“A pleasant surprise...”
Review of Parker New York

Parker New York
Ranked #267 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 September 2012

My wife thinks I am a hotel snob, maybe. I booked the Le Parker Meridian because a friend was also staying there. I couldn't have been more pleased. Outstanding service was provided from the moment we walked through the lobby. Our room was ready and very nice with modern decor and a view of Central Park. The hotel was convenient to everything we wanted to do in NY and the subway was a short block away for the trip to the WTC Memorial. This hotel exceeded my expectations and we were 100% satisfied with our stay. The staff were friendly and helpful to two newcomers on their first visit to NY, the bar on the ground floor of the hotel had the best cappuccino, I thought I was in Italy.
Great stay, excellent service and best of all, one very happy wife.

Room Tip: Ask for room 3003, great views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Parker New York, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear Smosses,

Thanks so much for the amazing review! I'm so glad we were able to please you and your wife on your first stay with us. Knave, our espresso bar definitely has some of the best coffee in the neighborhood. We hope you'll be back for more!

Director of Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (5,705)

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I have had a wonderful experiences at this Hotel in the past but after the last two stays they are now off my list. The staff is very good at the desk and in sending someone to help with the air conditioning.(The air conditioner was dirty too.) The room was dirty, we had to go buy socks so our feet would stay clean. the carpets were stained. The bed covers had stuff on them and the cover sheet was not supplied on one of the beds. I hate to tell you what a bear blanket was like. The chair in the room had no table how do you put a drink or anything down. The TV has no movies or TV guide station. I could not wait to get out of that room and pay my 600.00 for the experience .

Room Tip: Pick another Hotel when told about the lack of the cover sheets, calling house keeping for a drink g...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Parker New York, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear Ann S,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that your stay was ruined by the condition of your room. I can assure you that what you described above is not the norm in our hotel and I have already had our houskeeping team look into the issues. Regarding in-room movies, just like VHS & DVD players, On-Demand movies have begun their trek to the technology grave. More and more guests travel with their own digital movies. According to USA TODAY's traveler poll in 2011, 81% of the 2,357 people who responded said they do not order hotel pay-per-view movies. So we will no longer offer pay-per view movies as we have moved to an HD cable feed with 70+ channels to choose from. I apologize we were not able to meet your expectations regarding this matter however, I would really love another opportunity to improve your current impressions of us. If I can be of any assistance for future bookings, please contact me.

guestrelations@parkermeridien.com

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Upon arrival we decided to see if our room was ready early and to our surprise it was ! It was nice to check in unload our bags and go sight see . We decided to ride bikes through Central Park . Great experience.I love Central Park !
We came back to the hotel to shower and change and saw all these people standing in line next to a curtain wall so I asked why was there a line and was told that is the famous hambuger rest !.We were hungry so we decided to check it out . Food was great ! small room but very good non the less !
Our Hotel room was very large on the other hand by New York Hotel room standards and the bathroom was also very nice size. Very modern and up to date !!!
I would love to come back and stay again at this hotel as they say location,location !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian L

