“All of the Hotel's staff, are fantastic”

Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City
Ranked #326 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“All of the Hotel's staff, are fantastic”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Booked the double tree for 10 days in NYC. Before we arrived I emailed the hotel to see if I could pay for an upgrade, and Bassem (who is the hero of this piece) upgraded us to a higher floor free of charge!
Reception was always happy and helpful, and the housekeeping service seemed happy to service our room whenever we left, day or night.

The only downside is the concierge, who are an outside company. A new person on the desk everyday, and don't even bother to ring because the phone isn't answered and messages aren't returned. We had trouble with ticket bookings, which I won't go into in detail, but luckily Bassem saved the day again!
Would return on business, probably for leasure too.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Nadria B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
DEar Pier M,
I am very excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Bassem was able to assist you on multiple occasions before and during your stay. I will certainly convey your wonderful comments to him and the rest of my management team. We hope to see you for many more stays.
Nadria Buchanan- Manager on Duty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this location for work related reasons. The room was nice although you could hear every car horn, fire truck, police car and EMT vehicle racing down the street. The bar and restaurant was far too pricey considering the overall cost to stay (over $900.00 for three nights). For example, it cost me $25.00 for two drinks at the bar. I was also charged almost $30.00 for breakfast and was automatically charged gratuity. The only thing the staff brought me was a cup of coffee and orange juice. I served myself and no one offered to run my check up for payment. If you're going to charge me that much for breakfast at least do more than just seat me, bring me two drinks and leave the check.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Rick R,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the comments and will certainly keep them in mind as we continually improve the services we provide. We hope to see you for future visits.
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Th only good memory I have of this hotel is the hot cookie provided on check-in. Whilst the location of the hotel is good, the rooms are very average, if not inferior to that. The bathroom as well as the room itself are worne out and desperately need refurbishing. Wifi is only available for a fee whilst this is nowadays provided free of charge in most of the hotels I am staying. Staff is very average as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Nadria B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Metropolitan - New York City, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Vacationjudge,
Thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit to the Big Apple. Please be assured that your candid feedback is truly appreciated as we continually try to improve our service offerings. I am sorry to hear of your displeasure with our rooms, I will certainly share this with our facilities team for their review. We thank you for staying with us and do hope that you will reconsider staying with us so that you can let us know how we are doing.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Jeju Island, South Korea
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a good experience, and Jennifer Taylor at the front desk was very nice, friendly and helpful. Also she is give me the very delicious cookies. So, I have favorably impressed by this hotel and Jennifer Taylor at the front desk.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Taesan L
Dear Taesan L,
Thank you for the extraordinary comments regarding the wonderful experience you had at our hotel and the service you received from Jennifer Taylor! I will share your comments with the rest of my management team and also be sure to recognize Jennifer for a job well done. We certainly hope to see you again for future visits. Thank you for staying with us.
Aliso Viejo, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Quick business trip to NYC. Experience and hospitality were of the highest order. Everything in this hotel was of the caliber that one would expect in Midtown Manhattan. Staff was very welcoming and helpful. I will be back again!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Bobby S,
I am very excited to hear of the exceptional service that you received from my team during your most recent visit. It is always a pleasure to hear form our guests , especially with positive comments. We look forward to many more visits so that we can surpass your expectations of service.
Rockland, Maine
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Booked 2 Delux rooms for elderly parents from china, total 6 people....3 in each...arrived and told that only one room was booked....needed another room so we purchased one...problem 2 single beds...no rollaways, no other room....called credit card company to verify That I was charged for 2 rooms, indeed I was but the hotel had reversed charges on one the day before we arrived...they denied this....said we could change I the morning.....Morning came a different person at the desk .....no sir you can not change your room, we do to have one......Never again Ever.....I heard later they pull this when they have over booked....Now you know....

Room Tip: Try another hotel,we travel the world and recommend you skip the So Hotel
Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank James L
Dear James L,
Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially about areas where we can do better. We are sorry that we couldn't supply your reserved room type. Our front desk department goes through a detailed process every day to make sure that our guests receive exactly the room they expect. There are times when we won’t be able to have the same room available to guests extending their stays with us. Once again, we’re sorry for the inconvenience and hope that the next time your family travels to the area you’ll stay with us again.

Kent
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Now - for avid viewers of my other reviews, it won't come as any surprise that I'm very honest! We were travelling all around the East Coast before we ended up in Manhattan - somewhat by surprise. To cut a long story short, we had a very well planned out and executed itinerary and then there was a little rain in Mystic....so we decided that 3 days in The Hamptons with no sunshine guarantee might be a little dull and we re-routed into Manhattan! Good idea all round.....

I had to speak with the team at Central Reservations as we travel in interconnecting rooms wherever possible (and certainly knowing what Manhattan room sizes tend to me). They could see that the Metropolitan had interconnecting & parking, so we booked. We booked an King Room interconnecting with 2 doubles. All was well. The rooms were showing as interconnecting on the online booking system as well and I felt pleased.

We arrived in Manhattan relatively painlessly and parked in the hotel garage - which is an experience in itself!

Now the painful bit. Check in was a bit of an unprecedented nightmare. The queues were exceptionally long and there was a $2 fee per bag, per drop off and pick up.....this seems very unusual, but hey ho! We're HHonors members so we have a special desk - sadly with the most unhelpful member of staff i've ever had the pleasure of meeting in a hotel, and that's saying something. She the advised (still without a smile) that our rooms were not interconnecting because 'someone had stayed an extra night'. "Nothing can be done".

Cue the obligatory "can we speak with the manager please" and we had the absolute pleasure of meeting Missy. She is fantastic at her job and understood immediately the problem.

She went out of her way to resolve and certainly the resolution made for a very pleasant stay.

The hotel has been recently refurbed, lifts are very efficient, the staff (generally) very pleasant and good fun. There are a couple of really good breakfast places next door. The subway is right on the corner outside.

The hotel is centrally enough located that you can walk where you want to go - 5th avenue is very close, central park is very walkable as it the ESB.

Good location, just watch out for the Moody Margaret on reception.......

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Travelavectweens,
Thank you for the detailed review you provided of your most recent visit to the DTMet. Please accept my apologies for the experience you had at check in . We want all our guest to have a wonderful stay from arrival to departure and clearly we failed to do so. I am very happy to hear that Mitzie was able to make things right and accommodate your requests. We would be humbled if you decided to stay with us again so that we can surpass your expectations of the service you received . Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.