“Extremely comfortable stay in brilliant location for shopping and sightseeing”

Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #71 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Affinia Gardens is perfectly situated for visitors wanting to experience life on the Upper East Side - its within easy walking distance for all the major shopping streets as well as Central Park, the Met, MOMA and many more. The hotel itself was ideal as it offered a comfortable and spacious base with extremely welcoming and helpful staff who offered a number of great recommendations including Alice's Tea Cup tea room for breakfast.

The hotel does not have a breakfast room or restaurant therefore is for suitable for visitors who intend to eat out during their trip and with so many excellent eating places near by I would recommend doing this. I was also given the opportunity to view the available rooms before selecting which one I wanted.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sid87
ASpektor, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2010

Dear Sid87,

My name is Alex Spektor and i am the General Manager of the Affinia Gardens. We truly appreciate your valuable comments about our hotel and the area. I will be sure to share your review with our team. Although we do not have a restaurant, we do partner with 4 different restaurants on UES who can deliver room service to your suite and you can charge it directly to your room bill.
We look forward for your return stay at the Affinia Gardens Soon!

There are newer reviews for Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel

Reviewed 16 June 2010

I'm trying hard to find a flaw in the Affinia Gardens hotel and it is not easy. Everything was functional, staff was incredibly helpful, the room was huge.... I mean really giagantic with a kitchenette. The air conditioning was the quietest, best functioning unit I have ever experienced in a hotel room.
Very small criticisms might include: an older tube type TV instead of a large flat screen as you might expect; the stairway from floor to floor was kind of unpleasant, but we only used it once. Also, I continue to be frustrated by the $15 per day charge for internet access. It seems to be typical of many hotels to extract this extra fee, and Affinia Gardens is no different, but it still bugs me.
There is no contenetial breakfast, just continuously available tea in a small room off the lobby, but we were fine with that. I was perplexed about the "gardens". The name implies that there are gardens, but if there are, we never found them.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We really like the Affinia Hotels in NYC -- we stayed at the Affinia Dumont last year and tried the Affinia Gardens this time because of close proximity to Central Park. It is a great hotel with a unique complimentary tea bar. I would loved to have had one of the rooms/suites with a patio, but opted for less expensive one which was still wonderful -very spacious and nicely appointed. Really comfortable, quality beds. LOVE the fully equipped kitchen - nice size refrigerator - makes it great for mornings, snacks, lite lunch, etc. It was close to Central Park, but still a little bit farther walk than we thought. Very close to Bloomingdale's and other great shopping! Nice upscale neighborhood.

We were a little confused about "complimentary breakfast" - would have cost us $10.00 each so we opted out. Overheard someone else looking for the breakfast area - never saw it ??? The staff is very friendly and accommodating - they really try to help with directions, etc. but a couple of times they didn't know all the little details that can be helpful; eg; we wanted to go to Junior's Restaurant near the theatre where Lion King was playing, but they gave us the address for the one at Grand Central .

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
AGOManager, Executive Office Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2010

Dear MSSarah2010,

Thank you very much for your review! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your suite so much. It sounds like you got familiar with many of the wonderful things the neighborhood has to offer!

I also wanted to clear things up about our breakfast in the hotel. Unfortunately, at this time we do not have a breakfast area. We only have delivery directly to our guest rooms. Breakfast comes as an additional service that can be added to the guest account. This way, our guests do not have to worry about what to eat each morning. Breakfast is included in some of our packages, but is generally charged per person directly to the room.

I hope this clears things up, and we hope to have you join us for another cup of our signature tea in the very near future.

Be Well,
Emily Workman
Executive Office Manager

Reviewed 13 June 2010

The real selling point of this hotel - for me - was the location. 3 blocks away from a subway station, lots of restaurants and shops nearby, easy access to downtown theatre district, upper east side, central park and even a quick subway ride to Union Sq or Soho. Gives you the feel of living in a Manhattan neighbourhood while having good links to other sights and to all the necessary amenitiies (pharmacy, supermarket, salon, bank, cinema are all within one block). It's got a great low price in comparison to other hotels in the same location/class.
The staff were really helpful and friendly - always smiling. Loved the fresh iced tea at reception! Some excellent restaurants on the same street if you are tired after a day of sightseeing (try China Fun across the road)
We had a one bedroom suite with a sitting room, small kitchen (quite outdated and a bit rickety) and a nice living room with a desk and TV. Very comfortable beds and good decor. However, the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. They did clean every day but they never did a proper thorough job. The bathroom was always left dusty and kind of half-heartedly wiped up. Would expect more for a hotel of this class!
All in all, would definitely recommend for the great service, good location and excellent price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
ASpektor, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2010

