“Great hotel, attentive staff”

Le Parker Meridien New York
Ranked #257 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The junior suite I had at this hotel was fantastic. The room was spacious, especially for NYC, and very comfortable. There was also a really cool entertainment center set up that allowed me to swivel the TV around 180-degrees from the living room to the bedroom.

What I loved most about the hotel was the attentive staff. Shortly after arriving in my room, I started hearing a sound that chirped every 60 seconds. A quick search of the room proved that the sound was not coming from the room itself. Based on past experience in my own home, my guess was that the sound emanated from a smoke detector that had a low battery. I went out in the hall, and ascertained that the sound was coming from the room next door. I called the front desk, and within 10 minutes, a maintenance person was at my door asking about the noise. He went into the room next door and replaced the smoke detector battery right away. About an hour later, the chirping started again, although this time it WAS in my room (I guess my battery had an hour more juice in it than the one next door). I made another call down to the front desk, and just like the first time, the maintenance person appeared quickly and took care of the problem. After that, my stay was very smooth and I had a great night's sleep.

Even though the noise was annoying and required 2 calls down to the front desk, the issue was not really something the hotel could control for, and I was really impressed with the service I received when I reported the issue. Not only were they attentive to my needs once I was in the room, but the guy who checked me in was also very courteous and wrote his name down on my check-in papers so I could call him personally with any problems. I appreciate this level of personal service and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel really gives value in the city of New York. Well-sized rooms with comfy beds and good bathrooms. Location is tops. Plenty of breakfast spots nearby.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Le Parker Meridien for a two nights recently. We had a nice price due to priceline. I was not overly impressed with this hotel though. Everything was nice, but there was no luxury in it. There were extra charges for using the gym, or the pool, a view was extra, staying in a higher level room was extra, etc. That being said, the room was clean and nice. The location was fantastic, we walked through Central Park each day we were there, were able to walk to both the Met and the Natural History Museum and found the subway very conveniently located as well. Just don't expect anything special from the accomodations... they are small and extremely basic.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

My husband and I visited Le Parker Meridien for 2 nights during St. Patrick's Day weekend. I got this hotel for $130/night through Priceline, an overall good deal in NYC. When I was assigned this hotel on Priceline, I was thrilled because we stayed here 2 years ago and loved the gorgeous indoor pool overlooking Central Park. I remembered that there was an additional charge to use the gym which was not ideal, but I was happy I could get a workout in the lovely pool.

We arrived at the hotel on Friday night, and were checked into a king room on the 20th floor. It was very warm for March, and I remembered that during our previous stay (in May), we had some issues with the room being too warm. So when we got to our room, my husband called the concierge and asked if there was a way to make the room cooler. We were told there wasn't air conditioning available because it was too early in the year. They offered to bring up a fan and/or open a window. We did request the fan, which was delivered quickly and also kept the window open. Unfortunately, with the warm weather, the room just didn't stay cool and we weren't able to get good rest either night.

The positive aspects of the room were the comfortable bed and that it was fairly large for a NYC hotel room. It was clean with modern decor. The bathroom was small, but that is typical in New York. The finishes in the bathroom were high end and looked nice, however, the tub was kind of bizarre as the bottom of the tub wasn't stuck to the floor. It bubbled up when I stepped on it. Also, the sink faucet was placed too far back on the counter so that the water barely made it into the sink. This is a small criticism that I probably only noticed because I design and remodel houses for a living, but clearly the hole for the faucet was drilled in the incorrect location on the counter. My overall thought on the room is that it would've been very comfortable and enjoyable if it wasn't so unpleasantly hot.

Our biggest disappointment came when we changed into our swimsuits and went up to the pool, excited for a swim, only to be told that the hotel now charges $15 per person/day to use it. We didn't have too much time to swim and therefore didn't think the fee was worth it, but also didn't want to pay just because we expected it to be free based on our previous visit. It just didn't seem right that there was a charge for both the gym and the pool. I would expect some free facilities for use at such a high end hotel. We originally planned to hang out at the pool a little before we left on Sunday, but without a free pool or gym to use, we decided to change our train home to an earlier time as it didn't seem worth it to spend the extra hours at the hotel.

Overall, I recognize that we still got a good price through Priceline for an upscale hotel on a busy weekend in New York. And our negative experience is partly due to our high expectations based on our last visit. I do like the hotel's location as it is a bit outside the insanity of Times Square. But I certainly wouldn't pay the regular rates or even use my hotel points to stay here in the future because of the room temperature issues and extra fees for the pool and gym.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Our recent stay at the hotel was disappointing. The room was small and there was no view and the temperature was quite warm and could not be adjusted.
Most unpleasant was the new, unadvertised charge for the use of the roof-top pool. While the aquatic director was lovely and accomodating, the charge for a brief swim was not.
We will not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a park view.
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Rooms are small and dated. Hotel charges extra for EVERYTHING (toothbrush, gym, pool). Thermostats in the rooms don't work and you have to call front desk to send up an engineer to adjust the temperature. View of central park for the room I had was very nice.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The hotel was absolutely beautiful from the lobby, to the hallways, to the rooms. We had a gorgeous view on NYC from our room. It is a perfect location...only 2 blocks from Central Park and close to many great restaurants and bars. The staff was so nice and helpful, especially the concierge Emily Achilles.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends