DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #329 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The room was fine and the location very convenient for my weekend stay in Manhattan.

I was quite surprised that there didnt seem to be any staff readily available to check nonHIlton Honors members in. I had to wait quite awhile for someone to show up to check me in. Overall there doesnt seem to be enough front desk staff. And my biggest surprise was when I dropped off my bags to leave in storage for the day after checking out, I was told by that the cost is $2 per bag, $1 at drop off and $1 to collect. I have never seen such a practice, and the other couple checking in bags as the same time as me also seemed quite surprised. The staff then pocketed the money wiithout a word, leaving me to wonder whether this is an official charge or just a mandated tip. I normally tip anyways, but the forced nature of this obligatory tipping was rather distasteful to me. When I returned later In the day to retrieve my bags, the busboy pocketed the money without a word. I haven't stayed in Manhattan for a few years, and wonder if this is common practice to charge for storage of bags for a few hours. Not a big deal, but it definitely solidified my view that customer service doesn't seem very important to this hotel's staff. I left this hotel to stay at the Hampton Inn Newark to catch an early morning flight the next day (Hampton Inn being another part of the Hilton chain) and the hotel staff there were friendly and went out of their way to provide excellent customer service. What a marked contrast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susumom
Nadria B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Susumom,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is regrettable to hear that you did not enjoy your most recent visits with us. I apologize if the gratuity charged for checking your bags was unsettling. However, our policies/procedures are consistent with many hotels within New York City, we periodically review our policies & procedures to ensure our guests are getting the best experience, we value your feedback and will take it into consideration. Please be assured that I will work closely with the team to ensure that we are providing the best service for our guests. We thank you for staying and sharing your review and hope to see you for other visits so that we can better serve you.
Nadria Buchanan- Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,163)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Very small bathroom and the door had so many coats of paint on it that it would not close. We couldn't get into the closet because there was a chair in front of it. The people at the check in counter were very unfriendly and seemed to be in a hurry to get rid of us. Definitely not worth the price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rickyjk

Dear RickJk,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I am sorry that the size of our guest rooms did not meet your expectations and that you sound the front desk staff to be surly. This is not the kind of service that we want to convey to our valuable guest. We do hope that you will reconsider staying with us again so that we can provide the service that you expect and deserve. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Rooms were a tad smaller than expected but perfect for our needs. Big bed and big TV was all that was needed after long days exploring the city. Location was relatively central. It is close to Fifth Avenue (5-100 mins), short walk to Rockefeller, Bloomingdales and 20 minute walk to Times Square. The Chrysler building was also visible from our room and only a short walk away if you want to see the highly recommended and infamous Art Deco lobby. The breakfast available was plentiful as is available in most Hilton Hotels so overall cannot complain about our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear PhilDavis23,
I am very pleased to hear that you had a very pleasant stay with us. I hope that we will see you for many more stays.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed one night on business and had a good experience. The 51st street subway stop (4,5,6 lines) is right on the corner and an easy walk to the 53rd and Lex stop. For NYC hotel rooms the size is pretty good. Being tall, I always love hotels that have high shower heads and this one does.

When I checked in my room wasn't ready. I was told there was a room available but it was next to the elevator. I agreed and took it. In less than ten minutes I was back at the front desk asking for a new room. They had others that had become available and moved me with no problem.

Continental breakfast comes with my room due to my hilton honors level. The restaurant was fine and breakfast more than adequate. The kind man kept my coffee cup filled so that made for an excellent morning in my book.

If you are looking for an east side property this is a solid choice.