Dear Brian L,

Thank you for the 5 star review! I'm glad that we were able to accommodate an early check-in and you were able to enjoy your time at Central Park. Please come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Nice location, always spotless, yummy room service food, fun quirky old cartoons and film clips shown in the elevators, cute bar area, entrances on both 56th and 57th Streets, modern, simple chic rooms, nice shower, soft fluffy bathrobe, soft fluffy white towels, blow dryer provided, good flatscreen TV and channels.
Over the years I've had some temperature problems. They don't tell you (and I tend to forget in between stays) that the thermostat which appears to regulate the room doesn't in fact regulate the room... you figure it out in the middle of the night when you're burning up and you keep turning the air down but eventually realize it's not changing. The only solution to it being too hot in wintertime is to open the windows. Unfortunately, when I try I can never get them open (it's usually in the middle of the night). But if I ever remember to ask when I check in, the hotel will send somebody up to open the window for me. Also be aware, they just don't tell you some things! For example, I found out from another guest at my most recent stay there is actually a pool on the property. I never imagined there was one, and they never mentioned it and I've stayed here regularly for almost 20 years! Would you believe in all these years of having me as a regular customer, they never once mentioned to me they are part of a rewards program I could have joined? Just found out about that today while staying at an entirely different hotel. I also didn't know until recently that they have a famous Burger restaurant on site, but it's unmarked and behind a sort of curtain and nobody mentions it to you or tells you about it. I found that out from a native New Yorker friend of mine. In their effort to be chic and hip, they act almost a little too chic and hip at times. (Like, if they have to TELL you they have a famous burger joint behind the curtain, then you aren't the kind of person they really want eating at the burger joint.) I believe they have a fitness center that costs extra to use. They have a small gift shop and bar area. When I forgot a toothbrush on my most recent stay I asked for one at the front desk but they told me I'd have to buy one at the gift shop. Then they confided that the one at the gift shop would be overpriced (which I appreciated) so I should go to Duane Reade (which I did). I've occasionally had a few problems. For example major construction on a visit in the past year meant a giant, and I mean really loud constant banging sound in my room. Upon checkout I told them how bad the noise had been. They seemed nonchalant and sort of shrugged it off. They didn't seem to care that I had a problem. There is a barber shop/beauty salon on the premises, though I haven't had occasion to use it. If you're taking a taxi around the city, don't go out the 56th St. entrance where you'll have to tip the bellman and get a cab that may be angry if you're not going to the airport. Instead, go out the back entrance on 57th St. and wave down a cab yourself. Great location. Walk to Central Park, try the campy diner Moon Rock Cafe on 57th St. nearby, lots of great eateries in 3-4 block area.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor (second bank of elevators). The lower floors can be noisy whether from str...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Mushroom1234,

Thank you for the review and for your return visits! It concerns me to learn that you've had issues with our temp control during several stays. Our heating/cooling units are controlled via a centralized system, which does not allow for individual control of the temperature. Above 68 degrees, cool air is supplied. Below 50 degrees heating is supplied. We are usually quite good at modifying an individual room to meet an individual preference. Our staff is on hand 24hrs a day to aide in creating the preferred room temperature for each guest. Please accept our apologies for the discomfort you experienced. Regarding information about the Burger Joint, rooftop pool and other amenities in the hotel, it was certainly not our intention to keep you in the dark. All of this information is listed on our website and we will soon be adding the information back into our guest rooms. Please reach out to me on your return visit so I can give you a personal tour of our hotel and everything we have to offer!

guestrelations@parkermeridien.com

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Physical location is excellent the room was very clean and tidy however communication from staff to clients was OK. They should explain the various benefits to platinum members ie. Where the gratis breakfest was served.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear ppasqua,

Thank you for your review. For SPG Platinum amenities, we offer a choice of an additional 500 SPG points, beer and pretzels from the minibar or coffee and croissants for 2 at our espresso bar Knave. I apologize that this was not properly explained to you upon check-in. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your stay overall and can hopefully take full advantage of the benefits we offer for your future stays. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Beautiful hotel in a convenient location between pretty much any subway stop desired and two blocks from Central Park and many museums. The park view room is fantastic, with stunning view of the park - a breath of fresh air from looking at the city! Service is helpful, but not outstanding, and although the furnishings are nice with some modern touches, you can also see the wear come through. Rates were lower than normal which made it a great value, may not recommend otherwise.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Dear LL137,

Thanks for staying with us! Aren't the views stunning? You need to come stay with us again when all the leaves are changing colors in the park. It's beautiful! Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

This was our third stay at Parker Meridian. We have also recently stayed at the Plaza, the Peninsula and Hyatt Grand Central. PM gets our vote hands down. The combination of its location near Central Park/Madison Avenue together with the hotel amenities (great hotel lounge "Knave," best breakfast in the City "Norma's," the Underground and Burger Joint) make this the ideal place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank kbhanson3

Dear kbhanson3,

Thank you for the amazing review! I'm thrilled that we are your favorite out of the many hotel options you have in NYC! Can't wait to have you back.