Dear honeymoonhunt ,

My name is Alex Spektor and I am the General Manager of the Affinia Gardens Hotel. Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at our hotel. Affinia Gardens is designed to offer you a true Upper East Side experience just as if you were a New Yorker and all within a close proximity to the center of the city.
Our Housekeeping Department takes great pride in their daily work and i was surprised to learn about the challenges with cleanliness. However, we are addressing your comments with the staff.
We hope to welcome you back at the Affinia Gardens Hotel in the very near future!

Reviewed 11 June 2010

The staff was comforting and the rooms were clean with precise climate control. The room was huge for the value, unexpectedly delightful with a kitchenette and simply a place I need to go back to. The beds, divine.

The Tea room is more than tea. It is where you can meditate on the beautiful floor pillows, where you can sip on specialty teas, all while having some fascinating conversations with the staff members.

Calm, serene and comforting was an experience I had at this hotel during the worst crisis of my life. Thank you, Affinia.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We had a one bedroom suite that was just what we were looking for. The rooms were spacious, the bathroom was very clean and the beds were so comfortable. Everything you could ask for. I would definitely return.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and children for an extended Memorial Day weekend trip. This was actually my second stay here. My first was for business in December, 2009. I liked the hotel so much that I decided if I ever brought my family to NYC, we would stay here.

The Affinia Gardens is a very nice hotel on the Upper East Side (64th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues). The rooms are large by NYC standards. We stayed in a one bedroom suite, which had two queen beds in the bedroom, a living room with a pull out couch, a small kitchen and one bath. They also have one bedroom deluxe suites which have a larger living room and a dining area - which is the type of room I had in December. If I go again with the family, I will definitely choose a deluxe suite over a regular suite - there is a lot more room.

The hotel is in a nice area of NYC - a short walk from Central Park and several subway stations - so getting around is no problem. It is also very close to Bloomingdales and other shopping meccas on Lexington Avenue.

The real charm of this place is the staff. Everyone who works at the Affinia Gardens that we came in contact with was wonderful - always asking if you were enjoying yourself and if there is anything they could do to help you. It started from the moment my wife checked in without me - when the doorman opend the doors to our van for the kids and quickly gave them a keycard so they could go to the bathroom in the lobby.

We met the GM at a manager's wine and cheese reception on Friday. She was a very nice woman, whose name I unfortunately can't recall. She has been with the company for 10 years. When I remarked to her about how nice everyone at the hotel was, she explained that Affinia is a family owned business that makes customer satisfaction its top priority.

Kris Karol, the bellman/doorman, deserves special mention. He was absolutely wonderful with my youngest daughter on the morning of her birthday, when my wife and she were heading out to breakfast at the American Girl store. He made an incredible fuss. On the day we checked out, he came and got our bags in our room; stored them for us; and gave us a phone number to call about 15 minutes before we were going to be ready to leave. We called him and 15 minutes later when we got to the front of the hotel, not only was our van there, Kris had it loaded with all of our luggage. A very nice touch which allowed us to hold onto the relaxation of our vacation for a few more hours.

If I had to find something to complain about, it would be about the kitchen supplies. The Affinia advertises a "fully stocked" kitchen. I would not exactly call it "fully stocked". I'm not sure I could have cooked a meal there. However, there was enough to allow us to get by.

Overall the Affinia Gardens is a very nice hotel with a superior staff. I would not hesitate to stay here again, for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank cjbesq
mmurat, Front Office Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2010

Thank you so very much for taking the time to complete a trip advisor comment regarding your experience at our Hotel. Its comments like these that make us enjoy what we do on a daily basis. I appreciate the acknowledgment of our charming staff and feedback regarding kitchen supplies. I’ve taken good notes and will definitely follow up. Please consider Affinia your hotel choice for any future travels…….Marjory Murat (Director of front office Operations)