“Wonderful stay”

Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #84 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I choose this hotel because it was directly across the street from the hospital where I needed to have surgery. I was very happy with the staff and the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was large, clean and very nice. The room service is from local restaurants and I could not believe how quick we got our dinner. I would highly recommend this hotel. Nice area as well.

Room Tip: It was my first time and I was on the 5th floor which was quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear SoniaSpa,

As General Manager of the Affinia Gardens, I would like to personally thank you for posting a review of our property on TripAdvisor. I do hope your surgery went well and that you are feeling better. Our location near the hospital makes it so convenient for our guests who are having surgery - we are pleased to hear this made it easier for you as well. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can be of any assistance in the future.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

My experience with Affinia Gardens goes back to when it was called Lyden Gardens. My parents lived near by and when my family grew we stayed at affinia where there was more room. Whenever we visited the city the very cordial and helpful staff here always made us feel like we were welcomed back and staying at our home away from home.. My parents passed away 2009. We had not been back until now. Wanted to start bringing the grandchildren to see the city. Would not stay anywhere else but here. First the big hugs we got they hadn't forgotten us. Thank you Sal Kris and hi to Michael whom we missed this trip. They are so helpful no matter how busy they are. The rooms are spacious, the kitchen very handy and well supplied,the bathroom clean with separate mirror and plugs outside for makeup and hair(a definite with teenagers)and the view we always ask for garden view. It's quiet and it is just far away from the crowded parts of the city,but you can get a cab or a car or nearby subway ride to anywhere.. We always go to Silver Star for home cooked breakfast and any other meal you might want. Then dinner at Tony's near by too. A walk to Central Park easily! Can't say enough for the housekeeping staff who always speak fluent English and a smile on their face who leave the rooms so clean. A special thank you to our house keeper who found my daughter's ring and bag and the management sent them immediately to us. Thank you everyone for still making our stay the best! We will return!! Mrs. Karen Robinson

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen R
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Mrs. Robinson,

Thank you so much for posting your review of the Affinia Gardens on TripAdvisor. As the General Manager, I am so pleased to hear you have been a loyal guest of our Hotel since it was named the "Lyden Gardens". We have many guests who have stayed with us for over 20 years and we enjoy welcoming everyone back! On behalf of the entire team, we sincerely appreciate having you as our guest and look forward to welcoming your family back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We truly enjoyed our stay at this small boutique hotel. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and at home. The rooms are clean and spacious. It's not overly fancy, but it's comfortable and can't beat the price. Kris (the bellman) was fabulous! And Caprice couldn't have been nicer. We will absolutely come back to this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah M
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Sarah M,

Happy New Year! Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. As the General Manager of the Affinia Gardens I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I look forward to sharing your post with Caprice and Kris - and I agree, they are amazing! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Affinia Gardens in 2014!

Reviewed 23 December 2013

My family and I heavily enjoyed our stay at Affinia Garden Hotel, it was in the hard of the city among fantastic eateries and stores.

Since the duration of our stay was through cold weather, the hotel provided a fantastic service of hot drinks in the lobby along with free wifi and a TV.

The gym and other facilities were a stand out. The staff were very helpful and kind and those of which stood out to me were Carpice, Kris and Pedro who provided us with maps, recommendations and what ever assistance we needed throughout our stay.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank KimStan
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear KimStan,

Happy Holidays! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on TripAdvisor. As the General Manager of the Affinia Gardens, I am so pleased to hear that our service and location exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Affinia Gardens the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Four days in "Junior Suite" very comfortable and clean digs except two white flies flying and crawling in bathroom and warped carpeting next to bathroom door (room 702). Housekeeping staff all spoke fluent English and always wore a smile and conveyed a happy tune. Pleasant.

Front desk staff about 50-50 in knowledge of "how to get there from here", outside AM temperature, etc. but otherwise helpful and pleasant but nothing memorable.

BIG complaint (had same one in Peter Island Resort last year) came to light when I arrived home and checked Amex statement: A charge of $1741 made to our account on day of arrival (12/15). We paid complete bill as rendered on checkout amounting to $1501....room only with no add-on charges incurred. That was OK and expected. But the $1741.......???? Immediately called hotel (Friday 12/20) upon arrival home....spoke to "General Manager" who had English as second language only. Oh Sir....our "policy" is to "put a hold" on cards for full room charge plus our "estimate" of additional charges you MIGHT incur during stay. No Sir, we do not inform guests of this policy. (We do this Sir because we are afraid you might skip out without paying actual charges upon your departure......and ultimately Sir only charge your card for actual amounts incurred).

But Mr. General Manager, MY POLICY is NOT to allow charges or "holds" put on my Amex account without my knowledge and approval and I dislike INTENSELY any manager or clerk doing so surreptitiously (read sneakily without informing me....as though I'll stiff the establishment when I leave)
Mr. Manager...my policy (whether or not you know or approve) is NEVER to again frequent any place that has your (or any similar) policy regarding "holds" or charges not known to or approved by your guests. And I also suggest that you guys get a new formula for "guesstimating"
Incidental charges.....I had NONE yet you put on a charge/hold of $240. Sucks.....Mr. GM and any other policy makers at Affinia Gardens. No matter I guess 'cuz we won't' be back.

Charge of $1.50 even for local calls...nickel and dime stuff. Use your cell phone.

Merry Christmas to All....

Room Tip: Seventh floor was redolent with cooking odors during our entire five day stay
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jack R
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Jack R,

As the General Manager of the Affinia Gardens, I would like to personally apologize for the challenges you experienced during your most recent stay with us. I can completely understand your level of frustration as we did not effectively communicate that a hold is taken on your credit card upon arrival. Please be assured I have shared your post with our Executive team to ensure this does not occur in the future. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Affinia Gardens again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance or if you would like to discuss your experience in greater detail.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

From the momement of booking to organising our transfer to Penn Station, we were impressed with the personalised service provided by Deanna, Kris, Caprice and the rest of the team.

The location is a easy walk to Central Park and 5th Avenue as well as access to a couple of different subway lines. The surrounding area has a great variety of restaurants, supermarket and bakeries.

We are a family of 5 (3 kids under 10) and Affinia Gardens provided a great base for a memorable 4 days enjoying the Christmas lights and festivities in NYC.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Liz S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor. On behalf of the entire team at the Affinia Gardens, I would like to thank you for recognizing our high levels of personal service and I look forward to sharing your feedback with Deanna, Kris and Caprice! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Affinia Gardens the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Ignore the hotel's website. This place is no frills and little charm, a lukewarm staff, street noise and, when I was there, construction. But if the location works for you, the rooms are decent enough and you probably won't have any problems while staying there. Just don't expect anything too nice. In any other part of the country the rooms would be $100/night.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank marmaduketravel
AGGeneralManager, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear marmaduke travel,

As the General Manager of the Affinia Gardens, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. It is only thru feedback such as yours that we identify what we need to work on to ensure an amazing guest experience. I sincerely apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Please be assured I will be sharing your post with our Executive Team to respond accordingly. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Affinia Gardens if I may be of any future assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay in greater detail. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Affinia Gardens the next time your travels bring you to NYC.