“Great hotel....not so friendly front desk staff”

Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #330 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 January 2014

When my husband and I checked in late last night to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary, we were excited to receive your signature warm cookies. During our check-in process, I happily asked the front desk clerk if cookies were available at this late hour and her response was "your hungry I see"? This comment was completely inappropriate to make to a hotel guest. So I happily reminded her that your signature cookies are part of the check-in process. My inquiry had nothing to do with my hunger level. Bad way to start our stay @ this property. But of course, our room was wonderful. We love staying at this property in January to celebrate our anniversary. The front desk staff missed a great opportunity to entice us to return next January.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Nadria B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Nakiadj,
Thank you for taking the share your experience with us. I do sincerely apologize for the comment made by the front desk agent and that you were offended by this. I will use your comments to improve the service that we provide for our guests and do hope that you will reconsider staying with us again in January so that we can make of for your past experience.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I woke up with bites on my leg. Security moved my room, took pictures. The next day they reported that they had an exterminator check the room. Nothing was found. That still does not explain the bites on my leg. The manager could have followed up with an apology. The only person I heard from was the head of security with the report. I guess this hotel or Hilton does not want my future business.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank 45,202

Dear 45202,
Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience that you had at our hotel. Our guests’ health and safety is extremely important to us and we focus a great deal of our time and attention on them. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and correct any pest situation that might occur. We have shared your comments with our staff and promise the situation has been successfully addressed. We hope that you will consider staying with us again so that you can let us know how we are doing.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here this past July. We had been wanting to spend a long weekend in New York for quite some time but most hotels in New York are unreasonably overpriced. When we saw a deal on Groupon for just a little over $200 per night (including taxes), we decided to give it a chance. A decent hotel for around $200 in New York City is almost unheard of but we were very pleasantly surprised.

Along with the Groupon, we got a free house wine/beer at the hotel bar, which gave us something to do before heading out for dinner one of the nights. There were also delicious chocolate chip cookies waiting for us in our room. My boyfriend went to the front desk one day asking for another one, and they gave him a whole tin!! The rooms were very new looking and immaculate. I'm a little OCD so for me to say that, it has to be true.

The best part of this hotel was the location!! It was right next to the subway and we were able to get anywhere in no time! It was also within walking distance to Grand Central Station, 5th Ave shopping and Times Square (although a far walk I must admit). If you don't mind a little walking, it's perfect. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Nadria B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Julierae9,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We appreciate the feedback and are happy to know that you had a great stay with us and loved the accommodations provided. We hope you will afford us another opportunity to cater to your lodging needs.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for business location. I felt the room was underwhelming with no in room amenities ( no robes, coffee, mini bar etc). Somewhat dated decor. Good checkin and friendly doorman. Didn't use the bar or restaurant but they looked nice.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Carync6

Dear Carync6,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We will keep your comments in mind as we aim, to improve the services and amenities that we provide for our future guests. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We have stayed here 29 Dec to 7th Jan. Average hotel room, nothing fancy but very good staff. Always been very helpful with everything, that average poor condition hotel room turned out like warm homely feeling.. I am very pleased from service. I like to thanks to all staff and especially girl at the reception her name was Sylvia. Perfectly located, close to everything.
My daughter love the warm welcome cookie..
Definitely recommend to everybody!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Nadria B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Feray O,
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion us regarding your most recent stay. I will be very happy to share your kind comments with Sylvia as I am very sure that she will be very appreciative. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests feel at home with us. I hope that you will consider our property as your hotel of choice the next time you are in the area. Thank you for staying with us and for the recommendation.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Close to the subway, key attractions and Broadway, clean and reasonable price. Lobby always full of guest looking for free Internet. Service good and average food but really expensive. Good value for your money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Sergio D,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback with us. We are glad to hear that you loved our location and we hope that we will see you again for future visits.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed on New Year's day and the lobby was constantly quite busy which maybe explains why the customer service wasn't great (people were friendly, just not very organised).

The location was great, the price was not too bad and the room was very nice indeed, it had absolutely everthing we needed. There's plenty of places nearby for breakfast.

However staff seemed disorganised and some times uninterested in a good level of customer service though the girl that registered us was very friendly. Later when we checked in we weren't given the famous free cookie - a very tiny detail but did feel a bit funny when everyone in the lift was eating theirs and it is normally the first thing people say when you say you stayed in a Doubletree.

Room service wasn't on when we checked in around 330 which was odd but I was allowed to walk down to the bar and bring drinks back up so it wasn't a big issue. As we were checking out I realised I must have left my hat and gloves in the bar the previous night and phoned down to ask if they had them - I had to re-explain myself to 2 people and they said they'd phone back. When they hadn't done so in 15 min (we were waiting to leave) I just went down and searched the closed bar myself and found them.

Wealso had to pay to leave the bags in a room until we could check in and again the next day after we checked out until our train. Only $8 total but this is normally free.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Aileen L,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback with us. I apologize for a few service mishaps that you encountered during your stay with us. We will use your comments to improve upon the service that we provide for our future guests and to retrain our staff. I am very sorry that you did not receive our famous cookie upon check in, you are absolutely correct, this is standard at check in and I will follow up with the team. Thank you for staying with us, I do hope that you will afford us another opportunity to cater to your lodging needs so you can let us know how we are doing.