My recent weekend with my wife and kids (6, 3) in NYC started off with some difficulty, was great fun through most of the trip and ended terribly.
We all enjoyed the Amtrak ride from Boston to NYC and transferred smoothly via taxicab from Penn Station to Affinia Gardens on the Upper East Side. Thankfully, the stroller fit into the cab's trunk!
On arrival at Affinia Gardens, our room was not ready yet. No worries since we were a few minutes early for normal check-in time and we were happy to go for a walk through Central Park. But 90 minutes later when we returned the room still wasn't ready. Fortunately the manager stepped in and offered us temporary use of a smaller room to get cleaned up for dinner. When we returned from dinner around 8pm, there still further confusion about whether our room was ready but we were eventually given a key... to a room that was already occupied. Back to the front desk where the manager got involved again and finally got us to the right room.
While checking in was a big hassle and the desk clerk was tough to deal with, the manager and bellhop were both friendly, helpful and did their best to remedy our problems.
We were impressed by the size of the Affinia's rooms, especially in light of the reasonable price and because most hotel rooms in NYC are really small. The temporary room we used was on the first floor and had a great outdoor patio. Both rooms had kitchenettes which is a big help when traveling with kids. Only drawback was in the bathroom where the toilet was so close to the bathroom door that the swinging door actually hit the toilet seat. It was difficult to get in and out of the bathroom without putting the toilet seat up.
The hotel was well located for our visit with friends and family who mostly live on the upper east side. It was walking distance to several kid-oriented attractions including the Central Park Zoo, Dylan's Candy Bar, and Serendipity's. And we chanced upon a nice playground about 3 blocks away.
All in all, good stay at the Affinia Gardens. Followed by a terrible time at Penn Station with canceled trains and then a Hertz reservation at a location with no cars. But that is another story...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tranquil. Thoughtful. Private. Just right for a little alone time in NYC. Discreetly located on the Upper East Side on an intimate, tree-lined street, the Gardens NYC is the picture of Manhattan gentility. It's surrounded by world-class NYC shopping and Manhattan's famed museums, adding grace and charm to its locale. But guests find it's just right for a tranquil retreat. With such great in-room service, you can simply take to your hotel suite and escape for some alone time. Our 129 suites, many larger than New York City apartments, offer generous living space, including full kitchens and large vanities with Hollywood lighting, making them ideal for stays of a day, a week or much, much longer. Hotel Services Fee is $25 plus tax per room, per night and provides you with the following amenities: · $10 daily food and drink credit to our Cupboard or Corner Store* · Daily Wine Hour during Social Sips from 5-6PM · Wireless Internet access for all of your devices · 10% off at Celebrity Chef Geoffrey Zakarian’s The National Bar & Dining Rooms · In-room gourmet coffee and tea offerings · Unlimited package handling and storage prior to and during your stay · Business services, including printing · Local and domestic long distance calls · 24/7 access to our state-of-the-art fitness centers · Access to Affinia bikes (where applicable) · Concierge services *Must be redeemed daily, credit may not be rolled over **Fee is exclusive of service gratuities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with JackRabbit Systems, Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Gardens Hotel New York City
- Affinia Gardens New York City