“Nice, but not great, hotel with great location”
Review of Parker New York

Parker New York
Ranked #269 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Stayed just one night as I was hoping hotels, but was impressed. This is a nice, bordering great, hotel. Check-in was smooth. Junior suite was sweeeet. It had a Mad Men retro feel that was deliberate and not a consequence of aging. The bed was comfy and the location fantastic. Was given a late check-out, which made siteseeing easier.

NB: Enter from 56th street, the 57th street enterance is through a bar/restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (5,707)

Reviewed 5 October 2009

Having spent quite some time in Asia and been spoiled by the Asian hospitality, I recently stayed a weekend at the Le Parker Meridien in Midtown, complemetary of the SPG free night program. On arrival, the hotel has a nice lobby and the lounge bar looked charming. The front desk receptionist was quick to check us in and offered us an upgrade to the park view room. Everything pointed to a nice stay but our surpise only came when we entered our room after a 15-min wait for the elevator ride. The immediate reaction was as if we stepped through a time tunnel and entered a cheap motel room in the 80s. Everything in the room likes dated, and whose idea is it to keep the VHS tape player in the entertainment console?

Service was average, by NYC standard. But unless the hotel spends time and money on a complete renovation, I will just stay away, unless it is free.

1  Thank DPK-Traveler
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Great but not cheap. Very uptown.
Watch out for the mini bar, if you touch it, its get charged to your room.
If you find your owning parking, you'll save alot too.

Reviewed 29 September 2009

We stayed here on a free night from SPG. They upgraded us for free to a junior suite since our son was with us, but the only let down was the sofa bed was like all sofa beds, uncomfortable. I thought the room was great, loved the shower, the pool was very nice with a great evening view of the city. The burger shack in teh loby was very cool and great eats. All in all a very nice trip, particularly when it doesn't cost anything! But it would have been worth it if we had to pay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2009

So I had to go to Manhattan last week on short notice and the corporate travel dept. booked me in the Parker Meridien. I hadn't stayed there before so I looked it up on their website and liked what I saw. It's not the Ritz or the Trump Towers but certainly looked nicer than some of the chain hotels. When I checked in I was impressed by the staff. They were very friendly and courteous as well as very fast. After working all day the last thing I wanted to do was have a big hassle at check-in. My first impression was great. Unfortunately that impression didn't last upon seeing my room. My first thought was that it looked like a much cheaper hotel room that had gotten new new decorations. The furniture seemed cheap, the room and bathroom were both very small, and the "amenities" were a joke. The cordless phone lasted five minutes before the battery died. The iron never did heat up enough to iron a shirt. Ironically the A/C had the opposite issue. Even though it was set to 53 degrees the room never really got cool. The ceiling above the shower was covered in mildew. I'm sure that the in-room VCR was nice but unfortunately I left all my VHS tapes at home. I know that hotel prices in Manhattan are ridiculous but even taking that into account For $350+ I had hoped for a little more than a moldy ceiling and a panoramic view of the back alley. I know all hotel rooms look the same when you're asleep but for my money I would like them to look a little nicer when my eyes are open.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BroomVikin
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Pros:
Rooms are interesting, we had the junior suite which has a separate living room. Furnishings remind one of boutique european hotels.
Gravity Spa and Gym is awesome!
Norma is an interesting brunch experience, don't forget to make reservations for brunch.
The other french restaurant in the hotel is open till 3 am which is great if like us you reach at night.

Cons:
I must have gone on a busy day because usually a spg platinum member never can complain of service in a starwood property. Overall the staff seemed a bit cold and distracted - I asked for late checkout when I checked in, which has never been an issue at Starwood for me, but on the day of checkout they called few hours earlier to say we would have to checkout at the normal noon time. This was problematic as we had made other plans etc., but the staff did not have anything to say other than the fact that its always subject to change on the same day.
The room was billed as "city views" but all one could see was a tall building right in front of the hotel.
Overall the room is low value for your money.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I travel a lot and have experienced ups and downs with hotel customer service. Seems to me that it should be getting better in a down economy, not worse, so that the few travelers remain loyal. But this weekend's stay at the Meridien was an all time low.

Terrible customer service. Ineffective window glazing and paper-thin walls/celiings. Noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in. If you want to sleep, go elsewhere. If you want customer service, go elsewhere... these people don't care. A good 1 1/2" gap between the elevator and the floor ate my shoe. They refused to do anything about it. I asked for a quiet room... they gave me one facing the street right near construction which kept me up all night. The opposite side of the hotel faced another building but the front desk LIED and said that it faced another street so there was no point in switching rooms. i found out too late that this was totally untrue. Really, the only positive to this place is the restaurant Norma's, which serves the best breakfast anywhere (if you don't mind spending $80 for two people with no alcohol). And it's a good location, right off of 5th Ave. and just south of Central Park. But I won't be staying here again due to the terrible customer service from a hotel charging $500/nt. Oh yeah, and black mold in the bathroom did not add to the ambiance (see photo).

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business