“Somewhat overrated”

GreenLeadersGold level
stockholm
“Somewhat overrated”
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I don't know if it is because we moved here after three nights at the impeccable Westin Jersey City Newport, but this hotel was somewhat of a letdown and we couldn't wait to get back to the Westin for our last two nights. We spent four nights at the Affinia Gardens and were offered a king with a bedsofa as opposed to the double queen we had booked as our room was not ready when we arrived. That was after I had politely declined the offer of paying USD40/night for upgrade to a junior suite. Not a problem because if the queen beds were as uncomfortable as the king bed, then we were grateful to have the bedsofa! If all four of us could have fitted in the double bedsofa, we would all have slept there to avoid waking with stiff necks and backs! The bathroom was a very pleasant surprise because, although compact, it was very well designed with half of one wall filled with a mirror and a ledge in front with plenty of room to lay out your toiletries. The white tiling looked quite fresh together with the good lighting. The kitchen was just as expected but we found we only prepared a lighter breakfast there as it was so expensive at the supermarkets a la Food Emporium in the area, that it was not much more expensive to dine out. The room itself was large by any standards and we were on the 6th floor overlooking the hospital and it was quiet at all times. The room was very clean and fortunately we did not experience any evidence of blood stains such as another recent reviewer wrote but we did witness a number of patients being wheeled in and looking the worse for wear (I thought it was only an eye, ear and throat hospital across the road, some of them looked like their were bandaged from head to toe?). The cleaning of the room was without fault, except that our towels were changed every day even though we had hung everything up (with advertising suggesting we do this, but they don't follow through on their environmental thinking since they continually replaced them). The entire establishment, from the lobby to the lifts and shabby carpet, looks tired, but in fairness, it is only a three star establishment. The location is excellent and just ten minutes' walk from Central Park. But what put me off this place is the below par service we received on arrival. We had booked on the internet on a special prepaid rate that actually included HSIA (which would otherwise cost USD15 per day). When I asked them to confirm this when we checked in (since I have read horror stories of guests being charged incorrectly for HSIA at other places), they asked me instead if I had something on paper to prove it. I was also advised in a non-professional manner that we were paying about 70% less than their rack rate, interpreted meaning that we should be lucky to even get a bed for that price, let alone having HSIA included. And the doorman who was standing there quipped in that if everyone paid that rate, soon they would be giving rooms away. Well, firstly, he had no idea what rate we paid but for the record, it cost USD169 per night plus tax and, if the Affinia Gardens does not like selling their rooms at that price, then they shouldn't make such deals available as it was booked directly on their own website via Travelzoo for access to the promo code. So I didn't dare to use the HSIA until I checked again the next day (with the same guy who checked us in) and he could then confirm it was included (but that it would be debited to our account then credited at checkout). The MyAffinia thing didn't work, but this may have been my fault as I did it only a few days prior to arrival and it couldn't match it up with my booking. So it might work next time I stay at an Affinia establishment (which will be never as I love Westin). So there was no pillow menu for us, although they did manage to provide us with the two I asked for at checkin (but again, told us we were really only entitled to one - why then is there a drag and drop action which allows the choosing of up to two pillows?). The BYOB kit was not available nor any of the others due to them being booked by other houseguests so the whole concept of tranquillity and ambience was lost as far as we were concerned. And, although the peppermint tea in the lobby was lovely, we didn't feel welcome enough to sit there and enjoy it after the very lukewarm welcome we received at checkin so we took it up to our room to enjoy and to avoid any possible comments from the staff (like perhaps they would complain that they were offering us a free cup of tea!). Had I known that we could get from WTC to Lex and 59th via Lexington Express train which takes less than 15 minutes, we would have stayed the entire time at the Westin and commuted over to Manhattan, even for getting to Central Park and visiting friends on the Upper East Side.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed 22 July 2009

We stayed here in July 2009. The room was huge but that didn't make up for the cleanliness and overwhelming "hospital smell" that permiated the stale air. There were multiple blood smears on the window blinds and wall. So disgusting. Apparently a lot of people stay here after they get surgery across the street. The drains in the bathroom clogged too. Some of the good things were: relatively quiet location, a nice tea selection, and patio room (but you could smell the cigarette smoke from other people on their patios).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
AGOManager, Alex Spektor, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2009
Dear Anon818,
My name is Alex Spektor and I am the General Manager of the Affinia Gardens Hotel. First, please allow me to apologize for the impression that our hotel has left you with.

