“Management have a lot to learn”

Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #88 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I recently reserved a long stay at the Affinia Gardens post surgery. The reviews on trip advisor, coupled with my previous experience at the Affinia Dumont and the Affinia Shelbourne led me to believe that this would be an excellent choice. I called a day before my arrival for post operative appointments to try to arrange a meeting with someone to view the room options for my two week stay commencing the following week. The office manager, Deanna Merlot was rude beyond words, in spite of sending me a personal email weeks before offering to do anything she could to make my extended stay more comfortable. Clearly this is a standard email that she sends out and based on my negative experience she has no intention of living up to her offer. It was clearly too much trouble for her to meet with me or to point me in the direction of someone that could. I followed up with a call to the hotel manager Philip Garcia but was unable to reach him so I left a voicemal explaining my experience with Deanna and explaining my situation and upcoming needs. I never received a response and decided that it would be best to chose another hotel. The fact that the manager of the hotel could not be bothered to return my call did not instill confidence in me that my longterm stay would be a positive experience. I would NEVER recommend the Affinia Gardens. The management and staff have a lot to learn when it comes to customer service. In no way does it compare to their sister hotels, particularly the Shelbourne where the management and staff are extremely caring and accomodating.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank mattbda
Write a ReviewReviews (1,948)

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Affinia Gardens was a great hotel to stay in New York, close to Central Park and all that surrounds. Kris is an absolute superstar, excellent friendly service, and he even managed to get my phone back that unbeknownst to me had fallen out of my bag in a cab. Made my day! :-) Thanks again, and all the best for 2013 to the staff at Affinia Gardens.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GLD646
PhilipSGarcia, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear GLD646,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your honest opinion of your stay. Krys truly is a superstar! He in fact, has managed to help a guest in the same way more than once and he always takes great pride and joy in what he does and we do too.

Thank you for staying with us on your visit to New York City.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

Stayed at Affinia Gardens for a second time while wife had surgery at Sloan Kettering. Hotel was A+. Friendly & welcoming staff, especially Caprice and Kris. Enjoyed the daily walk to the hospital, will definitely stay again on our next trip to NYC. HK

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank gee3311

Dear gee3311,

An A+, wow as this is exactly what our team strives for every single day. Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts here on trip advisor. Especially at such a challenging time, I am happy that our team, especially Caprice and Krys, made your stay memorable and comfortable. I hope you have the opportunity to stay again at Affinia Gardens, hopefully under better circumstances, as we look forward to the chance to welcome you back!

Reviewed 16 January 2013

We had a room with two double beds and a kitchen so we were able to make meals and snacks. My wife and daughter are suffering from coeliac disease so being able to prepare our own food was a real benefit as we can't just go to just any restaurant or vendor. Affinia Gardens is located near to bus, subway and Central Park so getting around was easy. Big thanks to Krys and Michael and all the team at Affinia Gardens.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter which floor you are on
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Brendan M,

Thank you for your kind review.

I am glad that our accommodating kitchens were great for your wife and daughter. Our central location makes it easy to get around the city as well as visit one of the biggest attractions in New York, Central Park. Krys and Michael have been our bellman for years and are a part of our A team . I will make sure to show them your mention of them. It will definitely bring a smile to their faces.

We hope to welcome you back to the Affinia Gardens soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

I choose this hotel based on the comments here and the value is great. It's hard to find such great value in New York Upper East side area with this space.

Our flight was a late one and we checked in really late. The staff was very welcoming and friendly, cheering us up from a long and tiring flight.

The room is very spacious and the bathroom amenities are very good. However, the maintenance of the room is possible for uplift, especially the Kitchen. The color of the room is very warm and homey, my finance left earlier in the morning for another biz trip and the staffs from the hotel was super helpful to arrange late check out for me and car transport for my finance.

We had a pleasant stay overall and will be back next time :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank J C

Dear J C,

It is such a pleasure reading your review. I can see that you stayed here based on other reviews and now you are contributing to other guests looking to find out about our hotel. With that being said, I feel your review is very honest and I appreciate that. Our warm and “homey” feel is what makes us unique.

My sincerest thank you for taking the time out to write this review. I hope you and your fiance will be back in town for a nice leisurely trip soon.

Sinerely,

Reviewed 13 January 2013

We had a great time at the Affinia gardens. The staff were helpful, and the hotel was easy to get to all the New York attractions and sites.
Our room was huge - we had plenty of space for two children and two adults.
would definitely recommend or stay again if going back to New York.

Room Tip: we stayed on the ground floor, which had the easy access bathroom which was convenient (no waiting f...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
PhilipSGarcia, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Dear Stephanie R,

Thank you for leaving a kind review here on trip advisor. I am glad to see you enjoyed your accommodating suite and unique location.

I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Affinia Gardens in the near future.

General Manger

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Great location near Central Park. Affinia Gardens has very good facilities. We like the idea of a studio flat as we can eat in or out. Plenty of good options locally for breakfast. There is a great Whole Food Market nearby (57thE) and a place called Organic Avenue on Lexington Ave between 54 & 55th. The staff are professional, polite and efficient . We would like to especially mention Kris (love the hat) and very bubbly Caprice and Johanna.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jaybee1947,

It was a pleasure reading your review about our lovely Affinia Gardens. I am pleased the my bubbly staff made such an impression. Krys, Caprice and Johanna were delighted when I showed them your comments. Reviews like this are what makes their day and inspire them to continue their exceptional service.

Thank you for taking the time to inform other viewers of your great stay.