“Goodbye SPG, Hello Hilton or Holiday Inn”

Le Parker Meridien New York
Ranked #259 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 January 2010

I have spent way too many stays and way too much money at Starwood. However, once you attain a certain status level at a chain, you would hope it meant something.

If you are a Platinum or Gold SPG, then this hotel will be painful. I dont even think they acknowledge these levels at the hotel.

1) No one tells you that the gym fee doesnt apply.
2) There is no water in the rooms
3) There is SPG line
4) There is no welcome amenity

If you have status stay at the W or Westin, dont stay here. Im stuck in a Doubletree in Spokane, WA right now; it has more luxury then the Le Parker.

In fact, my stay here combined with my stay in Kauai have convinced me that another chain is the way to go. So, I am leaving SPG with my 100 yearly stays for another program.

Reviewed 5 January 2010

This is a different kind of review. I did not stay there, but did reserve 3 nights stay in Dec. '09. My trip was cancelled because of the snowstorm that hit the east coast - flight out of Indianapolis (my starting point) was cancelled.
Even though my trip was cancelled because of the weather, Le Parker Meridien chose to charge me one night stay. I found this absolutely unbelievable and received no answers to my email/phone voice messages left to the hotel about my concerns. Even a appeal to Starwood, the corporate entity, fell on deaf ears.
This must be a nice hotel. It certainly seemed nice enough for me to book it site-unseen for my trip. However, this lack of customer service tells me a lot about the people in charge. Obviously I will not attempt to stay there again; there are many nice hotels in New York City.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lewwallace
Reviewed 4 January 2010

My sister and I spent a night at the meridien on Christmas night so for our anual shopping trip in NY city. The person who checked us in was very unfriendly, almost rude. That was the least of our problems.
My sister discovered she had bug bites all over her neck, back and her arms the next day. They were bed bug bites!!!!! The room appeared clean so we didn't bother checking under the sheets. Big mistake!!!
We wrote to the hotel and they said they inspected the room and found no bugs. Even if they did, I'm sure they wouldn't tell us. We would never go back there!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
10  Thank l0ve2travel2010
Reviewed 4 January 2010

A well placed hotel in a quiet oasis but close enough to the hussel and bussel of central Mannhatten.Ideally suited for Central Park, which is just three blocks away. Even the standard rooms are spacious and elegant and the service was exceptional, with the staff being polite,helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thepostie2010
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We were snowed in just before Christmas time and had to book last minute and Hotwire put us here, which was catty-corner to the hotel that we were staying at. We LOVED it!.

Michael at the front desk was especially helpful. We were celebrating our 24th anniversary on this unexpectedly extended trip, and although we had to move mid-trip it added to an already wonderful experience. He arranged for us to have an early check-in (12:30) and we had a spectacular view of Central Park. Room 3307.

This hotel is WAY nicer than the earlier one that we were at (Park Central), which wasn't bad. The room is larger, the bathroom much larger and better decorated with the nicer tubs and tile and vanity, etc. It had a TV on a rotating consul with flat screen. (See pics) The linens and towels were of very high quality. The bedding and bed very comfy. I have absolutely no suggestions for improvement, the room couldn't have been better. The location is ideal, adjacent to Carnagie Hall, less than a block from the metro, one block to 5th avenue and the shops and 10 min walk (or less) to Rockefeller Center, Radio City, and Time Square. We didn't hear any traffic below, and not nearly as many sirens as our other hotel. The room seemed much quieter.

You will pay for everything extra, meaning local calls, wine glasses (we wanted to enjoy a glass of wine in our room one evening while admiring our view), internet, etc. Since we used hotline, that was easy to overlook, but if we paid $500 night I may not have been as willing to overlook......and perhaps, they may have been included, who knows. No problem. We truly enjoyed our stay here and would HIGHLY recommend this hotel.

2  Thank kindredspirits
Reviewed 28 December 2009

We went to Le Parker Meridien for our wedding anniversary. We were upgraded to a room facing Central Park, which was lovely. Our guest room was spacious and clean.

I was displeased with the gym. Don't get me wrong, it was nice. However, the hotel charges $10 per day, PER GUEST, to use the fitness facilities. While I have no problem paying for a fitness class, it seems absurd to charge someone to just work-out. While the management says this hotel gym is superior to most other gyms in NYC, I'd have to disagree for the sheer fact that hotel guests are made to work out in a lesser quality part of Gravity (the name of the gym). That is, while you can use the cardio on the first floor of gravity, strength training for hotel guests happens on the second floor, where the machines aren't as nice.

Norma's has a great breakfast selection, but we spent $60 for oatmeal, cereal, juice, and milk. They even charged us $2 for the milk that goes into the cereal. That's just not right!

This is a lovely hotel, but be prepared to open your wallet while you're here.

2  Thank shootingstarbeauty
Reviewed 27 December 2009

I traveled with my wife and 2 little boys to NYC in early December and we stayed at the Le Parker Meridien because the St. Regis was booked.

First the Good:

1. Location, Location, Location....the hotel was close to absolutely everything we wanted to visit.
2. The rooftop indoor pool was a real treat that my boys absolutely loved. Imagine their thrill to see it snowing/storming outside while enjoying a warm pool.
3. The staff was reasonably attentive and informative.
4. The breakfast at the restaurant was excellent--and for NYC not too expensive.
5. The burger joint was AWESOME!!!!!!!

Now the bad.
1. Our 1 bedroom suite was in need of an upgrade, they actually still have CRT televisions in the room.
2. The "minimalist" suite layout was awkward, we just couldn't settle in and get comfortable.
3. The sofa-bed was a disaster--it just didn't work right--which led to a couple of sleepless nights....

Will we go back to the Le Parker Meridien?....---maybe.---