The room was fine and the location very convenient for my weekend stay in Manhattan.
I was quite surprised that there didnt seem to be any staff readily available to check nonHIlton Honors members in. I had to wait quite awhile for someone to show up to check me in. Overall there doesnt seem to be enough front desk staff. And my biggest surprise was when I dropped off my bags to leave in storage for the day after checking out, I was told by that the cost is $2 per bag, $1 at drop off and $1 to collect. I have never seen such a practice, and the other couple checking in bags as the same time as me also seemed quite surprised. The staff then pocketed the money wiithout a word, leaving me to wonder whether this is an official charge or just a mandated tip. I normally tip anyways, but the forced nature of this obligatory tipping was rather distasteful to me. When I returned later In the day to retrieve my bags, the busboy pocketed the money without a word. I haven't stayed in Manhattan for a few years, and wonder if this is common practice to charge for storage of bags for a few hours. Not a big deal, but it definitely solidified my view that customer service doesn't seem very important to this hotel's staff. I left this hotel to stay at the Hampton Inn Newark to catch an early morning flight the next day (Hampton Inn being another part of the Hilton chain) and the hotel staff there were friendly and went out of their way to provide excellent customer service. What a marked contrast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Metropolitan New York City is a modern, landmark hotel conveniently located on Lexington Avenue at 51st Street, in the heart of Midtown’s luxurious East Side. The contemporary hotel recently completed a $25 million dollar revitalization project which included all-new guestrooms, suites and meeting space. With it’s ideal Midtown location, the hotel is steps from fashionable Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue shopping, Bloomingdales, the United Nations and many upscale boutiques. Times Square, Broadway theaters, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park, St. Patrick’s Cathedral and The Museum of Modern Art are all within walking distance. Grand Central Terminal and all major subway lines are just a few blocks from the hotel. Penn Station/Madison Square Garden and Port Authority Bus Terminal are accessible via quick taxi ride and the hotel is convenient to all (3) area airports. Each of the hotel’s 764 brand-new guestrooms (including 22 suites) features all-new carpeting, furniture and wall treatments plus brand-new bathrooms. Modern in-room amenities include high-speed Internet access, Sweet Dreams by Doubletree Sleep Experience, 37-inch flat-screen television, MP3 connectivity and brand-new work desk with ergonomic chair. Onsite hotel amenities include a newly renovated lobby with spacious seating area, trendy Met Bar lobby lounge, Met Grill (open for breakfast), complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center, complimentary 24-hour business center, Concierge/Theater Ticket Desk, gift shop, salon and barber shop – all onsite. The hotel has 14,000 square feet of brand-new event space. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Self & valet parking is available. The hotel allows pets, with a $50 pet surcharge per stay (under 60 lbs). 24-hour Security onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, LoveHolidays, Superbreak UK, Agoda, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree New York City
- New York City Doubletree
- Doubletree Metropolitan New York
- Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel New York City