I don't know if it is because we moved here after three nights at the impeccable Westin Jersey City Newport, but this hotel was somewhat of a letdown and we couldn't wait to get back to the Westin for our last two nights. We spent four nights at the Affinia Gardens and were offered a king with a bedsofa as opposed to the double queen we had booked as our room was not ready when we arrived. That was after I had politely declined the offer of paying USD40/night for upgrade to a junior suite. Not a problem because if the queen beds were as uncomfortable as the king bed, then we were grateful to have the bedsofa! If all four of us could have fitted in the double bedsofa, we would all have slept there to avoid waking with stiff necks and backs! The bathroom was a very pleasant surprise because, although compact, it was very well designed with half of one wall filled with a mirror and a ledge in front with plenty of room to lay out your toiletries. The white tiling looked quite fresh together with the good lighting. The kitchen was just as expected but we found we only prepared a lighter breakfast there as it was so expensive at the supermarkets a la Food Emporium in the area, that it was not much more expensive to dine out. The room itself was large by any standards and we were on the 6th floor overlooking the hospital and it was quiet at all times. The room was very clean and fortunately we did not experience any evidence of blood stains such as another recent reviewer wrote but we did witness a number of patients being wheeled in and looking the worse for wear (I thought it was only an eye, ear and throat hospital across the road, some of them looked like their were bandaged from head to toe?). The cleaning of the room was without fault, except that our towels were changed every day even though we had hung everything up (with advertising suggesting we do this, but they don't follow through on their environmental thinking since they continually replaced them). The entire establishment, from the lobby to the lifts and shabby carpet, looks tired, but in fairness, it is only a three star establishment. The location is excellent and just ten minutes' walk from Central Park. But what put me off this place is the below par service we received on arrival. We had booked on the internet on a special prepaid rate that actually included HSIA (which would otherwise cost USD15 per day). When I asked them to confirm this when we checked in (since I have read horror stories of guests being charged incorrectly for HSIA at other places), they asked me instead if I had something on paper to prove it. I was also advised in a non-professional manner that we were paying about 70% less than their rack rate, interpreted meaning that we should be lucky to even get a bed for that price, let alone having HSIA included. And the doorman who was standing there quipped in that if everyone paid that rate, soon they would be giving rooms away. Well, firstly, he had no idea what rate we paid but for the record, it cost USD169 per night plus tax and, if the Affinia Gardens does not like selling their rooms at that price, then they shouldn't make such deals available as it was booked directly on their own website via Travelzoo for access to the promo code. So I didn't dare to use the HSIA until I checked again the next day (with the same guy who checked us in) and he could then confirm it was included (but that it would be debited to our account then credited at checkout). The MyAffinia thing didn't work, but this may have been my fault as I did it only a few days prior to arrival and it couldn't match it up with my booking. So it might work next time I stay at an Affinia establishment (which will be never as I love Westin). So there was no pillow menu for us, although they did manage to provide us with the two I asked for at checkin (but again, told us we were really only entitled to one - why then is there a drag and drop action which allows the choosing of up to two pillows?). The BYOB kit was not available nor any of the others due to them being booked by other houseguests so the whole concept of tranquillity and ambience was lost as far as we were concerned. And, although the peppermint tea in the lobby was lovely, we didn't feel welcome enough to sit there and enjoy it after the very lukewarm welcome we received at checkin so we took it up to our room to enjoy and to avoid any possible comments from the staff (like perhaps they would complain that they were offering us a free cup of tea!). Had I known that we could get from WTC to Lex and 59th via Lexington Express train which takes less than 15 minutes, we would have stayed the entire time at the Westin and commuted over to Manhattan, even for getting to Central Park and visiting friends on the Upper East Side.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tranquil. Thoughtful. Private. Just right for a little alone time in NYC. Discreetly located on the Upper East Side on an intimate, tree-lined street, the Gardens NYC is the picture of Manhattan gentility. It's surrounded by world-class NYC shopping and Manhattan's famed museums, adding grace and charm to its locale. But guests find it's just right for a tranquil retreat. With such great in-room service, you can simply take to your hotel suite and escape for some alone time. Our 129 suites, many larger than New York City apartments, offer generous living space, including full kitchens and large vanities with Hollywood lighting, making them ideal for stays of a day, a week or much, much longer. Hotel Services Fee is $25 plus tax per room, per night and provides you with the following amenities: · $10 daily food and drink credit to our Cupboard or Corner Store* · Daily Wine Hour during Social Sips from 5-6PM · Wireless Internet access for all of your devices · 10% off at Celebrity Chef Geoffrey Zakarian’s The National Bar & Dining Rooms · In-room gourmet coffee and tea offerings · Unlimited package handling and storage prior to and during your stay · Business services, including printing · Local and domestic long distance calls · 24/7 access to our state-of-the-art fitness centers · Access to Affinia bikes (where applicable) · Concierge services *Must be redeemed daily, credit may not be rolled over **Fee is exclusive of service gratuities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Gardens Hotel New York City
- Affinia Gardens New York City