I was very disappointed to learn about the cleaning issues in your suite. Our room attendants pride themselves on bringing each room back to top condition prior to every arrival and it seems that this was not the case during your stay.

All Affinia Hotels are non-smoking properties. Occasionally we have guests that fail to ovserve our no-smoking policy, and we do our best to convert the room back to non-smoking as quickly as possible. Each guest that violates this policy is also assessed an additional fee upon checkout. I am sorry that this made your stay less comfortable.

I am very interested in speaking with you further, so that I may better understand your experience and prevent it from happening to any future guests.

Anon818, please contact me directly by calling (212) 355-1230 or through e-mail aspektor@affinia.com. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Alex Spektor
Rhode Island, USA
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Understated sophistication, with the warmth of a European pension---the Affinia Gardens is truly an oasis of tranquility!

That this was our second visit to the Affinia Gardens in a year tells all. From Rhonda at reception to Kris, the doorman, to the housekeeping staff, genuine, unpretentious warmth is the hallmark of this great Upper East Side hotel.

But---it would be nice if coffee were returned to the tea bar....

1 Thank yosihanegbi
Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2009

My first visit to New York was unforgetable. I could not have asked for a more perfect hotel for our stay. The Affinia Gardens was more than I could have hoped for. Not only was the hotel beautiful, comfortable and clean but the staff could not have been more helpful. The location was great. Many attractions were within walking distance. My family and I can't wait to return to NY - and the Affinia Gardens - for our next vacation!

1 Thank CarterTexas
San Juan, PR
Reviewed 19 July 2009

This hidden jewel of a hotel is THE place to stay if you plan to spend a week or two in NYC on bussiness or vacation. I first heard about it from a good friend who has stayed there every summer for a number of years. The rooms are spatious and have a full kitchen - which allows you to significantly cut on the cost of meals during the vacation.
The staff is courteous and friendly. The service in general is second to none.The location is terrific - in a quiet neighborhood on the upper east side yet only a few blocks from Central Park and Rockfeller center...

1 Thank eyedocpr
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I've stayed in a couple of other Affinia hotels in NY and they are generally great, but the Affinia Gardens was outstanding because of the size and comfort of the room for the price paid. Can't imagine beating this anywhere in midtown NYC. NOTE: stay on the back side of the hotel, as it overlooks a park and is very quiet. Service was also great, staff very helpful and friendly. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank SueDC
New York
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Let me start by saying that "I don't do reviews". But we just got back from a trip to Manhattan with the kids and staying at the Affinia Gardens Hotel which was simply spectacular. We live in the tri-state area and I work in NYC, but when we were looking for a hotel to stay with the kids I wasn't looking for a traditional business hotel. I found the Affinia through the Children's Museum of Manhattan which was one of our stops with the kids (great for 3 to 6 year olds). During check-in the staff was very friendly and did whatever they could to ensure that our stay got off on the right foot. The location is fantastic, off the beaten path enough to be quiet but close to the Museums, Central Park, The Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Time Square and the Theater District. Our room was LARGE, comfortable, refreshingly cool, quiet and clean. We had a separate bedroom from the kids, which is what we were looking for. There are plenty of restaurants on 1st, 2nd and 3rd avenues or via a short cab ride. There is no restaurant in the hotel but they offer fast in-room delivery from several local places which we took advatage of twice. The cost was also very competitive for NYC especially given the size of the room and the fact that it had a kitchen in our two room suite. I really can't say enough about this hotel other than to add that it helped make this trip one of the best we have ever taken with the kids!! FIVE STARS.

3 Thank Kevin_US_NL