“Great Hotel and Great Staff”

Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #88 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My family of 5 stayed just one night in NYC and this was the perfect hotel. The staff was very friendly and they even upgraded us to a larger suite. The front desk help (I think the names were Cafrice (sp?) and Sal) on Wednesday morning July 2nd was very helpful with luggage and letting us use the hotel bikes for a tour around Central Park. The hotel was clean and a perfect location to see Central Park and Times Square.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Eddie T, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear R H-

Thank you for taking the time to detail your stay with us. It is always a wonderful feeling to hear that we made your stay in New York enjoyable and easy. We agree that our room sizes are perfect for larger families. I will certainly pass on your comments to Sal and Caprice. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again when your travel brings you back to our neighborhood.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,949)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel is well located, the rooms are large and confortable. Most of the staff is friendly. But some of the staff is not. When I made the reservation it said and still says: “Now when booking your room online on affinia.com receive complimentary Wi-Fi during your stay.”. Not exactly. It covers only one device. I was with my daughter and we had 5 devices and I was charged 14.95 dollars a day for a total of 388.70 dollars even though I didn't connect any other devices. (I bought an unlimited Simm card valid for 30 days for 80 dollars). It took me an hour talking to a not so friendly manager (Mr.Pedro) to convince him to cancel the debt on my credit card which he had already charged without my approval. I have stayed in several Affinia hotel in Manhattan before and this was my first bad experience. I will not return to the Gardens.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank machadojr
Eddie T, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Machadojr-

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I know that my Director of Front Office has been in touch with you and that the charges you were concerned about were removed before you left property. I apologize if you felt this was not handled quickly enough and will speak with my Team about the matter. I hope you will return in the future to stay with us.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

What a wonderful place to lay your head after the go-go fun and pride of a NYC day and night! The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff was helpful and friendly. The rates were very reasonable. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Eddie T, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear aquatraxf15x-

So happy to hear that we were able to be your home base while you enjoyed the Pride festivities in NY! Our location does lend itself well to enjoying the city and I was glad to hear that you had a good time while a guest with us. We look forward to your next visit, but don't wait a whole year before you return!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We really enjoyed the Affinia. The suite afforded us a lot of room. Other than sleeping, we spent most of our time in the living area. The bathroom was small, but well-designed to maximize space. We were extremely impressed with the cleanliness throughout our stay. This is a great location. It was in walking distance of restaurants and other services. We lost a cell phone in a cab, and found a very friendly AT & T store right around the corner to get a replacement. The location was quiet and safe, but certainly not tame, since there are many UES attractions nearby.
The hotel personnel were friendly, especially the bell staff, and, among them, especially Michael.
I feel certain we will return on our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Roy H-

I would certainly agree that our rooms are spacious and allow for you to spread out and enjoy some quiet time between adventures in the city. Thank you for your comments on Michael's service and I will be sure to pass them along. We look forward to having you back soon as our guest. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

First and foremost the staff at the Affinia Gardens make this an excellent choice on the Upper East Side. In particular, Caprice at the front desk is supremely helpful and Pedro the Manager has always been more than accommodating. If you need an excellent restaurant suggestion, be sure to ask the smiling Bellmen Sal and Kris.

The rooms are clean and spacious and although we primarily dine out, the kitchenette has been a nice bonus. This hotel is the best choice when visiting the medical facilities (MKSCC, etc) but would also be great for business travel.

While you might find a more luxurious NYC hotel (at twice the price), you won't find a more pleasant and professional staff who always seem to be smiling.

Room Tip: As for a room with a balcony including the Penthouse level
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jeffrey S-

Thank you for recognizing the efforts of the Team Members that you encountered while a guest at the Affinia Gardens. Caprice, Pedro, Sal and Kris as well as the rest of the Team are always happy to assist and ensure that you have a memorable visit. I will certainly mention your comments and give them all the kudos they deserve. I agree that the hotel is in a great location no matter what the purpose of your visit to New York and it works well for business, pleasure or whatever other reasons may bring you to town. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here with 3 kids for 3 nights...first night we checked in late - greeted by black flies, giant moth, mosquitoes in room - housekeeping came at 10pm with a vacuum to help the situation - still swatting bugs trying to make morning coffee in room...hair in bathroom that was not ours - buckled carpet, broken lamp, flickering light in bathroom, cobwebs in ceiling corners- had walk out patio - not like pictures at all and even a mystery staircase leading down to an open door?! - due to late check in had no choice but to stay - they did switch our room the next day, mentioned compensation, but received none. Next room was also a suite - again nothing like the pictures - 8th floor so no patio - and no change in price. Used hotel website to make breakfast reservations at Alice's Tea Cup - even received confirmation from the concierge, but upon our arrival the restaurant did not have any reservation for us. Last morning, went to the complimentary coffee area and they were out of regular coffee - at 6:30AM. We will not be back and I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kelly C

Dear Kelly C-

I was extremely disappointed to read about the issues you encountered during your stay. While we did try to upgrade you upon arrival to better accommodate the size of your party, I can understand how any issues would certainly offset the gesture. I apologize that we did not handle the situation in a manner that was satisfactory to you and will reach out to you privately to ensure that we take care of this properly. Again, my apologies and I do hope you will reconsider and return to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I had the best experience staying here. We flew in from LA and arrived at 8AM. My family (wife, 2 kids, & 16 yr old niece) loved the comfy beds and the great location to subways and Central Park. The doorman Michael was especially helpful and made our stay very comfortable. He took the time to make sure we knew where to go, and helped with our luggage even before we were able to check in. He even took some very good pictures on our camera so we could have a complete family pic. Priceless. Very family friendly in my opinion. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014
Thank motusYT .

Dear motusYT-

It is such a treat to hear that your stay in NY was a success and we were part of it. Thank you for mentioning your interactions with Michael. I will be sure to recognize his efforts. I am happy to hear that he helped capture that special family picture- we often reflect back and someone is usually not in the picture- I am glad this will not be the case. We strive to make all guests comfortable and when we can do so with a full family, it means we are getting it right! Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.