I have stayed in many hotels recently, spanning from Southeast Asia to this one in New York at the tail end of my vacation. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, visiting the website in awe at the wonderful ammenties included and finding a fantastic deal on the nightly rate, I couldn't resist and booked a room for a week as part of a gift. I really wanted to like this hotel, but in the end couldn't.
First the positives:
-The complimentary tea bar is a great addition, it would be nice if they put some of that tea in the room for you as well.
-The hotel is quiet, a nice oasis in the bustling city.
-The hotel manager is very courteous and eager to help, definitely a plus.
-The room was clean and well maintained for the course of the week.
-The location is great. Nearby subways (F and N,R,W lines very close) and easily walkable (4 or 5 blocks) to Central Park. Also, nearby the M66 bus stop which takes you across the park to the Lincoln Center on the Upper West Side.
The negatives (not as many but deal breakers for me):
-You are an inconvenience to the staff. Our flight was delayed coming into JFK, we didn't get in until midnight. I realized that it was late and called the hotel to confirm that I was still coming. When we got there our room was ready, but only a single security worker manning the front desk. We spoke with him and he got the worker for the night. It was apparent that they did not appreciate me being there and even let out a sigh or frustration when I asked about ordering room service. I realize that it was late, but I also realize that it is a hotel which should be catering to guests. I've arrived later at the Holiday Inn and been treated with more courtesy.
-I assumed this incident was isolated, it wasn't. I am young, so were my guests. We stay out late and wake up early. Every evening there was either no one in front or the staff made certain to tell us that it was late (once as early as 9pm...it's NEW YORK). Every morning I recieved questionable looks/tones about arranging wake up calls. I choose to stay at a hotel for convenience and privacy. I do not pay for the staff to demonstrate opinions.
-Housekeekping did minimal work, whose quality changed day to day. Some days were amazing, like stepping into a new room, some days were horrible and we were welcomed to strange smells. At least none of my stuff was missing.
-As another reviewer noted, Affinia hotels offer online customization of room ammenities. This includes everything from a special pillow to particular care packages offered as complimentary services for the guests. A definite plus. However, this convenience is negated when it isn't acted upon. Not a big deal, but I'd rather they not advertise something that doesn't exist (or doesn't work).
-We asked the workers about internet access. It's not available complimentary anywhere. There is no business center for guests, there's a single computer you can pay to use. I eventually got so tired of asking them for things I paid for in room internet, $12.95 a night.
-Personal ammenities such as shaving cream, toothpaste, razors, etc. are provided if you ask the front desk. I was given irritated reactions when I asked for them
-This one's just personal preference, but the hotel definitely caters to an older/family crowd. The first few days, I didn't see a single person under 50 besides the workers. Nothing wrong with that, but for me it would have been nice to know. I loved the spa-esqe atmosphere, just wish I had known that the space was meant for the elderly and families.
Bottom line, the hotel wasn't bad, a steal for what we paid. At regular price, it's terrible and well below par. There are definitely nicer places to stay in New York this hotel offers nothing beyond a typical hotel experience. The only way for them to stand out is their service, and it flopped big time. I don't know if it was just an off week, but something is not right here. The hotel was good for what it is, but the lack of couteous service really irked me and will prevent me from returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tranquil. Thoughtful. Private. Just right for a little alone time in NYC. Discreetly located on the Upper East Side on an intimate, tree-lined street, the Gardens NYC is the picture of Manhattan gentility. It's surrounded by world-class NYC shopping and Manhattan's famed museums, adding grace and charm to its locale. But guests find it's just right for a tranquil retreat. With such great in-room service, you can simply take to your hotel suite and escape for some alone time. Our 129 suites, many larger than New York City apartments, offer generous living space, including full kitchens and large vanities with Hollywood lighting, making them ideal for stays of a day, a week or much, much longer. Hotel Services Fee is $25 plus tax per room, per night and provides you with the following amenities: · $10 daily food and drink credit to our Cupboard or Corner Store* · Daily Wine Hour during Social Sips from 5-6PM · Wireless Internet access for all of your devices · 10% off at Celebrity Chef Geoffrey Zakarian’s The National Bar & Dining Rooms · In-room gourmet coffee and tea offerings · Unlimited package handling and storage prior to and during your stay · Business services, including printing · Local and domestic long distance calls · 24/7 access to our state-of-the-art fitness centers · Access to Affinia bikes (where applicable) · Concierge services *Must be redeemed daily, credit may not be rolled over **Fee is exclusive of service gratuities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Gardens Hotel New York City
- Affinia Gardens New York City