravelUp and Hilton Hotels Direct so you can book your Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Hampton Inn Times Square North Hotel New York City
- Hampton Inn Manhattan
- Hampton Inn New York City
- Hampton Inn Times Square North
- New York City Hampton Inn