Room Tip: Rooms that end in 23 share a wall with a bank of three elevators. Avoid these rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear DavidG2010,
I am so happy to hear that our location worked out for you on this trip to the Big Apple and that your stay was wonderful. We hope that there will be many more stays with us.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Given this experience it looks like the Hilton brand as gone way south. It's a convenient enough location-right across the street from Grand Central and just as bustling. There were bags of garbage in the halls and some molding was actually attached to a door frame with duct tape. The room was thimble sized--no fridge and tiny window with view of squalor. Carpets stained. Bathroom definitely not thoroughly clean. My clean cut teenage son was treated rudely by guard when he tried to enter elevator. In all fairness, except for laconic check in clerk, the rest of the staff did greet me and wish me a good day when we passed in the halls. Still, I think there are much better properties in the same price range.

Room Tip: Yes. Choose one in another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank filmclip

Dear Filmclip,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us via TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies on behalf of myself and my team for the experience you had with us as it relates to the cleanliness of the rooms, the hallways and also the experience with the security on duty. Please be assure that we take all guest concerns seriously and will keep them in mind as we strive to provide the best service for our guests. We hope that you will stay with us again so that we can better serve you.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I came to this hotel thinking it will be better than expected because it's a recent renovated hotel AND it's the DoubleTree. I've always loved the DoubleTree and always had a superb experience so I didn't think this time would be any different. On top of that, I am a Hilton Honors member. First, we arrived earlier than the check in time, which was 10AM, so I knew better than to be snooty and say I want a room now. I parked my car in the garage for $43 for 24 hours, which is high, but afterall it is NYC so it's expected. Next, I went to the check in counter and told them "I know I'm early, but I just wanted to make sure you all knew I was here so that you didn't think I am a no-show." The lady that took care of me was nice and smiling, but after I was finished and she told me to come back around 3PM when the room will most likely be ready, she didn't hand me a cookie. I mean, I get that it sounds stupid being upset about a cookie, but that's DoubleTree's purpose. That's their trademark and what they are known for. The warm chocolate chip cookie. I was saddened and so was my husband that loves their cookies. We didn't ask though because it's stupid to sound like I'm "begging" for a cookie. Then, I wanted to check in my bags so I wouldn't have to walk around NYC with them while I wait for my room to be ready. The guy by the check in counters didn't seem like he wanted to help me at all. At first, I was thinking this is a complimentary thing because NEVER have I ever had to pay an amount dropping it off and then paying another amount when I pick up (Especially at the DoubleTree). It was 3 bags total so it was $1 a bag. The guy says it's $3 now and $3 later. It's just $6 total, but what was amusing was when we came back to pick up the bags, they guy didn't even ask for the $3 later. So the guy that originally took our bags had jipped us for his own means. I understand you being the "bag boy" means you probably don't make that much money, but at that point, you don't lie to people just to get a few bucks out of them. I should've said "show me in your policy where it says I have to pay $3 now and $3 later to check my bags in." But I didn't. I'm giving 2 stars because of the room being clean and that is all. The whole ambiance of the staff was just not happy and friendly. They seemed like they were struggling putting on a face. I understand that I came during Memorial Weekend, but if you're not happy with what you're doing, don't work there nor work in the hotel and tourism industry. They're better off without your attitudes and gloomy faces.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Thanhnhit,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I can make no excuses for the experience you had with our staff during your stay. I agree with you that this is not the industry for the gloomy faces and attitudes. Please be assured that we will keep your comments in mind and address it with the staff. As it relates to charges associated with luggage storage, there is a cost; it is $2 per bag. You pay $1 when you leave the bag and the other $1 when you retrieve the bag. Our policies/procedures are consistent with many hotels within New York City. As we periodically review our policies & procedures to ensure our guests are getting the best experience, we value your feedback and will take it into consideration.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

hotel was very average. quite disappointed, didn't even have a coffee maker in the room and the water pressure is the shower was extremely low. this trip was part of a timeshare presentation, not a very good way to try and sell me a timeshare. I will say the location was great and the staff very friendly but wouldn't go back

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Diana S,
Thank you for sharing your disappointment in the amenities provided at our hotel. We apologize that we were unable to provide these during your stay but we will keep your feedback in mind for the improvement of our services. We hope you will reconsider staying with us again so that we can better serve you.