“An overpriced and silly affair”

Le Parker Meridien New York
Ranked #256 of 468 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco
“An overpriced and silly affair”
Reviewed 9 November 2009

$500 per night gets you:

- No heat in the rooms unless the outside temp drops below 50-degrees (official policy). Try working or sleeping in 51-degree weather

- No included Internet access even if you have Starwood Gold or are staying in a suite

- Inconsistent rates - my colleague and I booked within minutes of each other for the same room, same nights, and got two startlingly different rates. They refused to match the lower one

- An over-priced self-service burger joint

- A pretty good breakfast place (Norma's)

Skip it.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank navalr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 8 November 2009

My husband and I went to NYC for a quick get-away without the kids. We were looking for something charming, up-scale, romantic and comfortable. Le Parker Meridien has none of these characteristics. The up-side is that it is an affordable, basic hotel in a good location with a great breakfast restaurant, cozy bar, and a popular burger joint off of the lobby. It would be a good hotel for a family traveling with kids, someone on a business trip, or a young people looking for an affordable, decent hotel. However, it was not what my husband and I had in mind for our relaxing get-away so we moved to The Lowell Hotel, which was exactly what we had hoped for.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmclerran
New York
Reviewed 8 November 2009

Beautiful modern interior design (if you like sterile Bauhaus style) but NO COMFORT! I’ve stayed at motels with more amenities than this pretentious joke of a hotel! The rooms have thermostats, but they are not operational during cold months when the entire building is heated up to sauna-like temperatures and the only recourse a guest has, as the manager told us, is to open their window (to the sounds and smells of NYC traffic) or let them put a rotary fan in your room (like sleeping with a helicopter) because the building is very old and doesn’t have modern temperature controls. One wonders if they make everyone freeze in the summer and offer space heaters to those who complain! Mattress was hard as a board. Maid service only made the bed and didn’t replace any used glasses or even empty water from ice bucket (which, incidentally didn’t include a plastic liner –Disgusting!). No coffee or coffee maker in the rooms and for those who pay more to stay on a higher floor for a better view, note there are no ice machines above the 32nd floor. Le Meridien is strictly for the fake cool poseurs and faux hip yuppie suckers who line up to pay big bucks for the hotel’s coffee made from “counter-culture beans!” How do you say “Give me a break” in French?!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Top shelf from check-in to check out. I always enjoy my stays at the Parker Meridien. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. Want to know anything about todays events and sports just ask the doorman!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 4 November 2009

The worst hotel experience in my life.

The bed was similar to a slab of concrete (with a pillow top). We could not sleep in the bed.

The roll-away bed that they provided for my son was made in the early 1920's, the plastic mattress had no padding and the metal springs were protruding thru the cover. It looked more like a torture device than a bed.

We could hear the elevators serving the upper floors of the building all night.

The door key does not fit into the pockets of any male clothing.

The bathroom is a well disguised joke.

The Internet access is archaic.

The manager is one of the rudest people imaginable.

It is so French in so many (unimaginable) ways.

I would give this hotel a zero if it was possible except for the fact that some of the staff were actually nice (not the French ones).

The last time something like this happened to me I was staying at the old Ritz in Boston. The next morning the manager said that we did not have a "Ritz Experience" and he did not charge us for the room. That is the way to run a hotel! There are so many other good hotels in New York you do not need to abuse yourself here.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Long Island
Reviewed 3 November 2009

One August weekend I decided it was a "Let Mommy relax and take the kids out" weekend. Use my SPG points and booked at the Le Parker Meridien for one night and one of the W hotels in Manhattan for another night.

Got in a bit late but after getting into one of the coolest hotel rooms I have ever stayed (I travel around the world and have nearly 130 nights a year on the road, this was truly modern room). It was perfect for my Daughters age 6 and 9. They liked the swivel TV in the middle of the room. Which was good when it was Dads time to take a shower and change for bed, they could still watch Nick at night with out dad crossing the screen. We ordered a super dinner from room service, I called them up and explained my situation as far as my youngest desire to eat Mac and Cheese. Up came one of the best Mac and Cheese platter that my Daughter loved and couldnt finish since it was so big (total bill was up there but for NYC and the look on my Girls faces, well worth it) Anyway all I 'll say is it was worth every cent for that room service call.

The indoor pool on the roof was awesome, the only bit that got me worried was when we went up to the sun deck and looked over I expected at least a safety fence or a ledge but there was none so it freaked me out a bit with my kids. I kinda kept them away but I could see a problem kids are not well behaved and reckless. Regardless it did offer some breathtaking views of Central Park and both the east/west sides of the Park and City.

I am sure the following will sum up our stay, we also stayed at one of the trendy W Hotels in Manhattan which for Adults is great but soon into that night at the W, both my Daughters begged me to take them back to Le Parker Meridien Hotel.

As my little one keeps saying to this day...."Remember when we stayed at that hotel with the pool on the roof and the great food in the room, can we do that again, it was AWESOME Dad".

Thank You Le Parker Meridien Staff for making this Dad the Hero that weekend.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Where do I begin? Upon checking in to the hotel, I was placed on hold for an hour just to get my internet working for 17 dollars/day!! No joke. Please believe me. Nobody would help us until one hour passed then finally they sent someone up to our room. The internet is still on and off and we are still paying 17/day for this. We woke up the next day to what we thought was the famous NORMAS breakfast delivered to our room. After eating the so called famous pancakes and orange juice for a total bill of 80 dollars for two, we found out that the breakfast didnt even come from NORMAS!! It came from the room service kitchen. This hotel is way too overpriced for what it is. It is overpacked, the service is awful and the staff is rude. We spent about 400/night here and will never be back. We have been treated better at a two star hotel! God forbid you need anything at this hotel, nobody will be there to help. Overall TERRIBLE experience. This hotel should be charging no more than 150/night! And let me finish with their so called famous rooftop pool. It is COLD, awkward, and unenjoyable. There is a guy who sits there and unhappily stares at you while you swim. If you want to stay at this hotel because of the pool, dont becasue its not what its hyped up to be. No hot tub, no sauna, nothing enjoyable here. The only thing Im looking forward to in this hotel is to be checking out tomorrow morning. P.S. our IT guy by the name of Nick from Data Valet was the only nice person who helped us but isnt even with the hotel!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business