“Great location, excellent hotel”

Le Parker Meridien New York
Ranked #257 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great location, excellent hotel”
Reviewed 29 July 2009

This place is not a rat hole, as suggested in a previous review. I'm not sure what hotel that person was staying at.

The service here is outstanding - from the doorman, to the front desk attendants, to the bellman. Our room had stellar views of Central Park, and the room itself was clean, chic and comfortable. We enjoyed the pool area and the outdoor lounge deck, though they could do a lot more with the design of the outdoor area (it's hopelessly plain, though the star attraction is the view). Somewhat limited spa menu, though my husband loved his massage. The gym is fantastic - great group-ex studio, clean, modern equipment. A win!

Loved the richly decorated/Renaissance themed Nave, for delish coffees. My husband had a few beers at the attached Seppi's and enjoyed the people watching from the sidewalk tables.

All in all, a YES, we will return.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Clayton, Missouri
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I stayed with my sister for 5 days at the Parker Meridien and was very disapointed in the hotel in general. The staff tended to be rude, the restaurant where they serve breakfast had not been cleaned for a while, and some of the breakfast food was frozen - not fresh as advertised.
The self addressed card they gave me to rate their services was returned twice, who knows why.
F.S.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I am a big fan of the Parker Meridien. A gem within the Starwood portfolio in New York. What I like:

1) Service: I remember on my first night, checking in and I couldn't turn my TV on. I called the front desk, and explained that I tried the remote, pressing the power button, etc. and it still didn't work. The response was, "unbelievable, I will send someone right away." I liked that. I also remember observing one of the bell man's saying "yes captain," to the bell captain. I liked that air of professionalism.
2) The gym: not brand new equipment but huge for a hotel gym. Free weights, racketball court, yoga room, lots of machines, what not to like?
3) There are decent restaurant options in the area, and Burger joint in the lobby is actually a cool environment, which is rare for a hotel joint
4) Rooms are quite large for New York
5) Value: a lot cheaper than other Starwood properties in NYC

What could improve:
1) Beds: unfortunately just not a heavenly bed
2) Televisions: some of the rooms still have old CRT televisions instead a fancy new flat panel
3) Air Conditioning: too loud and I often seem to be cold in the room
4) NO LOUNGE: Starwood Platinums lament...
5) I don't understand why they don't just leave your bill under your door on the last day, you have to stop by the front desk on the way out. A strange inconvenience for business travelers.

Nonetheless I have stayed here four or five weeks straight so they must be getting a lot right to keep me from going to other options in the area.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank lac14
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and have had an excellent experience on each occasion. This is truly one of the best hotels I have stayed at in Manhattan. As an SPG Platinum member, the staff immediately upgrades me to a suite, and gives me access to the phenomenal fitness club with a top story pool. They truly know how to treat their guests, particularly frequent travelers.

The location is in the heart of the City, with walking access to most of mid-town's attractions, and within a few blocks of Central Park South, Carnegie Hall, 5th Avenue, and numerous other attractions.

Rates at the hotel tend to vary wildly based on the calendar, but careful monitoring of rates can get some good deals on a truly great hotel in a premium location.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Business_Traveler000
florida
Reviewed 18 July 2009

look at my pictures they speak for themselves.asked for 2 full beds and a low floor. They placed me on hold and contacted your hotel before hanging up with me.

Upon check in I was told there were only 2 twin beds and my daughter would have to sleep in a roll out bed. I said that was not acceptable so they gave me a Handicap room without telling me it was handicap.

I have never been in such a dingy disgusting room or hotel. Even your halls stink like mold. my daughter cryed for 1 hour because she could not sleep in that dirty sofa so my husband who has to have spinal surgery in the near future slept on it sideways.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2009

They "accept" pets, however, we felt like we were an inconvenience to the staff at Le Parker when we brought our dog. All we received was stares and repetitive questions about our dog, information we previously provided the hotel when we made our reservations. I have never dealt with such an unfriendly staff in my life at any hotel. We had to check out early due to an in family emergency and during check out the only thing the staff said was, "you won't be getting a refund." well, it was worth it to find out about this hotel and we will stay elsewhere on our return trips. I will not recommend this place to anyone with a pet. The location for Central Park was excellent and the room was ok but beware the sensitive mini bar and no coffee maker in the room. Starbucks was a life saver. The only friendly staff member we encountered was John D. who we exchanged emails with, prior to our arrival. Perhaps John D should be training the rest of the staff in customer service. Thanks John!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oscmj
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2009

in general i would agree with most of the other reviewers that this is a great hotel. i also got a nice discount on hotwire and was very pleased with the location and service. their health club is a real gym and definitely is worth $10/day; they even offer aerobics classes and a giant wii screen. the massage therapists at the spa are very good and worth a 60-minute booking.

that being said, here are a few caveats that may or may not influence your decision:

1. the curtains are sheer and the room becomes very bright at sunrise (6AM this time of year). if you can't sleep in a bright room this is not the place for you.
2. there is no in-room coffee and amenities cost a premium rate. for example, it costs $15 to press (not launder, just press) one shirt. they do provide a nice iron though.
3. the weight-sensitive mini bars at parker meridien seem to be more trouble that they're worth. i heard at least three separate complaints on incorrect charges while waiting at the front desk, and i myself was charged for two bottles of liquor when i never even opened the refrigerator door! my issue was complicated by the fact that i stayed an extra night and the bill for the previous three nights was closed out before i could dispute the charge. they told me someone would call me on monday to let me know if the charges had been taken off but no one did; the following thursday i called the finance dept myself and that person (mark?) said they would call me back but also never did. the charges finally were reversed but i still consider it unprofessional to say you're going to call someone back (twice) and then not follow through on it, especially if you're working at a four-star hotel. the bottom line: don't check out at the last minute.

that being said i still gave the hotel four stars and wouldn't complain if it came up again on a hotwire booking. i still think these issues should be brought to light as they might be dealbreakers for some.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business